You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180820_182840557 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180820_182855082 (resized).jpg
IMG_1256 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I recently picked up a Lucky Strike and quickly noticed the main bell clapper needed to be replaced because I was getting a dull clank sound on some of the points. After replacing the clapper the main bell came to life, but I'm still getting the dull clanking sound on some of the scores-mainly the individual pins. I opened up the back to see where that 'bell' is located but could not find where the sound is coming from. It almost sounds like it is coming from the score reels.

1. Is that a normal sound for the machine?
2. If not, what makes the sound and where is it hidden away.

#2 5 years ago

I recently had to put a couple of bells in a machine that were missing them. there needed to be a washer between the bell and the bracket so the bell will vibrate when struck

IPDB doesn't have any pics of your back-box

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Photopin:

After replacing the clapper the main bell came to life, but I'm still getting the dull clanking sound on some of the scores-mainly the individual pins.

Could be the One Chime Bar that is enclosed in a small wooden box in the Head that needs a rebuild as well.

#4 5 years ago

EM-PINMAN Yes, that could be it. I didn't know there was a Chime Bar in the machine. Where is it located in the head?

#5 5 years ago

Yeah, your machine has one of these...
IMG_1256 (resized).JPGIMG_1256 (resized).JPG

I have tried to get this to sing, no dice. Check for sticking plunger or burnt coil, makes a bad design worse.
Some people like the " plinking thud" others don't.
Some mount a bell in this position that will work with the coil.
I got tired of it and am in the process of converting to a Gottlieb 3- chime unit, just cause I like the sound.

#6 5 years ago

phil-lee my game does not have a box like that. However, it does have a slim wood box on the left side about 6 inches up from the bottom. The box is about 1/2 inch thick at most and does appear to be hollow. (see attached photos) I can't imagine anything functional being inside it.

IMG_20180820_182840557 (resized).jpgIMG_20180820_182840557 (resized).jpgIMG_20180820_182855082 (resized).jpgIMG_20180820_182855082 (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago

You may have a 5" Bell (maybe smaller) on the backside of the lower cabinet below the head instead of the one chime box. The AAB version appears to have the chime bar and your replay version apparently does not. Your Bell may need a new plunger if the nylon tip is broken off.

#8 5 years ago

Bingo! You were dead on the money EM-PINMAN. 5" bell tucked away where it wasn't easily seen.
Might have been the easiest fix I'll ever come across. The wires leading to the head were draped over the top of the bell deadening it. Rings loud and clear now.

Thanks for all the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lucky-strike-bells?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.