New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 124547)

LW3 Beacon won't stop spinning. Any ideas?

By action76

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by snyper2099
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I picked up a LW3 with a few problem I have been working through. One that has me stumped is that the topper beacon spins continuously from the second it's powered on. I changed Q25, which I believe controls the beacon, because it tested bad. I thought that would fix it but it didn't. The pre-driver tests fine, so I am not sure where to go from here. I guess it could be a TTL chip or PIA? Anybody have this problem before or know how to fix it?

Also, it had a pop bumper stuck on and melted the coil. I replaced the coil and the Q9 and the pre-driver which is a 2N4401. I did not have a 2N4401 so I used a 2N2222A because I read somewhere they were compatible. Well the PB coil does not lock on now but it will not fire at all. Do you think the sub transistor I used would be the problem?

Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

probably riggs was driving last.

#3 5 years ago

Pre driver 2N4401 can test good but still be bad... swap it out first. They are like $1. I would order 10 of them since they fail ALL THE TIME. In pinball, they are more like fuses than transistors.

On the other question... I would swap a known working 2N4401 from another place on the MPU to test your theory, if you don't have a new one readily available.

2n2222a? I've never tried one of those in a pinball. It's not identical but should be ok... nope, legs don't match!

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from action76:

I did not have a 2N4401 so I used a 2N2222A because I read somewhere they were compatible.

While the spec's are similar the packaging is completely different. So even if it might work I would guess you've got it wired incorrectly. 2N4401 is 1-emitter, 2-base and 3-collector. 2N2222A is 1-base, 2-collector and 3-emitter.

Get the correct transistor and try again.

#5 5 years ago

Looks like you would have to mount it backwards for a 2N2222a to work. Good to know this. But,
I would just use the intended part as terryb suggested, not "cram" something like that in there.

#6 5 years ago

Backwards wouldn't work either (that would put the base on the collector and the collector on the base).

OP: Do not ever use a different transistor unless you are positive it is a valid replacement. You not only risk the transistor going up in smoke, but also damaging other components.

#7 5 years ago

well, assuming you twisted two legs to crossover as well... that's what I meant. I would never try to hack that part in there is all I was saying. I fixed my posts.

#8 5 years ago

Wow! I thought I checked that they were both EBC. I guess I read it wrong. I will try swapping that out with the right part and try again. Thanks guys. I'll report back when I try these suggestions.

#9 5 years ago

Update: I replaced the wrong transistor with the correct one and it did not make any difference. I also changed the pre-driver on the beacon just to make sure and it did not make any difference either. A friend helped me track it down and now it looks like a logic issue. I am going to swap out one of the 7402 chips and see if that fixes the pop bumper. I am not sure if that chip has anything to do with the beacon though.

#10 5 years ago

PIA on MPU drives the 7402's, which in turn drive the pre-drive trans, which in turn, drive the main trans. Usually a 7402 drives more than one device/transistor. It is possible for just one leg to short on a 7402.

#11 5 years ago

I'd leave the light always spinning. That's not a problem, that's a feature.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

It is possible for just one leg to short on a 7402.

Best I can tell, the chip is made up of 4 NOR gates and each one controls a coil. So it's possible that just one gate is bad and the other 3 are fine, I think.

#13 5 years ago

Well, the new 7402 chip fixed the non firing PB. Still not sure about the beacon yet though.

#14 5 years ago

Well, it could be the 7402 that runs the beacon. Probably a different one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Magnolia, TX
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlton, MA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside