Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170906_055517 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170906_055506 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170906_055400 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170906_055357 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170906_055353 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I picked up a Lethal Weapon 3 and when you turn it on it starts to boot shows version on the dmd then you can see the f5 fuse blow. I did some looking about how a stuck coil could cause this and found the outhole kicker not freely moving so I cleaned it up and that works fine but still blows the fuse. Any direction I should take to dive in deeper? Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

whatever transistor on the board that controls it might be cooked too

#3 6 years ago

Check the Pinwiki LW3 page.
The right flipper button leaf switch will make contact with the lugs of the shooter coil. Much chaos created.
Good hunting.

#4 6 years ago

Does anyone know what molex on the ppb controls the coils? I looked at the manual but must be missing it.

#5 6 years ago

Ok so I figured it out last night. I disconnected the J7 molex and the fuse doesn't blow so that narrows it down to a possible bad coil? Also with that disconnected should I still have the game boot? The display comes up with version and the playfield goes through a cycle then nothing else. This is my first DE game so trying to figure it out. Thanks in advance!

2 weeks later
#6 6 years ago

So I have made some progress. I have replaced 3 coils and now the fuse will blow violently but the game will go through and attempt to start. When you press the start button the game resets and then nothing.....

#7 6 years ago

F5 is your 50V supply. If it's blowing instantly then a coil may still be bad but the associated transistor would have to be shorted. A shorted coil (or diode on the coil) won't blow a fuse until it's energized so one of the TIP 36C transistors on the PPB is most likely shorted.

The 50V coils and associated transistors on that game are the VUK-Q2, Laser Kick-Q3, Ball Launch-Q4 and Knocker-Q5.

1 week later
#8 6 years ago

Just an update, I was able to get my hands on a new board for testing. After installing still blows the fuse on the 50v supply. So since I do not see any visual problems with any coils with the power off what am I testing?

#9 6 years ago

Anyone have any other suggestions? Someone I know mentioned the bridge rectifier could be an issue. I took a meter to it but not sure exactly what I should be looking for. Thanks in advance!

#10 6 years ago

Disconnect CN2 from the Solid State Flipper board and see if it still blows the 50V fuse.

#11 6 years ago

Ok I swapped out the bridge rectifier on br2. No change. I unplugged cn2 still blows fuse. I disconnect the j4 connector on the ppb does not blow and the game does not start.

#12 6 years ago

I'm getting confused. You said you were blowing F5. There are two F5 fuses. One on the power supply and one on the PPB. Both of them are 5 amp Slo-Blo. Since you said disconnecting J7 stops the fuse from blowing I assumed the F5 you were talking about is the F5 on the PPB that feeds the 50V high voltage solenoids through J7. So what was the logic in changing BR2? BR2 is for the 34V low voltage solenoids and protected by the two 8 amp Slo-Blo fuses in the backbox.

J4 on the PPB is the AC into the bridge (BR1) on the PPB which feeds the 50V out J7. The 50V only goes to a few circuits so this shouldn't be that hard. If you disconnected CN2 on the Solid State Flipper board (below the playfield on the left on the left side of the cabinet) and it still blows, you've narrowed it down to the 4 coils and associated circuits I listed above. If you changed any of those coils double check to make sure the polarity is correct. The 50V (Violet-Yellow for the VUK, Laser Kick and Ball Launch or Yellow-Violet for the Knocker) goes to the cathode (stripe) side of the diode on the coils. J8 on the PPB is the return. If the fuse blows with J8 disconnected there is a ground short somewhere with those Violet-Yellow, Yellow-Violet wires. If the fuse doesn't blow with J8 disconnected but does when it's plugged in, the issue is most likely the coils, diodes or associated transistors on the PPB.

#13 6 years ago

The bridge was suggested to replace as a possible problem. Sorry yes the F5 on the PPB is blowing. I have replaced some of the coils that you mentioned and I will check to make sure the polarity is correct tonight and report back.

#14 6 years ago

ScottSerpa here are the pics

IMG_20170906_055353 (resized).jpgIMG_20170906_055353 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170906_055357 (resized).jpgIMG_20170906_055357 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170906_055400 (resized).jpgIMG_20170906_055400 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170906_055506 (resized).jpgIMG_20170906_055506 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170906_055517 (resized).jpgIMG_20170906_055517 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Splicing the Violet-Yellow wire the way you did is a bad idea because it can get confusing if someone's not paying attention. The regular Violet-Yellow wire is 50V and should go to the cathode (stripe) side of the coil. The Brown - Yellow should go to the anode. If those were reversed or connected together you have no doubt blown Q4 on the PPB board. If you're 100% sure you didn't have that wrong and Q4 is good then your diode and or coil is bad.

As for the MPU not booting. This is a separate problem. The only voltage that board needs to boot is 5V. Check for good 5V at the test points at the top right of the battery pack.

There is a boot up sequence indicated with those LED's on the MPU. Under normal operation the PIA and +5V lights will come on with power up. A second or so later the PIA light should go out and the Blanking LED should come on. Internal diagnostics can sometimes display a failure "blink" code displayed by the PIA. Unfortunately this is not 100% accurate but often times it's a good start. If the PIA blinks once the RAM at D5 is bad. If it blinks 3 times the EPROM at C5 is bad. If the PIA stays on solid there is a buss issue. That being said, how old are those batteries? I've seen low batteries corrupt the CMOS and cause game lock ups. Wouldn't hurt to remove the batteries and see if there is any difference in symptoms.

#16 6 years ago

ScottSerpa I replaced the coil and it does not blow the fuse. What is happening besides the game not starting the coil energizes when you turn the game on and doesn't release. Is that a function of the ppb?

#17 6 years ago

If we're still talking about the ball launch coil then yes the PPB (Q4 to be exact) is probably the cause. However since Q4 is turned on by the CPU it could also be an issue with the CPU. To isolate disconnect CN12 on the CPU and briefly turn on the game. If the coil still locks then Q4 on the PPB is bad. If it doesn't lock then look at Q27 on the CPU board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
3,800 (OBO)
$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lw3-blowing-fuse-constantly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.