(Topic ID: 297808)

Lyman Sheats out at Stern?

By parsonsaj

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).jpg
    8-ball-yes (resized).jpg
    kpp (resized).jpg
    Oi Mania.png
    pajamakid (resized).jpeg
    A92C89C3-A63B-4EC0-AD64-F50AAB8C8985.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F998EB37-8160-4B7D-B603-A17364C5A05D (resized).jpeg
    lyman (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20210801-220313_Chrome (resized).jpg
    80E57D98-FC06-4C6D-B9D2-8C545145CFBF (resized).png
    58FBFC62-1B37-43F5-9736-83388070EFF6 (resized).jpeg
    CD226F59-9808-4DE6-9113-EDE47514A293 (resized).jpeg
    kaneda5 (resized).png
    kaneda4 (resized).png
    kaneda2 (resized).png
    There are 471 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
    #251 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

I think VIP passes award the next shot you need to make?

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ACD170LE-README.txt
    "- Added STUFF to Tunes N Stuff:
    - AWARD BELL SHOT WITH V.I.P. PASS
    Using the VIP PASS button also awards all features available
    at the BELL (which includes advancing the PLAYFIELD MULTIPLIER).
    (The Premium/LE will swing the bell using the BELL MAGNET.)"

Fun to read through that and 'see' the changes through the different revisions.

#252 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

TNT, while quicker, is far more dangerous than doing what I suggest,

How high to the thunderstruck song shots get? I’ve never seen them higher than 500-750k. I can get the TNT shots up to 1.2 million quickly. Just have to know when to lock in the hurry ups.

#253 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chuckwebster:

in the old code when playing in Hells Bells the VIP button would ring the bell. this was a way of extending your playfield multipliers which led to some super high jackpots.

All attempts I’ve made for the 300 song jackpot has been on new code.

#254 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

I think VIP passes award the next shot you need to make?

Yes. Some things changed on new code. So for hell’s bells it gives you a bell hit, but doesn’t do anything with the multipliers.

#255 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

It might have changed in 1.06....but yes that is how it works on older code. I've always used it to extend multiball/add-a-ball

I think 1.70 is the latest.

#256 2 years ago

The Lyman thread turned into the AC/DC thread.

#257 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Not like Lyman used a proprietary code he only knows. Any good software programmer can fix or update game code.

Of course. But it takes significantly more time for someone else to come in and figure everything out. Even the best developer in the world can't make understanding the rules, understanding the code structure and bug hunting take less time.

#258 2 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

I have no idea what his salary at Stern was, but just a hunch that he was most likely extremely underpaid for the work that he did. Sure he could get much more working for another (non pinball) company.. it just probably won't be as fun or fulfilling. In any case, I hope he's happy wherever he lands. Super nice guy from the few times I got to chat with him.

The legends of him doing code updates from home make clear that probably no one could ever pay him what he's worth. Companies are kept afloat by employees like that, which makes this all the more shocking (no I don't mean Stern is about to go under).

#259 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

How high to the thunderstruck song shots get? I’ve never seen them higher than 500-750k. I can get the TNT shots up to 1.2 million quickly. Just have to know when to lock in the hurry ups.

I don't have exact numbers...see above where I said that I haven't played the most recent code revision. We do have a pro locally in an arcade...I'm going to see if I can find out what code rev. they have and if it's the newer one, I'll try both TNT and Thunderstruck, and see. We might both be right.....just on different code revisions. I don't know. There's also a very distinct possibility that I'm so bad at TNT on a pro that I won't get a chance to really see...I'm not ashamed to admit that when I owned my Premium, even, TNT was by *FAR* the biggest gatekeeper to getting to wizard mode. I actually had to sell the game, it pissed me off so much when I couldn't get past TNT and start another song on ball 1, that's how deadly it was on my game.

#260 2 years ago

Really? Wow, I avoid playing TnT, TS, and BnB first because those are the easiest to get past for me. Interesting.

#261 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

How do I know what song shots I have already completed towards lighting the next song?

They light up on the back panel jukebox. You have to light 8 other songs besides the one you are playing to light the saucer to change songs.

#262 2 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

You're welcome.

And it makes my point that most people can't figure out what the hell is going on in that game. Still fun, though!

#263 2 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Steve Ritchie? Elwin, Eddy and Borg can handle game design with a Gomez mixed in.

Lyman is a MAJOR loss to pinball overall if he’s gone.

but I’ve avoided all Dwight games since GB, well not true, stuck with Munsters, I like it but should have been so much more

You hit the nail on the head brother!
    Major loss for Stern if he is no longer coding for stern.

As for Dwight, same, waited so effing long on GB and now Munsters has just done it for me.
    Wanted a Mandalorian and TMNT, but nope not going to do it on principal.

Wonder If I can still use - In Llyman I trust.

#264 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I don't have exact numbers...see above where I said that I haven't played the most recent code revision. We do have a pro locally in an arcade...I'm going to see if I can find out what code rev. they have and if it's the newer one, I'll try both TNT and Thunderstruck, and see. We might both be right.....just on different code revisions. I don't know. There's also a very distinct possibility that I'm so bad at TNT on a pro that I won't get a chance to really see...I'm not ashamed to admit that when I owned my Premium, even, TNT was by *FAR* the biggest gatekeeper to getting to wizard mode. I actually had to sell the game, it pissed me off so much when I couldn't get past TNT and start another song on ball 1, that's how deadly it was on my game.

The key to TNT is using your VIP passes to make it so you never have to hit the middle target after the TNT. But on the pro, I assume this is a lot easier since the target is just the middle standup.

#265 2 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

lol and whats amazing is how many people are still clueless on how to play it.

#266 2 years ago

And for what its worth Lyman has been gone from Stern for months now.

#267 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

The key to TNT is using your VIP passes to make it so you never have to hit the middle target after the TNT. But on the pro, I assume this is a lot easier since the target is just the middle standup.

I'm definitely willing to give it a fair shake, and I'll gladly concede if it works for me. The location is a bit ways away from me, so probably going to be a bit before I can get over there, but I want to do it. If nothing else our league finals will be there in 2 months or so. = \

#268 2 years ago

I switched to TNT only a while ago. I’ve played AC/DC long enough that TNT is the only song that gets my blood pumping anymore.

Key is get the middle target hurry up going, the shoot a major shot, and before it registers, vip to light the major shots and lock in the shots hurry up value at max.

#269 2 years ago

Yeah see, given my propensity to save my multiballs using VIP passes, I just never give much thought to using them for a mode. This is going to be interesting to play around with. Might be a separate trip over there...not sure I want to burn another finals match on "f it, I'm doing this".

#270 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Lyman is under utilized. His games are amazing. I wish he programmed more games. If they only did an Elwin/Lyman/Zombie Yeti game... it would be amazing.

Lyman coding Rush IS utilization to the fullest!
    Just hope it's coming in 2021..

#271 2 years ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

...with a rule set as complex as Neal Peart's drum solos.

#272 2 years ago

I'm on V1.22. Can I update the latest code, wi-fi style?

#273 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinaholic:

I'm on V1.22. Can I update the latest code, wi-fi style?

What game ? Wrong thread ?

LTG : )

#274 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

What game ? Wrong thread ?
    LTG : )

Now hold on. Let's not be too hasty. Let's try to help the young man.

You can use a usb 4 and put it in dongle slot B with dip switches 1,2 and 5 set to "on." This enables the gobble function to go "full max," just the way George Washington intended.

Hope that helped!

#275 2 years ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

If he bounced last year, there’s no way that’s happening now.

#276 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well I’ve gotten 3x song jackpots in TNT over 250 million so what now?!? Haha
    TNT or bust!!!!

A92C89C3-A63B-4EC0-AD64-F50AAB8C8985.gifA92C89C3-A63B-4EC0-AD64-F50AAB8C8985.gif
    #277 2 years ago

Anything known for sure yet?

#278 2 years ago

Wild disingenuous speculation: Lyman is starting his own company which won't manufacture anything and will only make games for existing P3 modules.

#279 2 years ago

If Lyman is gone and isn’t an employee of CGC right now, it would seem to make sense that he has struck out on his own and is consulting and programming on a contract basis now. It shouldn’t preclude him from working on any machine for any particular company moving forward, if such is the case.

#280 2 years ago

#281 2 years ago

I’ve sent in bug reports and never gotten a personalized response.

I didn’t think That was the point.

#282 2 years ago

Maybe he got tired of doing development for pins and wanted to check out another industry?

I could see how your hobby also being your job could lead to to both being neither.

#283 2 years ago

He’s been burned out for years. Surprised it’s taken this long. My opinion is based on actually talking to him.

#284 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’ve sent in bug reports and never gotten a personalized response.
    I didn’t think That was the point.

You're supposed to include Amazon gift cards.

Lyman was awesome working on code issues with Metallica and TWD directly with me and the personal attention was very much appreciated. I had the last Metallica update like 6-8 months before it finally came out as a beta version that included the code changes to solve an issue with the coffin lock.

My measly $5 Amazon gift card was probably larger than his Stern bonus that year.

#285 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

He’s been burned out for years. Surprised it’s taken this long. My opinion is based on actually talking to him.

Wait, where do they sell Lyman fatheads?

#286 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

If Lyman is gone and isn’t an employee of CGC right now, it would seem to make sense that he has struck out on his own and is consulting and programming on a contract basis now. It shouldn’t preclude him from working on any machine for any particular company moving forward, if such is the case.

I wouldn't call that "striking out," he may be making more $$$ as a contractor under his own terms. It's not like there's a bunch of Lymans around waiting to program pinball games.

#287 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Burnout is real. There’s been times in my life where I’ve felt you could hold a gun to my head and told me to do something and I’d accept my death and you would have to kill me. There was simply no way I could force myself to do the thing.

Sounds like Lyman has taken the first step in taking care of himself. There’s a journey ahead, and possibly it won’t go the way any of us can predict.

#288 2 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Well, love him or hate him, his podcast is different from anyone else's. And he does give some unique takes on various pinball-industry issues.
    In spite of his past very-poor behavior, I think the pinball world would be much less interesting without Kaneda. Kinda like that ahole valet Thomas on Downton Abbey.

Firstly to everyone who is in the position of not getting support and assistance from JJP for any issues but mainly playfield issues I hope you all get a fair resolve ASAP, so my best wishes.

And to address my quote.

I couldn't agree more my man ... Kaneda is the best Podcast I've ever had the pressure to listen too, the rest are just ok to me. I really don't like the podcast's that talk for like 15/20mins and sometimes more about nothing to do with pinball before they start talking pinball, oh man that shits, it's why I don't listen to them much at all. I don't mind The Pinball Chronicle's and TSAPS sometimes. However even though I don't agree with him all the time ... it's Kaneda all the way for me, his the best and probably 5 from 5!

MegadethHangar18................

#289 2 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I wouldn't call that "striking out," he may be making more $$$ as a contractor under his own terms.

I am fairly certain you misinterpreted his usage of ‘struck out on his own’ - when I use this phrase it means going your own way, not under someone else’s direction/control.

#290 2 years ago

Only the best get burnout.

#291 2 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Only the best get burnout.

Really? But I get burnout… Yes! I always knew my Mom was right!

#292 2 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I wouldn't call that "striking out," he may be making more $$$ as a contractor under his own terms. It's not like there's a bunch of Lymans around waiting to program pinball games.

pajamakid (resized).jpegpajamakid (resized).jpeg
    #293 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

I am fairly certain you misinterpreted his usage of ‘struck out on his own’ - when I use this phrase it means going your own way, not under someone else’s direction/control.

Well my bad in that case!

#294 2 years ago

Has Lyman retired from pinball?

Would have thought if he were working anywhere else, there would be a huge press release celebrating the news.

#295 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Would have thought if he were working anywhere else, there would be a huge press release celebrating the news.

That's the million dollar question at this point.

#296 2 years ago

He could be working on something somewhere else, but they're not ready to announce. Or maybe he is just taking a break.

#297 2 years ago

I assume if he just flat out retired, Stern would have made a big to-do about it. I also wonder if this will affect the prices of EHOH either up or down, now that the game has been "finished."

#298 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I assume if he just flat out retired, Stern would have made a big to-do about it.

Could be a big ThankYou party at Chicago Expo come end of October for Lyman's Retirement / Leaving Stern for all he has done for them.

#299 2 years ago
    Quoted from MegadethHangar18:

...the best Podcast I've ever had the pressure to listen too, the rest are just ok to me.

#300 2 years ago

Let's all make shirts for the retirement party.
    Oi Mania.pngOi Mania.png

There are 471 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lyman-sheats-out-at-stern/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.