• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bdPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4368 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Picked up a lucky seven that had a missing driver board. Started by putting my driver board on that CPU, but no go. Both lights lit, so I decided to go ahead and put my spare system 6 board in this game. I had been using that system 6 board in my Firepower, but something happened, and I put another system 6 board I had laying around around into the Firepower now that game works fine.

I put the roms from the mpu that was in the game when I bought it, into the broken MPU. These Roms (Oh, Eproms I mean) seem to be fairly modern, they're printed with a modern label printer. So, now I have this Sys6 board that I know worked at one point, but just comes up with 01 04 in the displays now (this is in the Lucky Seven) Even after doing the quickie reset thing, still only 01 04.

So I got the new cpu and driver board in, looked up these codes, and it seems to indicate the 5101 is bad. Gee, I've been down this road before, luckily I stocked up on 5101s. The first one I put in did nothing - double red lights locked on. So, out with that one, and in with a second one - or well, 3rd one including the first one that was in there when I started. So, it still comes up with 01 04, but now, when I do the quickie-reset thing, It flashes all zeros, like it's going to boot into attract mode, I get some sort of clicking, the controlled lights flash once, and then it goes to double-red lights, with nothing in the displays.

I thought I might try putting the test ROM in, and put it on my test bench. The game is currently at my pin shop, which is physically about 5 miles from my house where I have the Test bench. Anyway, anyone have any ideas on what this might be? I'm hoping I'll just plug that test rom in, and it'll come up and flash me the answer, but alas.. I'm not holding my breath.

I kinda like this Lucky Seven, it's sort of a mix between the old and the new. It's playfield targets, and the buttons on the side of the cabinet are from an earlier time. The targets are the older "single" targets, and the flipper buttons don't have the plastic cases around them, they're just the buttons sticking out of the sides of the game. No Sound board, it only has the chimes, and a buzzer that I guess tells you if you're going to tilt it.

Okay- Off to the test bench with this. I'll post if it gives me any insights.

-Brian

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Batteries good?

Batteries gone. I put a set in to check it out, but that didn't seem to help anything.

-Brian

#5 6 years ago

Right, but the on-and-off trick always (well usually) gets the game to boot into play mode. And, Like I said, I put some batteries in it, and it is still stuck in audits mode.. I think I'll try out my test chip here when I get my power supply, and and clip leads all hooked up.

I'll post updates!

-Brian

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The first line of HEX in the good IC14.716 ROM image should be this.
14 24 03 24 01 30 03 30 01 22 01 28 03 10 20 30
If it is anything else you have the wrong game ROM. I doubt planetry pinball or IPDB fixed this, so if you got them from there, probably a bad image. PM your email and I can send you the good ROM. Came across this when I used to do board work. You can fix it yourself self by splitting the ROM into two halves and then recombine them in the opposite order.

Interesting. You know, the roms that were in there are labeled with Lucky 7, and say 14, 17, & 20 (I think) my point is that becaue they were printed, I somehow assumed they were good! I've got a reader/burner, I'll give them another look. I'm having a little problem with my desoldering station right now, and I set bout replacing the remaining non-trifurcon pinned connectors, as well as the driver side of the interconnect since those were the last pins that hadn't been replaced. But with the problems with the soldering station I'll have to shelve this until I get replacement tips, and whatnot to make it keep temperature again.

You know Little Rosanna-sanna-danna- It's always something.

-Brian

1 month later
#14 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Someone might have pulled the planetary pinball ROMs. Tried it, didnt work, and just thought the board wad dead. I would for sure verify them.

Well Son of a bitch! I downloaded the roms. re-burnt them, and it came right up!!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Now if I can just get these drop targets to re-set.

-Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lucky-seven-ss-5101-and-now-what?tu=bdPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.