Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by balboarules
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Friend has a rough DE lethal weapon 3. When I turn game on it does the EPROM version display then wont boot further. PIA stays lit. However, If I wait about 15 seconds and turn game off and on and it seems to boot fine. Guessing something has warmed up and works second time???

Has a rottendog power supply. I dont suspect connector cause I never touch anything and it boots second time. Before I send out for repair would love to try a few things first as I think this repair would be almost as much as the game

#2 6 years ago

Has it lost memory, and should be displaying "open the door" but isn't? That's my first thought to anything that works after you turn it off and on real quick.

#3 6 years ago

nope....new batteries and never get that message....thanks for idea though

#4 6 years ago

The memory chip on the CPU could be the culprit...also one of the PIAs could be toast, but the memory chip is a cheap part and it's socketed, so try it first and report back.

#5 6 years ago

odd... still have an original DE power supply you could try in it's place?

#6 6 years ago

I would change C2 and C7 next to the big heat sink on the power supply board. Edit: just saw it was a rottendog replacement.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks for all the help!. Would love to solve this...Assuming PS is good Ill try whatever you all think makes sense...

Kvan99 are these chips easy to find? Why would game boot after Iturn off and back on? Suspected a power issue but cpu has 4.9 at test points.

#8 6 years ago

dont see any acid damage...It feels like a hardware problem and not roms...A capacitor that warms up?

#9 6 years ago

I would reseat the socketed chips. Sounds like chip creep to me. Also reseat the ribbion cables. VERY common to have an issue there.

#10 6 years ago

thanks...anyone have this MPU board for sale let me know....prob easier then fixing this one...got some pricey repair estimates....

#11 6 years ago

How old is the power supply? I have seen them go bad . Also reseat the connectors and see if does it then. Very common to replace the power supply and not redo all the connectors.
Could be as simple as a power supply pin solder [on main board if ps new], to a bad molex or pin/s or even hardware. But given the game i suspect headers or pins etc. Especially with the new power supply assuming it is good. You can always meter the supply on power up and see if it falls off while booting the first time....just a thought....

#12 6 years ago

http://www.rottendog.us/MPU004.html

https://ksarcade.net/data-east-replacement-mpu004.html

K's will also put updated roms in the board with the sale.. they are very good to deal with.

Steve

#13 6 years ago

Also, check with them for repair prices, and Lock when lit as well... both very good

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside