6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mike21878
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mike21878.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi.

Totally a novice in the realm of fixing SS games so I'll apologize in advance if I'm missing something obvious.

Bought a Lucky Seven about a year ago (the SS version) that had major battery leakage on the two main boards. Bought the Rottendog replacement. Tested the power supply and it seems the correct voltage is being sent out. Before replacing the board, the playfield and backglass lights (though not the displays) lit up and the flippers fired just fine.

Replaced all the fuses in the game, swapped in the Rottendog board and went through all their testing (Board works, diagnostics on the board are all set). Plugged everything back in and had mild success. Now, the 4 "slave" displays all work, surprisingly complete and full. The only display that doesn't work is the "Master" display (Ball in play and credit). Double-checked all the connections and they all seem to be solid. Playfield still lights up, backglass bulbs are still illuminated, flippers do not work any longer (but i'm guessing that's not a problem right now). I would say that it's in the "Game Over" state.

From all the other posts i've seen online and in various websites, it seems the common problem is none of the displays working, or only the master and not the slaves. I seem to have the opposite problem.

I'm able to run the display diagnostic test from inside the machine, but no other diagnostics seem to initialize. I'm assuming it's related to the master display not working, but again, i'm a dum-dum when it comes to SS machines.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The master display working or not shouldn't affect the functioning of the various display tests.
It could be that the master display just has a bad glass, or one of its driver chips has failed. Since the other displays work fine, it's almost definitely an issue with the master display board.

Great. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look in to replacing the master board then.

I should have been clearer though in regards to the diagnostic tests. I wasn't able to get any of the solenoid/light tests to start. Couldn't get past the display test but I'm guessing when one thing goes, it's a cascading effect.

Thanks again!

#5 6 years ago

Not wearing my thinking cap yet today ...

So it's likely something else in addition to the display board. Should be getting the manual today in the mail. Hopefully that can shed some light on it.

#7 6 years ago

I guess eventually i'll need it to work regardless, so even if it doesn't fix it, i'll need it. Appreciate the insight.

1 week later
#8 6 years ago

For what it's worth, I bought a new Rottendog power supply and display boards. Got everything installed and set up. Turn the machine on, voila ... full displays, machine is in game over mode (Lights flashing, high score rotating on the upper left display) BUT ... a random 38 on the upper right slave display. No big deal I think, and run the light test (Passed) and solenoid test (Also passed). Set the max credits to 0 for free play, reboot the machine with the door shut ... and nothing. Lights are on solid, no displays, nothing else. Fuses seem to be working.

I let it sit for about an hour and cursed solid states in general. Came back, turned it on, and booted back to game over/attract mode. Now ... the tilt buzzer beeps once every 5-10 seconds. Can still run the solenoid/light/display test, but upon the 2nd reboot, back to the no display issue.

It's probably something obvious that a new SS guy like me is missing, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

#10 6 years ago

38 is not there during the display test.

The LED's on the MPU are not on from what I recall, when the machine is in what i'm calling the "Lights solid, no display" mode, but i'll double-check tonight.

It's the random chirping of the tilt buzzer that's confounding me as well.

I really appreciate your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mike21878.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lucky-seven-master-display-help?tu=mike21878 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.