(Topic ID: 297808)

Lyman Sheats out at Stern?

By parsonsaj

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).jpg
    8-ball-yes (resized).jpg
    kpp (resized).jpg
    Oi Mania.png
    pajamakid (resized).jpeg
    A92C89C3-A63B-4EC0-AD64-F50AAB8C8985.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F998EB37-8160-4B7D-B603-A17364C5A05D (resized).jpeg
    lyman (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20210801-220313_Chrome (resized).jpg
    80E57D98-FC06-4C6D-B9D2-8C545145CFBF (resized).png
    58FBFC62-1B37-43F5-9736-83388070EFF6 (resized).jpeg
    CD226F59-9808-4DE6-9113-EDE47514A293 (resized).jpeg
    kaneda5 (resized).png
    kaneda4 (resized).png
    kaneda2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Elwin and Lyman are Stern's top coders,

Elwin doesn’t code.

#20 2 years ago

I feel bad I can’t remember his name, but I think it’s been the same coder on all Elwin games.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

How close is Stern production capacity to Williams production from back in the day? Anyone know? I think I read Stern can do 400 units a week now?

Assuming there are no supply chain issues and they have the workforce in place, they have the capacity for around 115 games a day.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What the hell is “Oi Mania”? I owned ACDC for years (sold it years ago too) and saw it all or so I thought.

Frenzy mode. It’s like the 4-5th “stuff” award. And very impressive you’ve seen Encore. So hard to get to that.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Unless it was added much later, I guess I must have seen it then. I scored 2B once. That game was one of the greatest pinball games of my life. I loved me some ACDC man. Great freaking game. One of Lyman’s best.

Added when the vault games came out. Doesn’t work though.

#216 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I still don't understand what the hell I'm doing or how to even complete a song.

The songs can’t be completed. Just play them long enough until the right orbit lights to change the song. Then you’re done with that one.

#228 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I don’t think how long you play matters.

I was breaking it down into baby terms for Boobie.

And every song allows you to do the same things to light the next song. The actual song shots don’t matter to lighting the next song. Find your 8 tasks and stick to them.

Completing the top lanes
    Completing a pop bumper level
    Hitting any of the major shots (5)
    Completing any of the target banks (4)
    Completing the bottom lanes

#232 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I've played AC/DC hundreds of times over the years and never had a clue about any of this. Horribly non-intuitive ruleset.
    Only thing I knew (and the only thing that matters in competition apparently) is ramp out for multiball, keep hitting ramps, get 2x or 3x going, and at some point fire the cannon.

Yep. That’s really all you need to know to score big.

But agree. Not intuitive at all. How do I know what song shots I have already completed towards lighting the next song?

I think instant info says how many you have completed, but not which ones.

#236 2 years ago

Well I’ve gotten 3x song jackpots in TNT over 250 million so what now?!? Haha

TNT or bust!!!!

#239 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Also, I don't think a 100 mil 3x song jackpot is that crazy?

It’s not. And I’ve tried for years for a 300 million song jackpot. 250 is the best I could do. Even if you’re crushing TS HB or TNT it takes a lot of survival to get the base to 100 million. TNT is the quickest path though. You can get those song shots to over 1mm a piece.

#252 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

TNT, while quicker, is far more dangerous than doing what I suggest,

How high to the thunderstruck song shots get? I’ve never seen them higher than 500-750k. I can get the TNT shots up to 1.2 million quickly. Just have to know when to lock in the hurry ups.

#253 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chuckwebster:

in the old code when playing in Hells Bells the VIP button would ring the bell. this was a way of extending your playfield multipliers which led to some super high jackpots.

All attempts I’ve made for the 300 song jackpot has been on new code.

#254 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

I think VIP passes award the next shot you need to make?

Yes. Some things changed on new code. So for hell’s bells it gives you a bell hit, but doesn’t do anything with the multipliers.

#264 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I don't have exact numbers...see above where I said that I haven't played the most recent code revision. We do have a pro locally in an arcade...I'm going to see if I can find out what code rev. they have and if it's the newer one, I'll try both TNT and Thunderstruck, and see. We might both be right.....just on different code revisions. I don't know. There's also a very distinct possibility that I'm so bad at TNT on a pro that I won't get a chance to really see...I'm not ashamed to admit that when I owned my Premium, even, TNT was by *FAR* the biggest gatekeeper to getting to wizard mode. I actually had to sell the game, it pissed me off so much when I couldn't get past TNT and start another song on ball 1, that's how deadly it was on my game.

The key to TNT is using your VIP passes to make it so you never have to hit the middle target after the TNT. But on the pro, I assume this is a lot easier since the target is just the middle standup.

#268 2 years ago

I switched to TNT only a while ago. I’ve played AC/DC long enough that TNT is the only song that gets my blood pumping anymore.

Key is get the middle target hurry up going, the shoot a major shot, and before it registers, vip to light the major shots and lock in the shots hurry up value at max.

#330 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

He only came out to post after it was said he releases games "bare to the bone" back to the B/W days. He wasn't having that and posted to correct it.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=sir_tankalot

Stern games people. And I still feel horrible about that. But it was an accurate statement. All stern games from Lyman are amazing but took a long time for each to get to the finish line. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Every coding lead does things differently.

#336 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It wasn't an accurate statement back then because you didn't qualify it by saying Stern era. You just said 100% of Lyman's games are released bare to the bone, which was wrong.

We were in a stern only thread talking about stern games. All BW games were released complete. I mad a bad assumption that everyone would know I was talking stern. The initial question was what sterns coding cadences are. In a stern thread.

#337 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It wasn't an accurate statement back then because you didn't qualify it by saying Stern era. You just said 100% of Lyman's games are released bare to the bone, which was wrong. His B/W were essentially complete (and VERY complete by Stern standards) at release except for some very niggly stuff.
    I got an upvote from Lyman for defending his record by correcting that assertion, before he posted himself, so thanks. Small miracles.

Also I think i was his first and only downvote. Haha.

#354 2 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

how about insisting companies begin working on the code earlier and with more programmers so its done on time.

They do it this way on purpose so they can get that feedback and improve the game. I like it that way. It’s fun to be on the ride of the game development. This all assumes the code gets finished. But in almost all cases is does get finished.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lyman-sheats-out-at-stern?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.