(Topic ID: 297808)

Lyman Sheats out at Stern?

By parsonsaj

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).jpg
    8-ball-yes (resized).jpg
    kpp (resized).jpg
    Oi Mania.png
    pajamakid (resized).jpeg
    A92C89C3-A63B-4EC0-AD64-F50AAB8C8985.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F998EB37-8160-4B7D-B603-A17364C5A05D (resized).jpeg
    lyman (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20210801-220313_Chrome (resized).jpg
    80E57D98-FC06-4C6D-B9D2-8C545145CFBF (resized).png
    58FBFC62-1B37-43F5-9736-83388070EFF6 (resized).jpeg
    CD226F59-9808-4DE6-9113-EDE47514A293 (resized).jpeg
    kaneda5 (resized).png
    kaneda4 (resized).png
    kaneda2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobT.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I don’t listen to the K crap. He isn’t worth my time.

Doesn’t matter whether people listen to him or not. The issue is whether the rumor is true.

Too bad this thread has to be about him.

The fact is that Lyman has left Stern. That’s what this thread should be about

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:You guys always take the word of a grown ass man who has teenage mutant ninja turtle bedsheets?

People need to stop acting like Kaneda is the only source of the rumors. He’s not.

#136 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

This entire thread absolutely highlights the worst of Pinside. Once disproved, click-bait threads spouting pinball rumors/lies should just be locked. I mean, what is the benefit of keeping nonsense threads like this open? It's a REAL reason a lot of pinball friends of mine no longer hang out here. Truly sad.

What’s been disproven exactly?

Lyman might not be working for CGC but that doesn’t mean he’s still at Stern. Disprove *that* rumor.

#140 2 years ago

Yeah I think we should lock all the rumor threads regarding the next Stern titles as well. Those rumors are NEVER true.

#142 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:Yeah, because that's the exact same thing... Good job proving my point once again!

It is the same. Its based on leaked information. Ie rumors.

#146 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Just keep telling yourself that... Did you know that Stern cabinets now actually have a drop of the programmers blood in each of them? Stern felt bad about no longer including a printed manual so they are coming up with ways to make up for it.

Logic isn’t your strong point, is it?

#191 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

This entire thread absolutely highlights the worst of Pinside. Once disproved, click-bait threads spouting pinball rumors/lies should just be locked. I mean, what is the benefit of keeping nonsense threads like this open? It's a REAL reason a lot of pinball friends of mine no longer hang out here. Truly sad.

Quoted from RobT:

What’s been disproven exactly?
    Lyman might not be working for CGC but that doesn’t mean he’s still at Stern. Disprove *that* rumor.

#315 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

He’s been burned out for years. Surprised it’s taken this long. My opinion is based on actually talking to him.

And that’s 100% consistent with what I’ve heard from people who know him as well. Burn out is a real thing and I can only imagine the pressure he was under. He has the reputation of being one of the best coders, and how many Pinsiders have said that he is the only one that they would trust with code at Stern?

“In Lyman we trust” has been a common saying here for years.

#332 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It wasn't an accurate statement back then because you didn't qualify it by saying Stern era. You just said 100% of Lyman's games are released bare to the bone, which was wrong. His B/W were essentially complete (and VERY complete by Stern standards) at release except for some very niggly stuff.
    I got an upvote from Lyman for defending his record by correcting that assertion, before he posted himself, so thanks. Small miracles.

Oh my gosh, who cares? It seemed pretty obvious that he was talking about Stern games. Would it have made you feel better if he said "other than those released more than two decades ago?"

But congratulations on your "gotcha" post.

#339 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

We both accidentally got into rarified strata! I certainly wasn't expecting it, and likely neither were you.

It looks like he has a total of 16 posts on Pinside, and almost half of them were in that thread.

#373 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Doesn’t matter whether people listen to him or not. The issue is whether the rumor is true.
    Too bad this thread has to be about him.
    The fact is that Lyman has left Stern. That’s what this thread should be about

Wow, I just realized that I got a ton of thumbs down for this post.

Was it because people didn't believe me when I said that Lyman was in fact gone (before it was official), or was it my reference to K-man?

#378 2 years ago

Yeah, that is the post that I responded to that got me all the thumbs down.

Strange.

#380 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Hahaha, I’m like, what the heck happened in post #4 so I went to look at it. Not only was it my post, but some of my friends from real life disagreed and downvoted me. It’s ok though, I still like them

Yeah, it's not like I am offended by thumbs down. I was just trying to understand why that post got so many of them?

Still not sure if it was because I said that Lyman was, in fact, gone from Stern? Or was it because I said that this thread shouldn't be about Kaneda?

It's got to be one of those two.

#383 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

See post #4, the one that got dozens of upvotes? That suggests to me that you were downvoted for repeatedly shifting focus away from Lyman and the collective concern for him personally and professionally.

I think you are confused. How did I repeatedly shift the focus away from Lyman when 1) that was my first post in this thread 2) I specifically said that the focus should NOT be on Kaneda 3) I specifically said the thread should be about the fact that Lyman left Stern.

And post #4 simply said that he doesn't bother listening to Kaneda:

Quoted from DaveH:

I don’t listen to the K crap. He isn’t worth my time.

How in the world would that suggest that I was downvoted for "repeatedly shifting focus away from Lyman?"

#384 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Don’t personally care who exposed it but I appreciate hearing the news. Lyman as a player, person, or creator is something I do appreciate. Still oddly watch old videos of him playing. Like he’s almost part of the machine.

He is a huge loss, that's for sure. I do hope that he winds up somewhere else still doing rules for pinball, and that it's a situation where he is supported, happy, and motivated. But even if not in pinball, I hope he finds what he is looking for. He obviously deserves it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobT.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lyman-sheats-out-at-stern?tu=RobT and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.