Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Subject line says it all , really .

#2 8 years ago

They said on the broadcast that someone had to take him to the airport. Not sure what it was but lets hope there wasn't some kind of emergency. There are things more important then pinball.

#3 8 years ago

Why?

#4 8 years ago

Oh. Hope he's okay.

#5 8 years ago

No emergency. Had a flight he could not miss, due to more travel following it.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from C2CPinball:

Well thats a good thing. Too bad the final got cut short though.

#7 8 years ago

Yeah, I was looking forward to a dogfight between him and Adam. At least Adam had a great come from behind win on Metallica, to finish the shortened final up 1-0.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from C2CPinball:

We call this "having a life".....

#9 8 years ago

Hopefully he is flying to Texas pinball festival

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I gotta get me one of them.

#11 8 years ago

Moved to "Events" subforum. Note that we will probably later introduce a specific "Competition & Leagues" subforum (title may change) for this type of threads.

#12 8 years ago

Holy shit the world just ended.......or pinball just really isn't that important, it's just a game. Sorry.

#13 8 years ago

So you knew that you were not going to go the distance . Won plenty of tourneys in past, why not bag out in semi final to let the final round actually be a competitive race. This is the national championship not a local monthly.

#14 8 years ago

The more interesting question is would he have still forfeited if he had won? Adam did make a comeback to win but what if he hadn't.

Sure Lyman had commitment for a flight. We get that. But in my mind that's just bad travel planning.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

So you knew that you were not going to go the distance . Won plenty of tourneys in past, why not bag out in semi final to let the final round actually be a competitive race. This is the national championship not a local monthly.

Agreed. Poor form if you knew you were ditching to not just ditch in semis and let the kid go to finals.

#16 8 years ago

So then who won?

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

So then who won?

"Adam" I would assume.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from robotronjohn:

The more interesting question is would he have still forfeited if he had won? Adam did make a comeback to win but what if he hadn't.
    Sure Lyman had commitment for a flight. We get that. But in my mind that's just bad travel planning.

Probably had a late flight and thought event would be over sooner. You guys act like he shot someone.
    I would think if Lyman left before he had won 4 games he still would have lost given the rules are you have to win 4 games.
    Congrats to Adam on the win

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Then why show up anyway?

I wouldn't go to a pinball tournament that I wasn't going to be able to win due to travel plans.

#20 8 years ago

Lefkoff won, for Colorado!
    I understand Lyman having to forfeit. Many players schedule their flights to get back home immediately following the finals.
    If finals had not run so long, it was fine. But they did, so oh well.
    If he hadn't made the finals, it would have worked out too.
    Sometimes you figure if you make the finals, you can just reschedule the flight, as you will be pretty flush on cash at that point. (Maybe a satisfactory flight couldn't be booked)
    Tourneys can run many hours long, or sometimes when the final 4 were supposed to play the next day, but instead the final 8 are now staying 1 more day.
    It's a bit hard to grasp if you haven't actually seen it, many times.
    Also, having a world championship already probly makes some decisions easier.
    Congrats to all the players, and Zoë Vrabel, the 1st women's champion!

#21 8 years ago

I blame the #wheresthecode initiative.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

as you will be pretty flush on cash at that point.

What was the prize money?

#23 8 years ago

1st Place –> $1600 cash + Trophy + Title of “US National Pinball Champion”
    2nd Place –> $800 cash
    3rd Place –> $600 cash
    4th Place –> $400 cash
    5th through 8th place –> $200 cash each

#24 8 years ago

I'd say it worth staying for second place.

#25 8 years ago

Congrats to Adam, and Lyman (for holding up his end of plans made before Finals (some people have lives and family plans made that trump pinball I know some can't fathom that but it is possible.) and all the other SCS finalists that competed. I'm sure the tourney took longer than expected or things might have been different. It is still an awesome effort by all involved from TD to contestants to make the trip to Vegas to compete! Good job on all accounts! Now back to pinball...or those that have lives and jobs carry on!

Phoebe

#26 8 years ago

Lyman sure doesn't seem like the type of guy to forfeit unless it was absolutely necessary. I'm guessing it killed him inside to have to walk away from a match. Very unfortunate and I feel bad for the guy. Of course, 2nd place is nothing to sneeze at, so congrats there, and of course to Adam and all the other competitors! It is an awesome accomplishment just to get to this level!

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

why not bag out in semi final to let the final round actually be a competitive race.

Umm...so you can finish 2nd in the country?

#28 8 years ago

Also, knowing Lyman and having competed against him many times, I guarantee he was very apologetic and sincerely sorry that he couldn't continue.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Umm...so you can finish 2nd in the country?

And $400 extra dollars in your wallet!

#30 8 years ago

This happens. It sucks, but it just happens from time to time. I had to bow out of a final day of competition due to travel issues (my flight was canceled and the only other option was an earlier flight). It's just a shame that it was on such a big stage.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Holy shit the world just ended.......or pinball just really isn't that important, it's just a game. Sorry.

You don't sound sorry. Not diggin' that tone mister...

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

You don't sound sorry. Not diggin' that tone mister...

I wept as I typed it, can we count it as authentic?

#33 8 years ago

Would be interesting to get feedback from participants to see if both of these championships should be on same day at same time on same bank of games or should one be on Wednesday and the other on Thursday or have different starting times for the championship . Maybe that would help with the longevity of these best of 7 matches.

#34 8 years ago

He has a reason. He has a right to board a plane and Mosh with he Monsters tonight!
    TOTALLY!
    ADAM DON'T DRAIN DON'T DRAIN!

#35 8 years ago

I stopped watching after the women ended. Was there a better match than Adam v. Adam on Metallica? You couldn't have scripted a more exciting game I don't think.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

I stopped watching after the women ended. Was there a better match than Adam v. Adam on Metallica? You couldn't have scripted a more exciting game I don't think.

Yes, that was an awesome game. Really a beat by the bonus moment.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

Would be interesting to get feedback from participants to see if both of these championships should be on same day at same time on same bank of games or should one be on Wednesday and the other on Thursday or have different starting times for the championship . Maybe that would help with the longevity of these best of 7 matches.

No chance we're adding another day. We started behind schedule but our goal was to be done by 11pm, and it was looking like we would have hit that (Lyman's drop dead time was 10pm to leave).

#38 8 years ago

Josh, as the IL runner-up, you should have filled in for the rest of Lyman's match. I'm sure Adam would have been totally cool with that!

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Agreed. Poor form if you knew you were ditching to not just ditch in semis and let the kid go to finals.

You have to be one of the most negative/instigating folks on here. Why do you instantly assume the worst and always try to get the pitch forks going? You don't know the story. Lyman is also a really good dude, super polite.

It'd be nice if we didn't have this pitchfork mentality around here

#40 8 years ago

I guess we all just wanted to see a battle at the end. We shouldn't be so harsh on Lyman. I am sure he felt bad having to bow out. I retract my comment about poor planning. I don't know his schedule and shouldn't judge based on what I felt he should or should not have done.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

You have to be one of the most negative/instigating folks on here. Why do you instantly assume the worst and always try to get the pitch forks going? You don't know the story. Lyman is also a really good dude, super polite.
    It'd be nice if we didn't have this pitchfork mentality around here

Well, he is the expert on showing poor form......

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Well, he is the expert on showing poor form......

- slow clap

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Then why show up anyway?
    I wouldn't go to a pinball tournament that I wasn't going to be able to win due to travel plans.

I'll defer your question to Lyman....

#44 8 years ago

I'm a little biased toward our local Florida player, but it does seem odd with the timing that there could not have been some way to advance Atticus to the finals. They had to know before they began that there was no way to play even four machines.

When I first pulled up this thread this morning I was thinking Lyman had forfeited because he tilted through against Atticus in Metallica. I still don't understand the decision to play on with a "danger"? Maybe they knew time was limited? Personally I would not have just played on with the tilt-through knowing how tight that machine was set. It seemed like Atticus was playing timid on that ball and lost it really fast. Why not go into the menus and add a "danger" for that one ball?

Oh well, in the end Adam is a great player and deserving Champion.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I still don't understand the decision to play on with a "danger"? Maybe they knew time was limited?

There's a rule for this exact scenario. Bowen posted it in chat. One danger-through is a warning. Second danger-through is penalized.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

There's a rule for this exact scenario. Bowen posted it in chat. One danger-through is a warning. Second danger-through is penalized.

Interesting. Does not seem fair to the recipient of the free "danger".

#47 8 years ago

The rules state that Atticus had the option of playing the ball as is, or I could have added a 4th ball to the game (you can add balls but not add tilt warnings through software).

He elected to play on with the current ball instead of adding an extra ball at the end of the game.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

It's more detailed than that -- oh, Josh addressed it. Atticus had the option of taking the ball over, and chose not to.

Wait, who brought pitchforks to this? If the event had run on schedule Lyman would have been able to finish out. It didn't, so he didn't.

#49 8 years ago

Are the complete final results available to view somewhere?

#50 8 years ago

Its all linked off www.ifpapinball.com http://challonge.com/IFPA2015

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lyman-forfeits-in-final-round-of-ifpa-championship and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.