Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

best_loop.jpg
    3C87477A-831C-47A7-B267-C61358B47D81 (resized).jpeg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Say it ain’t so!

#2 6 years ago

it ain't so

#3 6 years ago

Yep. I heard he just moved down to a retirement home in Florida.

#4 6 years ago

Retiring or changing companies?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

how old is he?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

how old is he?

Someone said 51 in another thread.

#7 6 years ago

Whos lyman ?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wakky:

Whos lyman ?

What's pinball?

#9 6 years ago

Hope not, big blow to pinball if he is!

#10 6 years ago

Based on his Linkedin profile and when he started college (1984), he would probably be about 53 plus or minus a year unless he had time in between high school and college. I'm turning 50 this year and I don't see myself retiring for another 15 years. I guess more power to him if he's all set to retire at a "young" age.

Unless he has health issues, I'm sure he's going to find something to do besides sit on a beach drinking cocktails.

#11 6 years ago

Crap, 51?! Maybe it’s the grind at Stern. Wanting to make every game super polished is taking its toll. He’s definitely one of their superstar developers.

#12 6 years ago

Retirement can just mean "retirement from coding".

I technically retired from that when I was born.

#13 6 years ago

Congratulations on a well deserved retirement.

#14 6 years ago

I don't have the reference link, but in another thread it was said this rumor was created to find out who is leaking out of Stern.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I don't have the reference link, but in another thread it was said this rumor was created to find out who is leaking out of Stern.

So can we retire this rumor then?

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I don't have the reference link, but in another thread it was said this rumor was created to find out who is leaking out of Stern

How do you know that that rumor wasn't the one created to find the leak?

#17 6 years ago

I assume someone else was told Steve Ritchie was retiring, and someone else was told Gomez was retiring, etc... and they waited to see what news broke.

#18 6 years ago

Del Boca Vista, baby!

#19 6 years ago

From This Week in Pinball. Probably just having fun with the rumor.

http://thisweekinpinball.com/around-playfield-lyman-sheats/

3C87477A-831C-47A7-B267-C61358B47D81 (resized).jpeg3C87477A-831C-47A7-B267-C61358B47D81 (resized).jpeg

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Del Boca Vista

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I assume someone else was told Steve Ritchie was retiring, and someone else was told Gomez was retiring, etc... and they waited to see what news broke.

Yes I get it, my point is that you're just perpetuating another rumor.

#22 6 years ago

Lyman certainly has reason to be somewhat dissatisfied with the state of things and was grumbling about quitting Stern, but he’s been saying that for years.

Personally I’d like to see him move over to JJP where his talents would be more appreciated, but there’s political reasons why that won’t happen.

I’d say the odds of him leaving Stern aren’t zero, though I doubt he’ll retire outright.

#23 6 years ago

Maybe Lyman is taking Gary's place
    How old is Gary?

#24 6 years ago

Here's to 4pm dinners w/free desert.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Personally I’d like to see him move over to JJP where his talents would be more appreciated, but there’s political reasons why that won’t happen.

I would love that, can't afford the games but would love to.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Maybe Lyman is taking Gary's place
    How old is Gary?

Maybe Gary is taking Lyman's place

#27 6 years ago

Glad he finished TWD.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Maybe Gary is taking Lyman's place

best_loop.jpgbest_loop.jpg

#29 6 years ago

He's extremely appreciated right where he's at

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

He's extremely appreciated right where he's at

Appreciation is great but without being paid enough $ it's worthless

#31 6 years ago

"Enough" is extremely relative, and nobody here knows what he's getting paid. I'm pretty sure Stern wouldn't be stupid enough to let another company poach him over reasonable compensation.

#32 6 years ago

I love how some of you just know what he's making and that he's pissed at stern, and whatever other pinside nonsense that gets made up.

Everyone pisses and moans some about their employer, people that don't are likely died or unemployed. If Lyman retires or just moves onto something else I wish him the best. It's his life and he needs to live it how he sees fit. He's done some great things as a pinball programmer but when one door closes another one opens.

#33 6 years ago

Good for him. I'll be retiring right around 50 as well.

Should be no blow to the pinball industry, I know at least 100 Pinsiders that know everything aboot pinball and making rules "better."

#34 6 years ago

Sorry ... he can't retire until his code on previous pins is done/complete. Maybe that's part of the reason for the AC/DC code revisit. Final polishing. Unsubstantiated speculation.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll be retiring right around 50 as well. Should be no blow to the pinball industry, I know at least 100 Pinsiders that know everything aboot pinball and making rules "better."

Don't sell yourself short, your pinball coding expertise will be irreplaceable when you retire!

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

Del Boca Vista, baby!

He can't move there, the community is all sold out.

#37 6 years ago

That's why I recently retired from a COmpaNy I was with for a long time. I earned a defined benefit pension that maxed out. Alas, I'm too young for Medicare so I started a new job. Now I'm "double-dipping".

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

That's why I recently retired from a COmpaNy I was with for a long time. I earned a defined benefit pension that maxed out. Alas, I'm too young for Medicare so I started a new job. Now I'm "double-dipping".

Restoring Mini Bikes is a great 2nd career.

#39 6 years ago

Lyman is going nowhere. Non story, but I do think he is having a bit of fun with the rumor

#40 6 years ago

Damn Russians.....even putting their fake news on pinball sites now!!!!!

#41 6 years ago

I heard that stern tried to force Lyman to get a flu shot and that was the final straw.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I heard that stern tried to force Lyman to get a flu shot and that was the final straw.

Last thing Stern needs is a virus in their coder.

#43 6 years ago

So what's the general feeling about this rumor? I'd say 15% true at most. He wouldn't be moving to start something new or over a poaching attempt. He's there until retirement! if he is 52 now, I'd expect to see him at Stern another good 8 years (thru 60), then it is up for grabs.

#44 6 years ago

Heading to Deeproot I heard.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Heading to Deeproot I heard.

Such a shame and waste of his talent.

#46 6 years ago

I just got Lyman Sheats to un-retire by ensuring that on the first ball with credits in the machine (or free play)and before I launched the FIRST BALL, I pressed the left flipper 11 times, then press the right flipper once, the left flipper 5 times, the right flipper once, the press the left flipper 6 times, then press the right flipper once. My game said "Totally", then I launched the ball and hit the scoop...

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

I'm sure he's going to find something to do besides sit on a beach drinking cocktails.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Such a shame and waste of his talent.

3 years later
    #49 2 years ago

Thread revive.. is his last game really 2019 Elvira? Did he retire or is he working on the spike system code or something?

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Thread revive.. is his last game really 2019 Elvira? Did he retire or is he working on the spike system code or something?

Stern has always treated him pretty poorly so it wouldn't shock me

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lyman-retiring?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.