Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by snyper2099
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 2 years ago

Common misconception. The voltage is always on both sides of all coils at all times, right when you power the machine on. The thing that causes the “action” of the coil is the “temporary grounding” of the coil voltage. This is accomplished with the transistor.

If you have voltage on some coils and not others, then you have a problem. Check voltage using the positive on each coil lug and leave the neg. Lead on the cabinet’s “ground braid”. You should see the positive DC voltage at all coil lugs.

Most machines have multiple fuses for coils. Sometimes One in the head, one under the PF, etc. I suspect that could be the problem if you are only seeing volts at some coils and not others.

#9 2 years ago

Replacing the transistor is a good first step there if it’s testing bad. What makes you think to replace the coil? If it didn’t have a meltdown and the plunger moves freely, the coil is probably fine. I would test the diode as suggested by cutting one side and testing it to see if it’s causing your “shorted” signal. (If you don’t want to wait to order a diode, just desolder one from the coin door credit switch.)

When you power the machine on for the first time after replacing a transistor, look to see if the coil engages and locks on immediately. If it does, immediately turn the machine off (before fuse blows) and look for something else at fault… report finding back here.

You hopefully know to do all this with the game OFF!

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from sidetrackedbrew:

When I hooked up the coil in reverse, there was a puff of smoke and now the coil reads 0 ohms. My understanding is the diode only allows power to flow in one direction. I also realized that the 42 or so volts on each leg of the other coils is probably the 78V being fed from one side and being split in half, with the coil resistance accounting for the 5-6 lost volts. There happened to be a spare transistor on the board, so I wired it to that one and am awaiting some coils from pinballlife. I’m hoping putting in a new coil hooked to the non-shorted transistor will solve the problem; I don’t want to hook this coil back up, I’m down to one fuse!

Make a “fuse breaker” and you will never waste another fuse again. Additionally, you need to put the “wires” back on the right side of the diode… it does not matter what lug of the coil, it matters what wire goes to THE BANDED SIDE OF THE DIODE. If you don’t know, it will match all other banded diodes on all other coils.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,800 (OBO)
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lw3-coil-meltdown-help?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.