1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinRetail
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 1 year ago

Ribbon cable problems are common, but I'm sure you re-seated them, plus, I'm pretty sure it'll boot up with a 'everybody dance now' sound even if the ribbon cable is disconnected.

Obviously, you've checked your voltages, and the only thing suspicious is the 11.5 Volts on the 12V line. Because I'm curious, I'd measure AC on that voltage, and make sure that there isn't a couple of AC volts riding on the DC... You won't find anything here, but it's something to test. I'm pretty sure that the +12v won't make the CPU of the sound board give up.

I double check the volume pot and it's wires, because an open there can be a problem, but I've never had an open volume pot on a data east, just a scratchy one!

The 6809 CPU is a failure point, but I usually get lucky when they fail and they get noticeably hot to the touch.

After that, you start getting into actual board repair territory. Reset line, clock, r/w etc. Address and data lines.

There is one test to check if the ram chip has failed on the Wiki:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Data_East/Sega#No_Sound_-_5077_Sound_Board_and_Others

Sound board problems always make me frown. The board repair here is frequently not simple.

Let us know what you find!

#6 1 year ago

This is a tough problem to give you advice on.

From your 'Sidetracked Brewery' line in your profile, I think you might be trying to keep a machine made in 1994 working in front of the public. I've always thought that this is a little like trying to run a taxi service with twenty nine year old cars. (Cargument...)

If this machine is in front of the public, it's important to get it running quickly, and getting unreliable parts replaced with reliable parts might be a very good idea.

Yes, $400 for a pinsound board is enough to make me choke... but it would get your machine working and you wouldn't look back. You could also sell your old board working or non-working to get back some of your repair cost.

If you've got weeks/months to fuss with this, you have a couple of options.

I'm not afraid to pick my battles. If a board can be fixed easily, I'll do the simple stuff, maybe dig a little deeper. But fairly quickly in the board repair cycle I come to a choice...

I can send this for professional repair. They have the parts, they've done this before.

I can attempt to repair this myself, but at my level of skill, it would be extremely helpful to have a known good, working board on my bench to set right beside the non working board. Testing things becomes easier, and I can swap suspect parts into a known good system. (This solves your PAL question...)

So, do you have access to another working machine with the same sound board? Can you purchase a working sound board that you can use as an example for this repair and then sell the working soundboard you just purchased back?

The hardest path is to not have a working example of the board to test with/against, and to attempt the board repair without access to all the parts. That's likely going to be a... memorable... repair. Hehe.

I'm in Charlotte, and I'm sorry to say that I don't currently have inventory of the sound board you need... otherwise, I'd have been glad to help you by either providing you a known good machine to test your board in, or by sending you my (working) board to give you something to test with. Are there any other pinball guys near you that might provide some help?

If you proceed with your board repair, keep posting what you find, and we'll hopefully get the attention of some of the better board repair guys on Pinside involved.

Good luck!

2 weeks later
#8 1 year ago

This is what I would have done.

It's why I have a certain number of sound boards on a shelf near my bench waiting on me to look at them when I have time.

If you do find out what was going on I'm certain that many people would be interested.

Thanks for posting this problem!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,800 (OBO)
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lw3-no-sound?tu=PinRetail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.