(Topic ID: 107756)

"Lyman" playfield TSPP??? Tracing a pin's ownership, help needed.

By weaselfest

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1027141822a.jpg
1027141822b.jpg
#1 9 years ago

So here's the back story: while showing the prospective buyer how to remove the playfield from the cabinet of a Simpsons Pinball Party he is trying to sell, the owner notices some writing on the apron edge of the playfield. Black marker spelling out C G Lyman and slightly to the right and covered, another pencil written "Lyman".
I don't make much of it, but he seems rather interested in why that is there. Transaction completed, he helps load things up. I am now the 4th owner of this machine. With the exception of one small errant scratch on the side of the backbox, it is pristine.
So now, as a favor to a hardcore pin collector, preservationist, and historian, I am beholden to try to find out if there is any relationship between this machine and Lyman F. Sheats Jr. Or just some other person that shared a portion of his name.
The machine came from the second owner out of the Chicagoland area. I will leave it to the pinsider I bought it from to chime in with any more details on that portion of the history if or when he sees fit.
I'm not going to be selling the machine anytime soon, so it isn't like I'm looking to instill any type of artificial value into things, just see this as a curious coincidence, so might as well dig into it further.
Here's the photos to make all real-like.......... you can kind of make out an "APR" stenciled on the edge then it fades out. This is interesting because the sticker on the back of the cabinet is dated "Mar 2003".
if anyone has some constructive insight, please chime in.

1027141822b.jpg1027141822b.jpg 1027141822a.jpg1027141822a.jpg
#2 9 years ago

Is there a Lyman who works at Chicago Gaming?

#3 9 years ago

AFAIK LFS still has his own TSPP. However, back when they were originally run, he and I both cherry-picked playfields and cabinets. We both wrote our names on them. I think at some point someone didn't realize what happened and both our playfields got run down the line normally and put into games. We had to re-look for playfields and kept them in our office the second time.

Therefore, I would surmise that your playfield is probably a VERY good-looking one with a perfectly-colored Scratchy. Probably never actually owned by Lyman, though. I suspect there's another one with "Keith" floating around somewhere.

#4 9 years ago

I had an Austin Powers that said Blumpkin. Any idea who that is?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

AFAIK LFS still has his own TSPP. However, back when they were originally run, he and I both cherry-picked playfields and cabinets. We both wrote our names on them. I think at some point someone didn't realize what happened and both our playfields got run down the line normally and put into games. We had to re-look for playfields and kept them in our office the second time.
Therefore, I would surmise that your playfield is probably a VERY good-looking one with a perfectly-colored Scratchy. Probably never actually owned by Lyman, though. I suspect there's another one with "Keith" floating around somewhere.

Makes sense to me. Thanks for clearing that up. I bought that machine from a guy in Rockford Il back in 2010. I don't think he's on pinside, can't remember for sure. I think I got the lead off of rgp. Keith you are correct about the playfield, it's damn near perfect.

#6 9 years ago

Man, I love Pinside. How fast was that totally cleared up, with first hand details? Thanks Keith!

#7 9 years ago

interesting situation

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8 9 years ago

perfectly-colored scratchy

What's the difference between a perfect coloured scratchy and a bad one , any pics to prove ???

#9 9 years ago

I don't have any pics, that'd have to be up to others to provide. However, Scratchy's PMS is really REALLY sensitive to the slightest silkscreen movements during production, and the vast majority of the ones I looked at during the first run (never paid much attention to later runs) had Scratchy a tint of blue, brown, purple, etc. We looked through dozens if not hundreds of playfields to find ones that had properly-colored Scratchy on it.

#10 9 years ago

wow, 15M KEF responds to my post. I'm humbled.
Thanks for sharing that flashback Keith. Now I am even more compelled to keep on top of the playfield housekeeping.

#11 9 years ago

That's awesome man. Thank you for sharing a little behind the curtains. Too cool.

#12 9 years ago

Scratchy's PMS is really REALLY sensitive

And here I didn't even know Scratchy was female.

#13 9 years ago

Keith and Lyman cheating on the Stern playfield quality lottery

I can understand their cherrypicking.. Stern churned out some really crummy fields back in the day. You were lucky if there wasn't at least one badly offset screen, or blotting here and there, or a color overemphasized...

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man, I love Pinside. How fast was that totally cleared up, with first hand details? Thanks Keith!

Keith has been answering questions online since long before pinside was created. He's easily the most accessible programmer in pinball. Your love is misplaced. d

#15 9 years ago

I appreciate both pinside and Keith for all my pinball info!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 16.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 218.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lyman-playfield-tspp-tracing-a-pins-ownership-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.