(Topic ID: 102085)

LW3 CPU board issues?

By Ripcord

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ripcord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi all,

So I picked up a LW3 a while ago, and it's been steadily developing worse issues.

Since I got it several months ago, occasionally the system would seem to sort of soft-reset: The DMD might re-initialize and show the bootup again, the startup sound might play, or both. In each case active games continued to play and what was happening on the playfield wasn't interrupted (or scoring, etc). Every so often what was happening on the DMD would lag behind in seeming to get updates from the game board - some sort of on-screen activity might complete, but the DMD not return to scoring screen. This includes cases where the DMD continued to update (as if the game didn't exit a particular game mode, but was still getting updated, even though the sound and playfield activity change), and so on. Every so often the game would "hang" - flippers still worked and and a few things still active, but the playfield generally become inactive.

Now I'm at a point where the game freezes like this after only about 5-30 seconds. Sometimes I can get through 3 minutes. Entering self-test will also occasionally freeze like this. In each case I hear the startup noises getting kicked off a few times before the freeze.

19 times out of 20 self-test passes, but occasionally it ends up in a failure state, with PIA LED flashing twice - check EEPROM in slot 5B. Except there is no EEPROM in 5B in this system, and there shouldn't be =)

I'm thinking about ordering a complete new EEPROM kit and replacing them (my first time doing that). Anyone have any other ideas before I do? Or advice if I replace the EEPROMs?

Thanks

#3 9 years ago

I wouldn't say it specifically resets or ends exactly. Some component seems to reset, and I hear, for example, the startup noise again. And eventually seems to hang in some way, either temporarily or permanently.

My electronics testing kung-fu is improving but still weak. But let me see if I can figure out the best way to test strong (high?) +5 voltages at the MPU and display boards, like you suggested.

#4 9 years ago

Ok, as best as I can tell voltage is normal, between 4.87 and 4.98 volts. So I'm good there?

#6 9 years ago

Nope, no battery leakage. Moved the batteries off-board to an external carrier which is on the bottom of the backbox and out of the way of harm. And not leaking.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ripcord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lw3-cpu-board-issues?tu=ripcord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.