(Topic ID: 334931)

Lyman 2500 Pro Mag (autoflow) cover gasket?

By newmantjn

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Eric_S
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I own a Lyman 2500 Pro Mag and use it maybe once/twice a year. There always seems to be a minor catastrophe every time I use it. Media leaking out or what have you. I typically set it up on a carpet scrap, then cover it with a big plastic bin to keep the noise down. I just ran it for about 24 hours and there was a lot of media dust that had leaked out of someplace, IMO it was likely the cover to bowl interface. Not the actual media, but a very fine dust.

>>> QUESTION: Is there supposed to be a gasket between the cover and the bowl? I thought even my cheapo Harbor Freight tumbler had a gasket in that position, but my Lyman does not? Is this correct?

#2 1 year ago

I've never seen a dry tumbler with a lid gasket.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

I've never seen a dry tumbler with a lid gasket.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

This one does, and was my last tumbler, but based on your comment, I guess it's not a thing. I do need to figure out where all that dust came from though.

#4 1 year ago

I have a Frankford Armory and have the same problem. I went out and looked and it does not have a gasket. I usually set mine outside while it is running to avoid the dust issues. I guess you could make a gasket for the one you have or buy a new tumbler with a gasket. I'm not sure I would go through that trouble though.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from pokerag2:

I usually set mine outside while it is running to avoid the dust issues. I guess you could make a gasket for the one you have or buy a new tumbler with a gasket. I'm not sure I would go through that trouble though.

Well, I like making stuff, but I agree that it may not be worth it.

The plastic bin I covered it with seems to contain the mess, so I'll just continue doing that.

#6 1 year ago

You can buy a rigid clear lid for the Lyman tumblers. It allows one to tighten the wingnut without bending the lid, it may seal better but I haven't compared it.

#7 1 year ago

No gasket on my Mag 2500 and no dust leaks - just a mess when I pull the bung & drain the media.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from shaneo:

just a mess when I pull the bung & drain the media.

That sounds like a euphemism for something...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lyman-2500-pro-mag-autoflow-cover-gasket- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.