Dear Lloyd

Our resident pinball guru Lloyd Olsen answers Pinside readers questions!

Edit this
LW3 Lampers

Letter received on Thursday November 14th 2013.

Thursday November 14th 2013

Dear Lloyd:

I just joined Pinside today, very exciting! I was not sure whether to get into forums there with similar topics or contact you.

Anyway, I have a problem with several columns on my Lamp Matrix on Data East LW3 game. When I do the diagnostics tests using the buttons from inside the coin door, lamps corresponding to columns 4,5,6,7 and 8 all are out (do not light). I replaced the female molex connector on CN6. I checked continuity of the column wires from the connector to the playfield lamp locations with a DMM and they all checked out okay.

Per a pinball fix it website, I then tested all the lamp matrix (column and row) pin combinations using "All Lamps" from CN6 and CN7 with two test leads, one each from CN6 and CN7, a 1N4004 diode to the CN7 side, and a 555 light socket and lamp in between. This time, columns 1,2,3,5, and 6 worked (lit the bulb) while columns 4,7,and 8 did not light the bulb inside the 555 socket.

Not sure what to do next, do I take the CPU Board out of the game now to test it further from the other side? I understand that the problem could also be the TIP42 Transistors and/or the 0.4 ohm, 3 watt Resistors. How do I check those on the board? What else do you think it could be and how do I go about testing and fixing it?

Thanks

Lousy Lamps in LW3

Not sure if you need it, but my user name is NEED HELP

Hi NH

I'd pull the CPU. Check TIP42, compare readings to other TIP42's. Resistor you'd have to remvoe one leg to get an accurate reading.

And if there is an IC upstream from these columns - pull it put in a socket and replace it.

LTG : )

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lw3-lampers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.