Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 467 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by Rascal_H
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).jpg
    8-ball-yes (resized).jpg
    kpp (resized).jpg
    Oi Mania.png
    pajamakid (resized).jpeg
    A92C89C3-A63B-4EC0-AD64-F50AAB8C8985.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F998EB37-8160-4B7D-B603-A17364C5A05D (resized).jpeg
    lyman (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20210801-220313_Chrome (resized).jpg
    80E57D98-FC06-4C6D-B9D2-8C545145CFBF (resized).png
    58FBFC62-1B37-43F5-9736-83388070EFF6 (resized).jpeg
    CD226F59-9808-4DE6-9113-EDE47514A293 (resized).jpeg
    kaneda5 (resized).png
    kaneda4 (resized).png
    kaneda2 (resized).png

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.
    #351 70 days ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

how about insisting companies begin working on the code earlier and with more programmers so its done on time.

I think the core problem is lack of real-world location testing in the final part of development. Stern's lunch arcade isn't going to give them the feedback they need. Bring back location testing and it will help with a lot of the day one nonsense of buggy code. It won't be more COMPLETE, but what's there will at least be more polished.

#352 70 days ago
    Quoted from smassa:

I'd give you 2 thumbs up if it were possible.

I give Lonnie a hard time, but there is some truth in there, so I'll keep doing it. His code drives me crazy, which is ironic.

#353 70 days ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I give Lonnie a hard time, but there is some truth in there, so I'll keep doing it. His code drives me crazy, which is ironic.

Most boring ruleset's ever.

#354 70 days ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

how about insisting companies begin working on the code earlier and with more programmers so its done on time.

They do it this way on purpose so they can get that feedback and improve the game. I like it that way. It’s fun to be on the ride of the game development. This all assumes the code gets finished. But in almost all cases is does get finished.

#355 70 days ago

Ritchie gone. Lyman gone. Chas passing away. Now the rumor mills are speculating another location change for Stern? With all this and Sterns shitty Spike platform and cost cutting BOM I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole these days. Change can be good but any change Stern has done has usually been for the worse.

#356 70 days ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

With all this and Sterns shitty Spike platform and cost cutting BOM I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole these days. Change can be good but any change Stern has done has usually been for the worse.

Would an 11 ft pole make the difference for you?

#357 70 days ago

An 11 foot tall Pole could probably really dominate hoops on the court !

#358 70 days ago

Change can be good but any change Stern has done has usually been for the worse.

Really?
    No company is perfect, but their changes seem to be paying off. Since Stern moved to their current facility they’ve only hired new talent in design and improved software support putting more into high demand titles. Other than noisy fans, the latest Stern system has proven pretty reliable as I see them enjoyed on location. Ive found customer support to still be responsive and fair to help resolve issues that arise.

#359 70 days ago

Ritchie gone. Lyman gone. Chas passing away. Now the rumor mills are speculating another location change for Stern? With all this and Sterns shitty Spike platform and cost cutting BOM I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole these days. Change can be good but any change Stern has done has usually been for the worse.

This is pretty close-minded. Chas was replaced by Pablo, who has worked his ass off and has done a wonderful job with tech support. They also have Elwin and Borg (among others) who are still making kick ass games. And contrary to what some might think, I think Dwight does a great job with code, and I'm impressed by Tim Sexton's and Ray Davidson's work on LZ. So I'd say Stern is looking to the future rather than dwelling on the past.

#360 70 days ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Exaggeration in a factual conversation bothers me. It's a character flaw of mine. I drag it in real life when people make "absolute" "all" or "100%" statements, too, and it drives the people that know me insane.

ONE OF US!

ONE OF US!

#361 70 days ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Those who know him respect his privacy.

If he’s truly suffering than I get it, but just because people that don’t know him want to know what’s up doesn’t mean we don’t respect his privacy.

#362 70 days ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

This is pretty close-minded. Chas was replaced by Pablo, who has worked his ass off and has done a wonderful job with tech support. They also have Elwin and Borg (among others) who are still making kick ass games. And contrary to what some might think, I think Dwight does a great job with code, and I'm impressed by Tim Sextons work on LZ. So I'd say Stern is looking to the future rather than dwelling on the past.

Don't forget Raymond Davidson is also coding now. He was hired May of 2020.
    https://www.pinballprofile.com/episode-260-raymond-davidson-day-one-at-stern/

#363 70 days ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:Don't forget Raymond Davidson is also coding now. He was hired May of 2020.
    https://www.pinballprofile.com/episode-260-raymond-davidson-day-one-at-stern/

Thanks for that! I had forgotten, actually...

#364 70 days ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I get emotional when I play my ACDC as well...but it's because after all these years, I still don't understand what the hell I'm doing or how to even complete a song.

The fact that you teach children anything is truly frightening.

#365 70 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Would an 11 ft pole make the difference for you?

Probably not. I do wish the best for Stern though. They're the heartbeat of this industry.

#366 70 days ago

The internet and social media makes location testing nearly impossible. How long after a game gets put on location for testing before crappy cell phone footage would show up on Pinside or Facebook accompanied by some “review” of game play?

#367 70 days ago
    Quoted from rosh:

The internet and social media makes location testing nearly impossible. How long after a game gets put on location for testing before crappy cell phone footage would show up on Pinside or Facebook accompanied by some “review” of game play?

Same exact thing stand up comics say. It’s impossible to work out material on stage (which is a necessity to make it good) because 2 minutes later it’s posted on YouTube as “worst comedian ever”, and suddenly they can’t get booked.

#368 70 days ago
    Quoted from rosh:The internet and social media makes location testing nearly impossible. How long after a game gets put on location for testing before crappy cell phone footage would show up on Pinside or Facebook accompanied by some “review” of game play?

A lot of things were better when phones just made phone calls..... My phone is still the kind that is mounted on the wall at home.

Social Media -

#369 70 days ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thanks for that! I had forgotten, actually...

Ray did a lot of work on Zep, a game you are fond of!

#370 70 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ray did a lot of work on Zep, a game you are fond of!

I know. That's why I'm embarrassed.

Editing my post now so I can sleep tonight.

#371 70 days ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

Odd thing to get upset about, but hope your day gets better.

It is actually critical.

Code is what makes the pinball machine do. Turning on lights and playing sound and display the score and keep track of ball and audits.

Rulesets is what makes the gameplay.

#372 70 days ago

You left out the part where every game they build is already sold. And how many orders are queued up right now. And how if they could physically build 500 games tomorrow they are all already sold. Sheesh.

And no, I don’t like the cost cutting. I don’t like the crap code at release. I don’t like the pricing. I don’t like how they abandon games that don’t sell well. But damn, they are killing it.

#373 70 days ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Doesn’t matter whether people listen to him or not. The issue is whether the rumor is true.
    Too bad this thread has to be about him.
    The fact is that Lyman has left Stern. That’s what this thread should be about

Wow, I just realized that I got a ton of thumbs down for this post.

Was it because people didn't believe me when I said that Lyman was in fact gone (before it was official), or was it my reference to K-man?

#374 70 days ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Not like Lyman used a proprietary code he only knows. Any good software programmer can fix or update game code.

Lyman WAS the proprietary code! He’s the thing that’s most difficult to replicate.
    I expect almost anyone CAN code. But it’s figuring out what to code that’s the challenge.
    If I’m not mistaken, Lyman once said “you could make 500 different rule sets for any playfield but only a few would be fun.” Or something to that effect.
    There’s a reason people (myself included) used the phrase “in Lyman we trust”.
    I wish him the very best in whatever he does next and actually feel very blessed to have experienced some of the games that he coded.

#375 70 days ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

You left out the part where every game they build is already sold. And how many orders are queued up right now. And how if they could physically build 500 games tomorrow they are all already sold. Sheesh.
    And no, I don’t like the cost cutting. I don’t like the crap code at release. I don’t like the pricing. I don’t like how they abandon games that don’t sell well. But damn, they are killing it.

It's the name that sells and the art package.

People buy sometimes by the brand name loyalty and/or if it look nice.

Stern has positioned themselves to which they could put stick figures and a 3rd grade art package and it would sell like gang busters.

#376 69 days ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Was it because people didn't believe me when I said that Lyman was in fact gone (before it was official), or was it my reference to K-man?

Just look at the votes on the OPs initial post. There’s a bunch of weird people here.

#377 69 days ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Was it because

See post #4

#378 69 days ago

Yeah, that is the post that I responded to that got me all the thumbs down.

Strange.

#379 69 days ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, that is the post that I responded to that got me all the thumbs down.
    Strange.

Hahaha, I’m like, what the heck happened in post #4 so I went to look at it. Not only was it my post, but some of my friends from real life disagreed and downvoted me. It’s ok though, I still like them

#380 69 days ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Hahaha, I’m like, what the heck happened in post #4 so I went to look at it. Not only was it my post, but some of my friends from real life disagreed and downvoted me. It’s ok though, I still like them

Yeah, it's not like I am offended by thumbs down. I was just trying to understand why that post got so many of them?

Still not sure if it was because I said that Lyman was, in fact, gone from Stern? Or was it because I said that this thread shouldn't be about Kaneda?

It's got to be one of those two.

#381 69 days ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Still not sure if it was because I said that Lyman was, in fact, gone from Stern? Or was it because

See post #4, the one that got dozens of upvotes? That suggests to me that you were downvoted for repeatedly shifting focus away from Lyman and the collective concern for him personally and professionally.

Lyman's work through the years has given thousands of people uncountable hours of entertainment. I hope those who are still in contact with him remind him of that from time to time.

#382 69 days ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, it's not like I am offended by thumbs down. I was just trying to understand why that post got so many of them?
    Still not sure if it was because I said that Lyman was, in fact, gone from Stern? Or was it because I said that this thread shouldn't be about Kaneda?
    It's got to be one of those two.

Don’t personally care who exposed it but I appreciate hearing the news. Lyman as a player, person, or creator is something I do appreciate. Still oddly watch old videos of him playing. Like he’s almost part of the machine.

#383 69 days ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

See post #4, the one that got dozens of upvotes? That suggests to me that you were downvoted for repeatedly shifting focus away from Lyman and the collective concern for him personally and professionally.

I think you are confused. How did I repeatedly shift the focus away from Lyman when 1) that was my first post in this thread 2) I specifically said that the focus should NOT be on Kaneda 3) I specifically said the thread should be about the fact that Lyman left Stern.

And post #4 simply said that he doesn't bother listening to Kaneda:

Quoted from DaveH:

I don’t listen to the K crap. He isn’t worth my time.

How in the world would that suggest that I was downvoted for "repeatedly shifting focus away from Lyman?"

#384 69 days ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Don’t personally care who exposed it but I appreciate hearing the news. Lyman as a player, person, or creator is something I do appreciate. Still oddly watch old videos of him playing. Like he’s almost part of the machine.

He is a huge loss, that's for sure. I do hope that he winds up somewhere else still doing rules for pinball, and that it's a situation where he is supported, happy, and motivated. But even if not in pinball, I hope he finds what he is looking for. He obviously deserves it.

#385 69 days ago
    Quoted from RobT:He is a huge loss, that's for sure. I do hope that he winds up somewhere else still doing rules for pinball, and that it's a situation where he is supported, happy, and motivated. But even if not in pinball, I hope he finds what he is looking for. He obviously deserves it.

I think that is important. When you work hard (which he undoubtedly did) and you have to be creative on a timeline (also check) it is a recipe for major burnout. Hopefully, if he was burned out, he will be able to recharge his batteries and will be able to find a way to make it fun again. I wish him the very best.

#386 69 days ago

Lyman has long been the best. This news makes me appreciate his signature on my EHoH LE even more.
    (And I already prized his signature more than those of Dennis Nordman and Greg Freres on the game.)

#387 68 days ago

Coding is tough. I have all the time in the world to code my games, I can't imagine coding to a tight deadline and not having the freedom to fully realise my ideas. Then read on sites like this that the code sucks. It does takes months if not years to fully code a pinball machine, and it's by far the most demanding role in the business. All the glory seems to go the designers but the coders are the real superstars.

#388 68 days ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

All the glory seems to go the designers but the coders are the real superstars.

Correct 100%
    Llyman can bring a turd of a design to make it shine like diamonds!
    So much talent. Wish him all the best

#389 68 days ago

I was going to downvote you parsonsaj but decided against it. My reasoning for was that your initial post reads like, K-man has broadcast a rumor and you are starting a thread to post it on his behalf and test whether it is true. Nothing worse than turning on Pinside and sifting through speculation thread after speculation thread. My reasoning against was that you had heard a credible rumor and were citing the source and wanting to see what others have heard. It turns out the rumor was true and I am glad you started the thread.

I love Lyman code but am happy to see him leaving Stern, he’s been burned out for five years. People that are driven often forget to take time for themselves each day. Odds are Lyman will continue to program pinball machines (even if part-time) and ironically will burn more hours a week than when he worked at Stern. My dreams of his fixing two things in TWD code have died.

#390 68 days ago

Is he working with CGC on the new CC code? I thought I read that somewhere.

#391 68 days ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Coding is tough. I have all the time in the world to code my games, I can't imagine coding to a tight deadline and not having the freedom to fully realise my ideas. Then read on sites like this that the code sucks. It does takes months if not years to fully code a pinball machine, and it's by far the most demanding role in the business. All the glory seems to go the designers but the coders are the real superstars.

Remembering how bare the launch code for EHOH was, I read the version history. Launch code was Oct 2019 and final code was Nov 2020. Since then, there was one update to fix remaining bugs. But it took Lyman Sheats a year of balls to the wall effort and with much support from Stern staff to create EHOH software from soup to nuts. That is much quicker than I would have thought possible. Lyman’s lament was relying on less support for BM66 and taking two years to build that code, it was the exception. Given 13 months, Lyman can create a Top 5 game code that is so beautiful, it would make Picasso blush.

#392 68 days ago
    Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

Is he working with CGC on the new CC code? I thought I read that somewhere.

It's pure speculation

#393 68 days ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I was going to downvote you parsonsaj but decided against it. My reasoning for was that your initial post reads like, K-man has broadcast a rumor and you are starting a thread to post it on his behalf and test whether it is true. Nothing worse than turning on Pinside and sifting through speculation thread after speculation thread. My reasoning against was that you had heard a credible rumor and were citing the source and wanting to see what others have heard. It turns out the rumor was true and I am glad you started the thread.
    I love Lyman code but am happy to see him leaving Stern, he’s been burned out for five years. People that are driven often forget to take time for themselves each day. Odds are Lyman will continue to program pinball machines (even if part-time) and ironically will burn more hours a week than when he worked at Stern. My dreams of his fixing two things in TWD code have died.

Thanks for not downvoting! I just thought it was a shocking piece of information and needed to be discussed here if true.

K does get a lot of stuff wrong but he does sometimes have good information …

#394 68 days ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

It's pure speculation

No it's not speculation. K-man reported it, it must be true.

#395 68 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

No it's not speculation. K-man reported it, it must be true.

he literally has said every time that it was speculation. Stay mad

#396 68 days ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

he literally has said every time that it was speculation. Stay mad

kpp (resized).jpg
    #397 68 days ago
    Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

Is he working with CGC on the new CC code?

Anybody ask him ?

One person that knows him mentioned at one point he was talking about retiring, quite some time ago. Maybe he has.

What ever his plans. I wish him good health and be in good spirits.

LTG : )

#398 67 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Anybody ask him ?
    One person that knows him mentioned at one point he was talking about retiring, quite some time ago. Maybe he has.
    What ever his plans. I wish him good health and be in good spirits.
    LTG : )

I asked the same thing, but general consensus is the pinball community needs to respect his privacy.

#399 67 days ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

I asked the same thing, but general consensus is the pinball community needs to respect his privacy.

That’s a good instinct, one people should
    Probably follow a little more often when dealing with people who build and design pinball machines for a living.

#400 67 days ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Same exact thing stand up comics say. It’s impossible to work out material on stage (which is a necessity to make it good) because 2 minutes later it’s posted on YouTube as “worst comedian ever”, and suddenly they can’t get booked.

They can put in writing "patent pending" on the machine.

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside