Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coils.jpg
tmp_13713-DSC_0039-206271938.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Any Lethal Weapon 3 owners have issues with air balls when hitting the center drop target area? I've adjusted the playfield to 6.5 degrees and reduced coil power to low, and that helped, but I'll still get the occasional airball. The ball will hit the right side of the drop target area and sometimes fly across into the left habit trail that feeds the left flipper, or can be heard whacking against the left side of the cabinet and back to the playfield.

Also, I get a lot of bounce outs when shooting into the 3 hole on the upper right of the playfield. Ball will fly into there and not stay put and come back out, or kick out to the left and proceed into the pops.

I placed a piece of weather stripped on the back metal plate behind the hole, hoping to deaden the ball, but still get the bounce outs.

Any suggestions for either of these issues?

#2 10 years ago

Visibility bump

3 months later
#3 9 years ago

I have an idea that i have not yet tried on my LW3 (with exactly the same issues, maybe by design?)
I am thinking of adjusting the metal guides leading up ti the #3 hole so that they are more like a wedge shape,
and that might slow the ball down enough to stay caught in the hole. That is just an idea, that i have not yet tried with my pin

cheers
/Micael

#4 9 years ago

Make sure you've got foam tape behind all of the targets. Any additional padding you can add in trouble areas helps as well. Same thing happened on my JPs until I added some foam behind some of the targets that were missing it.

#5 9 years ago

My game has a clear plastic that hangs over the center drops to prevent airballs. Perhaps your game is missing it.

Every LW3 has bounce outs on the 3 hole. I have tried some foam as well and it did not help. I think it's just a case of bad design.

#6 9 years ago

Just about every LW3 I have ever seen, including mine, has broken plastics behind/above those center targets... Bad design I reckon, and a shame as replacements are near impossible to get
Paul. Editor, pavlovpinball.com

2 months later
#7 9 years ago

can someone send me a close up of the center drop area. I am rerubbering a game for someone and just wanted to see correct way they go.

Mike

#8 9 years ago

I have LW3 but I cant recall that problem on that game, but Star Wars however, jeez....
hitting the x-wing stand-up's makes the ball flyyyyy
sometimes the ball ends up back in the shooter lane...really annoying.
But after reading some of the inputs here, it did gave me some ideas

Cheers guys!

#9 9 years ago

will this image do? tmp_13713-DSC_0039-206271938.JPGtmp_13713-DSC_0039-206271938.JPG

#10 9 years ago

I have a couple of repro plastics for sale of the clear air-ball protection type for the center drop down target (as seen on the image above)

#11 9 years ago

My game has double posts behind drops

Why not use two bands? Won't that help air balls

Pm sent on plastic

#12 9 years ago

Air balls are normal on D.E. unfortunately, I read that Williams did some serious research when picking coils for the game to make sure the shots were smooth. Data East's clunky moniker is mostly due to the mismatch coil strength on their games that makes the games bounce all over the pf.

#13 9 years ago

I'm ordering two new flipper coils for the LW3 I am shopping. These are pretty rough and each of them have 2 diodes on them. Would it make sense to go 1 down in coil strength? Have read several times that the LW3 coils, like other DE, are too strong. What would be next coil down if I did this.

#14 9 years ago

I can't answer that for sure, I've never tried it, do you have a coil from another machine you can try to see if it will work?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I'm ordering two new flipper coils for the LW3 I am shopping. These are pretty rough and each of them have 2 diodes on them. Would it make sense to go 1 down in coil strength? Have read several times that the LW3 coils, like other DE, are too strong. What would be next coil down if I did this.

Here is a chart showing the strength of each flipper coil for DE and Sega games. LW3 should have 23-1100 org-org coils from factory. you could install 23-1500, 24-1570, or 25-1800 for weaker coils.
http://www.betson.com/images/cms/amusement/10011001_CoilChart.pdf

#16 9 years ago

thanks...dont see 23-1100 on pinball life site....I thought my manual showed 090-5030. same?

#17 9 years ago

Here is the chart with strength and the Stern part number. 23-1100 = 090-5030.
coils.jpgcoils.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lw3-air-balls-and-bounce-outs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.