• 12 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dahlman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi!
Recently bought my self a LW3 in decent condition. Everything seems to work except the return signal from the left flipper.
This mean i can't win the fight scene...select music etc
New in the Pinball game, but i've done some initial trouble shooting. When checking switches in the diagnostic menu the left flipper stays on/high all the time. If I remove the switch return connectors from the CPU board the switch is not on. This game does not have the physical EOS as seen on other data east games, and as far as I can understand this signal comes from the solid state flipper board by transistor Q7. I'am guessing this one is shorted...? What do you Pinball pro's out there say?

#2 7 years ago

LW3 should not have EOS switches... But the game has a switch on the left and right of the cabinet that activates in switch test to select music, enter initials, ect. It could be a "double blade leaf" type switch that compresses three blades together all in one press. One nipple or blade may be loose, or have a dab of solder splash on it or similar issue. Wire could have fallen off, ect. Get your meter out and start testing the switch(es).

Go to switch test to confirm that these switches are being seen by the MPU. Short the switch blades inside the cabinet with a piece of metal/wire to see if the nipple is corroded/dirty.

#3 7 years ago

Hi., thank's for your reply.
Yes, that i understand, sorry if i was a bit unclear about that in my post.

#4 7 years ago

Yes, i have checked in the menu, and that switch stays on, flipper button pressed or not.

#5 7 years ago

ok, test with your meter to see if the switch blades are shorted. Cut/desolder and test again, ect.

You have already determined that this is not a problem/fault of the MPU by unplugging the connector to the MPU.

So, is there a capacitor or diode soldered on this switch in question? It could be shorted. I think the flipper board tells the MPU when/if the sol. gets activated on this era of DE. Can you swap in a different flipper board to test it out?

Did you test this Q7 transistor?

#6 7 years ago

The actual flipper works good, if the blades would be shortened I guess I should have more problems than just the return signal to the CPU?

#7 7 years ago

This games only has 1 blade switch.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

This games only has 1 blade switch.

Ok, that makes sense then that the MPU gets it's "switch has been pressed" signal from the flipper board.

If you can't test Q7, you could always desolder it and test without it in circuit, to see if the switch input is still stuck on.

#9 7 years ago

Not sure if this Q7 is testable still sittning on the board. Seen that there are new flipper boards available...might try the easy way out

Is there any specific brand you would recommend? Seen thoose Dog...something board on ebay.

#10 7 years ago

Test the transistor with a meter (with the game off) set to "diode" test.

#11 7 years ago

Ordered some transistors, hope to have them in a couple of days.
Did some trouble shooting this weekend and yes, that transistor which I first suspected by looking at the schematics seems shorted.
Will get the soldering going as soon as I get the transistor. I'll be back with a success/fail report soon...ok ok ok

#12 7 years ago

Just mounted a new Q7, now everything works fine!
Fun with some easy earned five millions in the fight scenes

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lw3-left-flipper-switch-return and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.