(Topic ID: 297808)

Lyman Sheats out at Stern?

By parsonsaj

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).jpg
    8-ball-yes (resized).jpg
    kpp (resized).jpg
    Oi Mania.png
    pajamakid (resized).jpeg
    A92C89C3-A63B-4EC0-AD64-F50AAB8C8985.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F998EB37-8160-4B7D-B603-A17364C5A05D (resized).jpeg
    lyman (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20210801-220313_Chrome (resized).jpg
    80E57D98-FC06-4C6D-B9D2-8C545145CFBF (resized).png
    58FBFC62-1B37-43F5-9736-83388070EFF6 (resized).jpeg
    CD226F59-9808-4DE6-9113-EDE47514A293 (resized).jpeg
    kaneda5 (resized).png
    kaneda4 (resized).png
    kaneda2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 2 years ago

OP should probably change thread title

#158 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:How did nobody know this for months and months? What was EHOH's last code update? I'm shocked.

it was in March. So that’s a little weird. But “beginning of the year” might mean February and that Stern pushed the update after he was gone. Or now he’s just a 1099 and can do whatever he wants, like destroy noobs in tournaments

#160 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Does it enter the Wheel of Fortune hall of fame, code wise?

Oh hell no. EHOH kind of sucked when it was first released but the next code update, and EVERY ONE after that have been amazing. It’s not even in the same universe. They were just so good, it’s too bad there won’t be a final couple of modes as were projected.

#184 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Elvira had a code update in March and Lyman was long gone by then. He didn't do that code update, just like he won't be doing future code updates that come out for that game.
    The AC/DC lunatics may want to let it go at this point however...

An educated guess since this is my job: He almost certainly did do that update - just not in March. Stern has to QA it, which I’m sure they did. Say Lyman finished it in January, Stern QAs it, found a bug or two, somebody else has to step in and fix said bug, takes them a month because it’s not their code.

#257 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Not like Lyman used a proprietary code he only knows. Any good software programmer can fix or update game code.

Of course. But it takes significantly more time for someone else to come in and figure everything out. Even the best developer in the world can't make understanding the rules, understanding the code structure and bug hunting take less time.

#258 2 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

I have no idea what his salary at Stern was, but just a hunch that he was most likely extremely underpaid for the work that he did. Sure he could get much more working for another (non pinball) company.. it just probably won't be as fun or fulfilling. In any case, I hope he's happy wherever he lands. Super nice guy from the few times I got to chat with him.

The legends of him doing code updates from home make clear that probably no one could ever pay him what he's worth. Companies are kept afloat by employees like that, which makes this all the more shocking (no I don't mean Stern is about to go under).

#311 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Those who know him respect his privacy.

I just want him to know he’s awesome and wherever he ends up - or doesn’t - I’ve appreciated (and owned!) every game he’s worked on.

#321 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

It shows when he invests a lot of his own personal time into his games. I don't think you can down play the external pressure, though. Pinball fans can be extremely demanding for code updates and expectations for Lyman games are sky high. If he needs a break, he certainly deserves it without people hounding him. If he gets involved in another project, pretty sure we will hear about it soon enough.

Well said. My god, after spending just a couple days on Pinside I’d never want to work in this industry! Love for the game has to be the only reason everyone puts up with all this. Or does the sensible thing and quits Pinside! I’ve never heard anyone say anything negative about Lyman, but it doesn’t matter. People are dunking on Steve Richie now! It’s ridiculous

#328 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

He only came out to post after it was said he releases games "bare to the bone" back to the B/W days. He wasn't having that and posted to correct it.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=sir_tankalot

Yeah, I mean that is kind of BS. "bare to the bone"? Even Monster Bash which is lighter on the rules is a killer game

#367 2 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

The internet and social media makes location testing nearly impossible. How long after a game gets put on location for testing before crappy cell phone footage would show up on Pinside or Facebook accompanied by some “review” of game play?

Same exact thing stand up comics say. It’s impossible to work out material on stage (which is a necessity to make it good) because 2 minutes later it’s posted on YouTube as “worst comedian ever”, and suddenly they can’t get booked.

1 month later
    #416 2 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

Kaneda confirmed today on his podcast that Lyman is at CGC and will be working on CCr and other games. That is a huge pick up for CGC and major loss for Stern. Likely won't impact Stern's business since they are a juggernaut but it definitely sparks my interest in what's to come from CGC since they now have one of the best coders in pinball. Supposedly another big name joined CGC as well and will be announced later today.

Wow, what a huge pickup for CGC! I am really bummed Lyman won't be able to finish Elvira's HoH, which I think(?) was his last game at Stern, but this is going to mean CGC can really get out there and compete with the other manufacturers directly - especially as I understand they are doing an original theme after CCr.

If it's true, of course.

#464 2 years ago
    Quoted from jester523:

Lots if people like to be contractors because you can write stuff off. One of the down sides is you have to pay self-employment tax (which is the half of your social security and Medicare that your employee pays for you). There are some good options for retirement savings as a contractor, just not a typical 401k. Marketplace Healthcare sucks. I think that's alot better when you are with a big company

We have “marketplace healthcare” (I have a small LLC), and I pay LESS than I did for our family than when I was a W-2 for the exact same coverage. Depends on what you need I guess

I use a Rabbi’s trust for retirement plan. As long as I don’t dissolve the company, I can put up to 100% of annual revenue into the plan, tax free. We need living expenses obviously, but it’s a pretty damn good setup.

#466 2 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Wow that’s generous. When you retire are you taxed at all taking it out?

Yes, faxed as income at the time you take it out - but the plan is to not have other income at that time, so I’d be taxed in the lowest bracket. Our house is almost paid for so I don’t plan on having a mortgage, unless my kid goes to some super expensive school (not currently the plan!). We live in an area which isn’t predicted to be dramatically affected by climate change, other than the awful heat, so I dont expect we will move any time soon either.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lyman-sheats-out-at-stern?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.