(Topic ID: 124421)

LW3 numerous specific semi-noob questions...

By megalo17

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mima
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150416_192311_resized.jpg
lw3.jpg
IMG_20140721_153322.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Here goes, several rapid fire questions (kinda like the game)... OK, ok, ok... (couldn't help it):

1) The pinballs seem to jump off the "bomb" drop targets. They get airborne and fly over the slingshots. Do I just need to replace them, and put some of the target foam on the back of them?
2) During the "skill shot" at launch I assume I pull the trigger when the aim is on a target, the smaller target => the bigger payout. There seems to be a delay from when I pull the trigger to where it lands. Am I missing something? (btw, I just ordered the latest rom, so maybe this will fix the issue).
3) What do you all recommend for the pitch of the playing field?
4) Is it just me, or does the playing field seem dark? I've ordered an LED kit, which should help the problem, but I think it's gonna need more. Does anyone have any experience with spotlights for this game?
5) What setting do I need to adjust to prevent the "Open the door" message at startup? Am I in a demo/maintenance mode? It seems to have erased my settings since the last session...

Sorry for all the questions. Any and all feedback is truly welcome...

#2 9 years ago

Airballs of drops is common on this pin

Skill shot is registered by a certain switch not the trigger

6.5 play field slope

Yes leds will help but data east pins are dark usually

Sounds like you have a battery issue or cpu damage if your pin isnt keeping settings

#3 9 years ago

I thought the skill shot was tied to the bullet targets on the left of the playfield. You want the ball to hit the bullet target that is lit. I could be totally wrong on that though.

As for the bomb targets, I made a deflector to go above the targets to prevent airballs. I think the pin came with one orignally, but most don't have it. Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

lw3.jpglw3.jpg

I can take a pic of mine if you need a better view.

#4 9 years ago

You guys are right about the skill shot. Thanks for that! Is the deflector just a lip that you put on top of the plastic? Mine was getting so airborne today, it was landing on the left ramp! As for the battery pack, the previous owner neglected it. They were corroded. I replaced them, but haven't cleaned it yet. I plan on doing the remote battery pack mod. I've found some spotlights to add to brighten things up, just looking for where to place them.

#5 9 years ago

The deflector is just a plastic piece. I will try and take a close up pic of mine tonight. I used to get airballs all the time until I made my own using a piece of plexi-glass.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from gern:

I will try and take a close up pic of mine tonight.

Thanks! I really can't make out much in the original pic.

#7 9 years ago

Finally got a chance to snag a pic.

20150416_192311_resized.jpg20150416_192311_resized.jpg

#8 9 years ago

Thats well done! Thanks for the pic! When I free up some time I'll try to replicate. I've also got to look into the left out lane kick back. Sometimes it misfires. And the LW1 lane has started draining every ball it releases...

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Thats well done! Thanks for the pic! When I free up some time I'll try to replicate. I've also got to look into the left out lane kick back. Sometimes it misfires. And the LW1 lane has started draining every ball it releases...

No problem. It was very easy to make. Lots of sanding to get the edges smooth.

I have the same problem with the LW1 kick out hole. I've taken to giving the machine a little nudge to keep it in play... sometimes it works lol. If you find a fix I'd love to know!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

I've also got to look into the left out lane kick back. Sometimes it misfires.

Mine gives me trouble too. Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it "juggles" the ball three or four times, then it drains. Don't know if it has anything to do with the speed of the ball down the lane or what. Definitely post it if you find a solution!

2 weeks later
#11 8 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

I will try to address your questions even tough you may have got all the answers.

*Airballs is a common irritable on this table, especially from the center drop target bank (hence the almost always broken LW1-hole plastic. Data Easts anti-airball-plastic was an idea to sort things out, you should get one if you don´t have it already. But usally you would need to elaborate a bit with the different rubbers in that area, remove some and maybe switch a few of the "rings" to post sleeves.

* The skill-shot is made by hitting the light target at the left stand-up-target. Timing is essential, usually the no2 bullet is the one to hit when lit (given the auto-plungers "static behavior".

* Play field inclination: 6.5- 7 degrees

* "Open door message" indicates that the table has been reseted to factory settings ( no high-score and operator adjustments has been saved since last power cycle). This hopfully means that you need to change /insert batteries in the battery holder in the backbox. In worse case scenarios, you may need to replace the battery holder or even have acid damage on the board...

* LW1 hole does not kick out the ball 100% of the time
This is how i sorted that one out

* LW1 hole kick out drains the ball.. since my latest tare down of the play field that occurs on my game as well, yet to be sorted what happened during cleaning to that area since it worked perfectly prior to tare down.

This is what the airball protector looks like unmounted
IMG_20140721_153322.JPGIMG_20140721_153322.JPG

Cheers
/MiMa

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lw3-numerous-specific-semi-noob-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.