(Topic ID: 124547)

LW3 Beacon won't stop spinning. Any ideas?

By action76

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider action76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I picked up a LW3 with a few problem I have been working through. One that has me stumped is that the topper beacon spins continuously from the second it's powered on. I changed Q25, which I believe controls the beacon, because it tested bad. I thought that would fix it but it didn't. The pre-driver tests fine, so I am not sure where to go from here. I guess it could be a TTL chip or PIA? Anybody have this problem before or know how to fix it?

Also, it had a pop bumper stuck on and melted the coil. I replaced the coil and the Q9 and the pre-driver which is a 2N4401. I did not have a 2N4401 so I used a 2N2222A because I read somewhere they were compatible. Well the PB coil does not lock on now but it will not fire at all. Do you think the sub transistor I used would be the problem?

Thanks.

#8 9 years ago

Wow! I thought I checked that they were both EBC. I guess I read it wrong. I will try swapping that out with the right part and try again. Thanks guys. I'll report back when I try these suggestions.

#9 9 years ago

Update: I replaced the wrong transistor with the correct one and it did not make any difference. I also changed the pre-driver on the beacon just to make sure and it did not make any difference either. A friend helped me track it down and now it looks like a logic issue. I am going to swap out one of the 7402 chips and see if that fixes the pop bumper. I am not sure if that chip has anything to do with the beacon though.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

It is possible for just one leg to short on a 7402.

Best I can tell, the chip is made up of 4 NOR gates and each one controls a coil. So it's possible that just one gate is bad and the other 3 are fine, I think.

#13 9 years ago

Well, the new 7402 chip fixed the non firing PB. Still not sure about the beacon yet though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,800 (OBO)
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider action76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lw3-beacon-wont-stop-spinning-any-ideas?tu=action76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.