New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 150223)

LW3 lamp socket advice sought

By Daz66

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2016-01-25_05.54.52[1].jpg
20160124_200252[1]_(resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

Many of the lamp sockets in my lethal weapon 3 are heavily oxidised and it appears i have purchased the wrong replacement sockets. The original have 3 lugs and my new parts have just 2. Can anyone advise as to a way to use these new lamp sockets in some way that will serve the same purpose or do i just order some more of the correct variety. Also have recently replaced many original lamps with LEDs, is there a recommended procedure for avoiding damage due to the extra voltage/current not used by the new lamps and 'as i picture it' roaming free and being a nuisance.
Thanks for any help.
Darryl

20160124_200252[1]_(resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago

The third tab is just for connecting the diode too. If you were to disconnect the red wire and the diode from the left tab the lamp will still work. But in doing so the red wire connected to the diode will need to be insulated. Also the diode lead may break over time due to flexing and vibration because it isn't attached to something solid.

Quoted from Daz66:due to the extra voltage

The voltage will still be the same, the extra current not being used is not a problem. The lower current being used will lengthen the life of the power supply and connectors.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks very much mate. Here's what i understood you meant. I'll try it out and see how it goes. Any suggestions for insulation i don't reckon electrical tape would be ideal. I have replaced the power board and playfield power board with new rottendog boards and now the game really hums quite loud, not sure if it's something to worry about or not. Any thoughts?
Thanks again for your help2016-01-25_05.54.52[1].jpg

#4 4 years ago

Yes that will work. I would use heat shrink tubing to insulate from the wire all the way to the socket as it will help support it. Also maybe two layers with help support more. Then tie it to the yellow wire to help support it.

Quoted from Daz66:now the game really hums quite loud, not sure if it's something to worry about or not. Any thoughts?

Make sure all mounting screws are installed and tight. Keep wires away from the display. And you may need to recap the power supply.

#5 4 years ago

Thanks that advice is very appropriate as i know i am a few mounting screws short on the power board. Please excuse my ignorance, not sure what you mean by 'recap the power supply'

#6 4 years ago

It means to replace all the capacitors on the power supply. They have a limited lifespan and may make the power board unreliable if theyre bad. But as you have replaced the power board with a new Rottendog one, that shouldnt be an issue.

#7 4 years ago

I wasn't sure if you changed the power supply and or the MPU board with a Rottendog. There is also the big blue cap in the back box that can give trouble sometimes.

#8 4 years ago

Have replaced about half the oxidised lamp sockets and fixed the loud humm by unplugging the backboard speakers. The right speaker was making all the racket. Been playing for an hour with no dramas although i will have to remove some of the new LEDs and replace with originals, just too much colour assaulting the eyes and near on impossible to keep track of the ball. Many thanks and may your next pinball score always be higher than the last

#9 4 years ago

Leds can be over powering, must wear shades

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
2,350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Magnolia, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside