Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P3220155_(resized).JPG
P3210151_(resized).JPG
P3190148_(resized).JPG
P3190145_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

F5 fuse keeps blowing on power up. Not a board issue as I have disconnected all connections then plugged them in one by one. J7 pops the fuse upon contact. Traced the purple/yellow & yellow/purple without a visible short. Can a fried coil cause this? How do I check my coils without power?

Thanks in advance.
Lee

#2 8 years ago

So it blows as soon as you plug J4 into the PPB board? Sounds like a classic failed bridge rectifier. I just replaced one in my Spring Break this morning that failed last night when people where over.

Find the bridge rectifier for this power supply. (probably next to the fuse)

Set your DMM to diode test

Red lead on the Negative terminal of the bridge. Black lead probe the two AC (wavy line) terminals. Each should read 0.4v to 0.6v or so.

Black lead on the positive terminal of the bridge. Red lead on the two AC legs. Each should read 0.4v to 0.6v or so.

A reading of 0v indicates a shorted diode inside the bridge. That will blow the fuse immediately.

#3 8 years ago

I have the same issue on my WWF Royal Rumble.

#4 8 years ago

It's J7 Andrew. I hear the short somewhere under the PF. I just can't find it.

#5 8 years ago

measure the resistance of every coil using low ohm setting of dmm. if one reads 0ohm or really low, cut the diode off. If it still reads low ohm or shorted 0ohm the coil is bad.

#6 8 years ago

So a bad coil can do this? What is considered low?
I restore BGs, Cabs, & PFs. I leave the sparky stuff to the pros.

#7 8 years ago

Coils look OK. 8.3 to 6.3. There looks to be a scorch mark @ R20 on the PPB, would this be my problem? Check the left leg.
Andrew is this something easily fixed?

P3190145_(resized).JPGP3190145_(resized).JPG

P3190148_(resized).JPGP3190148_(resized).JPG

#8 7 years ago

Coil for the 1 hole kicker looked like the wrapper was bulging. Cut one end of the diode, stuck it with the DMM. 0.00 on lowest resistance. Think we have a loser. Thanks Andrew for all the help.

Lee

#9 7 years ago

Replace the coil. Make sure you wire it up right / diode orientation. If it still locks on, the solenoid driver transistor is bad (kinda likely to be after a coil burns).

That resistor looks fine to me, i dont really see any burns. I would visually inspect the main driver transistor for the associated burnt coil looking for a cracked open or burnt case. Sometimes solder balls will squeeze out of the case seams too when it has failed. DMM on diode test will tell you if the associated driver has failed.

#10 7 years ago

Are those the ones marked Q? If so Q4 read zero. All others had similar 530s. I probed the outside legs, then the middle & outside. Q4 dropped to zero every time.

#11 7 years ago

Had Q4 replaced. Put in a new coil. Powered up. Then this.

P3210151_(resized).JPGP3210151_(resized).JPG

#12 7 years ago

I'm battling the same problem with my LW3 as you have right now. R16 has fried a couple times on me, and also Q4. It runs the shooter coil, and I've read that if you replace this transistor and resistor, but don't replace the diode on the coil, the transistor will keep frying. So, I'm going to replace my burnt resistor (again), and my Q4 is still fine this time but I'm replacing the diode on the shooter coil as well. I've replaced the diode on the coil before too, just maybe not the last time I replaced the resistor/transistor, and it's funny but it has worked for a long time till now with no problems. The voltage at my coil is 70v, seems normal, so I'm just hoping that this time it'll stay working, not sure what else could be causing it.

*Edit: I stand corrected, Q4 was blown this time as well. Luckily I have the parts on hand, so replacing all including coil diode, hopefully this repair lasts...

Final Edit: I replaced said parts and fired the shooter a whole bunch of times, then felt the resistor and Q4 to see if they were warming up, and both were nice and cool. Maybe I got it this time? Good luck with yours, I'll be watching to see if you get it fixed.

#13 7 years ago

It's personal now!

Thanks for your input CG.

I ordered new coils w/diodes. I'm changing out the shooter & #1 hole kicker. Both are on the same Purple/Yellow stripe line. I have replaced Q4, R16, & D18. Hopefully this will fix it. I also found a short between the lamp base & housing on the shooter cover. Easy fix, bend the base legs so they don't touch the sides anymore. Then I cut the top off of a bulb condom & sleeved the lamp base. I didn't like how close it was. Just Ohm'd the shooter coil. Dead. There's my problem. I read a tech note on Pinwiki under game specific issues, that the leaf switch from the right flipper makes contact with the shooter coil on occasion. So I'm shrink tubing that lug & electrical taping the back side of the leaf. http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lethal_Weapon_3

P3220155_(resized).JPGP3220155_(resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago

The Demon has been exorcised. CG now you know what to do.
Shooter coil inappropriately touched by the right flipper button leaf switch.
Thanks to all! Thanks Pinwiki.

#15 7 years ago

Wow thanks Pinballocks, inappropriate touching is not allowed! lol. I have to check this out on mine, since it could be exactly what's been causing all my problems with burning resistors and blowing transistors. It makes perfect sense, and on occassion I get the right flipper acting funny, and losing power briefly.

I'll bet I have some shorting happening at the same places you had. Thanks again, going to work on it now.

#16 7 years ago

No problem CG. Just trying to give back to the community that has been so good to me & my nasty habit.

#17 7 years ago

had similar problems plague me on my lethal, which was my first machine. swapped coiled swapped boards still never fully solved. going to have to bookmark this and revisit the old beast. she left a bad taste in my mouth and i got distracted with other machines so been sitting in the corner for awhile

1 week later
#18 7 years ago

11 days later after working great, my resistor burnt to a crisp , so I imagine Q4 is shot again too. Going to make a separate post to that effect. I also insulated the flipper button from the shooter coil, and I thought maybe that did the trick, but no. BTW my housing on my shooter cover is plastic, and I assume yours is too so no real need to insulate that part.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lw3-blown-fuse-f5-50v and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.