(Topic ID: 231470)

M & EM gun game Target material.

By Moto_bone

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0470 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0469 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0120 (1) (resized).JPG
    100_1816 (resized).JPG
    100_1770 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20181221_170747 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181221_161415 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181221_160924 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181220_234539 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181217_235258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181217_234830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0788 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0787 (resized).JPG
    Crossfire original scenery (resized).jpg
    Cross fire new scenery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0469 (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

I'm looking for suitable black paper material for making new gun game drop targets with.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

dont know what gun game your working on but i cut out some animals for a couple of dale guns.best material i found in black was using the black backing from picture frames..this material will not curl or fold from moisture and is tough enough spin,or pop up as targets with out ripping or hollowing out hole to mount them..a bitch to cut out with razor knife but this best i found so far..good luck on your gun game..just got a chicago coin shoot out myself

#3 5 years ago

I used laminate (most people call it formica) that is usually glued to particle board to make countertops ( pre-granite)
    I found it to be strong, paintable and drillable. Does not curl and takes a beating.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from belairjoe:

dont know what gun game your working on but i cut out some animals for a couple of dale guns.best material i found in black was using the black backing from picture frames..this material will not curl or fold from moisture and is tough enough spin,or pop up as targets with out ripping or hollowing out hole to mount them..a bitch to cut out with razor knife but this best i found so far..good luck on your gun game..just got a chicago coin shoot out myself

I don't need the targets perse. I want to make some spare parts for my Bally Midnight Marauders.

I've got a laser so I'll be cutting them out with a laser and also cutting stencils to airbrush the neon blacklight activated paints.

I wish I could find the picture frame backing material in bulk sheet!

Thanks for the idea!

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I used laminate (most people call it formica) that is usually glued to particle board to make countertops ( pre-granite)
    I found it to be strong, paintable and drillable. Does not curl and takes a beating.

Do you have any pictures of finished targets from this method?

#6 5 years ago

original and some laminate I had lying around.

100_1818 (resized).JPG100_1818 (resized).JPG100_1842 (resized).JPG100_1842 (resized).JPG
    #7 5 years ago

Very nice work!

All hand painted?!

#8 5 years ago

This scenery was done with vinyl. It was installed in a Midway's Deluxe Shooting Gallery air compressor
    gun game. It holds up very well..

IMG_0469 (resized).JPGIMG_0469 (resized).JPG
    #9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Moto_bone:

All hand painted?!

Yes.
    The targets were all hand painted and sealed.
    I remade all the scenery on 1/8" birch plywood. I used Frisket and an airbrush for the larger work and hand painted the rest. Then sealed that as well.

Cross fire new scenery (resized).jpgCross fire new scenery (resized).jpgCrossfire original scenery (resized).jpgCrossfire original scenery (resized).jpg
    #10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

This scenery was done with vinyl

Did you use a silhouette cutter and layer it or is it printed on vinyl?

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Did you use a silhouette cutter and layer it or is it printed on vinyl?

It was my Graphic Designer that digitized, and then put it on vinyl.
    Because I had it put on plexi (maybe lexan), I asked if maybe adhering it on the backside might be best, but
    he insured me that if put on the front, it could handle the punishment, and was proven to be right..
    If it was placed on the backside, then the art work would have been placed on clear vinyl (in reverse) then
    white vinyl over that such as this backglass. Black was added over the white for light block out..

IMG_0787 (resized).JPGIMG_0787 (resized).JPGIMG_0788 (resized).JPGIMG_0788 (resized).JPG
    #12 5 years ago

That looks very similar to the way Steve at bgresto does the back glasses

#13 5 years ago

Yes, I believe Steve uses vinyl, and somewhat bakes it on, thus only applies it onto glass..
    My Graphic Designer doesn't use the heat process, so many I have put on plexi. The Genco Two Player
    Basketball glass as shown above needed holes drilled through it for the two upper baskets, so it was applied
    on lexan. I have backglasses from when I first began this procedure back in the mid 90s, and no problem. All is 100%
    attached..
    And I just learned today that he began digitizing the glass for the 1956 Williams Fun House. Rare machine.
    Looking forward to getting that one in.. (T)

#14 5 years ago

Is it a friend who does the work or are you paying for it?

#15 5 years ago

After 20 some years, he became a Friend. Although doing backglasses isn't his normal business,
    vinyl is. I pay for what is done and it's well worth it. When digitized, the glasses come out fine enough that
    many times I've traded for new silk screen glasses. Back in the 90s, with all the ball bowlers with poor glasses
    that I was getting in, he saved me big time..

#16 5 years ago

Playing with laser cutting the targets. I'm thinking I'll try some black mat board for framing photos and art.

I'll be laser cutting a stencil setup for it as well!

IMG_20181217_234830 (resized).jpgIMG_20181217_234830 (resized).jpgIMG_20181217_235258 (resized).jpgIMG_20181217_235258 (resized).jpg
    #17 5 years ago

Is that wood or laminate?

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Is that wood or laminate?

Wood. I am however going to try the mat board that you would use for framing pictures and such.

Trying to reduce steps. If I can use a Black color material then all I have to do is Laser cut the stencils and make a fixture that I can literally just change the stencil and it locates perfectly Everytime.

#19 5 years ago

I think I've found a good method for my tooling. I've got to dial it in a little better but here's a first one on Mat board!
    IMG_20181220_234539 (resized).jpgIMG_20181220_234539 (resized).jpgIMG_20181221_160924 (resized).jpgIMG_20181221_160924 (resized).jpgIMG_20181221_161415 (resized).jpgIMG_20181221_161415 (resized).jpgIMG_20181221_170747 (resized).jpgIMG_20181221_170747 (resized).jpg

#20 5 years ago

Nice. Where did you get the fluorescent paint?

3 weeks later
    #21 5 years ago

Hi guys, I'm restoring a 1961 Bally Marksman air compressor gun game. One of my major concerns is that the scenery background is very warped, so much so that some of the targets rub on it and the balls get stuck in some places. On the backside, its a dark red material. I am wondering if anyone and any advice on how to flatten it? Thanks!

#22 5 years ago

any idea what the material is?
    Plastic, cardboard , metal ( unlikely) ?

#23 5 years ago

My first thought was that it was Bakelite. It's not metal or plastic for sure

#24 5 years ago

I have not see bakolite warp unless it experienced very hot conditions.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I have not see bakolite warp unless it experienced very hot conditions.

I will try and take some pictures that describe it better

#26 5 years ago

Ok doing more research it seems to be a material called Masonite...

#27 5 years ago

If is masonite, you can get that from home depot

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

If is masonite, you can get that from home depot

Yep looks like it. Thanks for your help, now to just re create the artwork on the new stuff!

#29 5 years ago

Frisket and an airbrush.
    You have the artwork there to copy so that is half the battle.

I redid all of the artwork inside a Williams Crossfire Gun game it is really not that hard

100_1770 (resized).JPG100_1770 (resized).JPG100_1816 (resized).JPG100_1816 (resized).JPG
    #30 5 years ago

I had the scenery made on Midway's Deluxe Shooting Gallery, and Midway's Shooting Gallery
    from vinyl. Made a mistake not hanging onto the Deluxe, but I have another in line..
    I believe I have taken scenery out, and applied opposite pressure for a period of time to make it
    more flat..
    I have a Marksman in storage, but haven't gone through it yet..

IMG_0120 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0120 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0469 (resized).JPGIMG_0469 (resized).JPGIMG_0470 (resized).JPGIMG_0470 (resized).JPG

#31 5 years ago

I have a very talented artist friend that I was going to have do it with a brush.

#32 5 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions and pictures!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/m-amp-em-gun-game-target-material?hl=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.