Lucky Hand Series relay (resized).jpg
6BCB058D-D40F-47DD-AF06-1DF2C2144132 (resized).jpeg
C6BC6B1F-4704-4ED8-8D51-6278EEDF14A4 (resized).jpeg
Slam Switch (resized).jpg
20E1F9C1-0A9D-4137-9F28-CF177E5231D5 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
7E140CDE-AD26-4555-AFD4-54B214B90B75 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Game worked flawlessly before I broke it down and brought it home. Game now seems to be in constant restart. Game meter increases after every restart. S relay, X relay and AX relay are constantly being pulled in after each restart. What could be causing this? If I remove the jones plug for the coin door while all this is going on, everything stops but game will not play (Tilt).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 1 year ago

Lucky Hand or Bank a Ball?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from hjh632:

Lucky Hand or Bank a Ball?

It’s Lucky Hand, Bank a Ball was another problem awhile back.

#4 1 year ago

The reason it's in tilt when you pull the coin door connector is because you're effectively opening the NC slam switch on the coin door. Look at the wire colors going to the switch, and jumper them at female connector on the tilt panel. Then power on the game, and if it doesn't spontaneously restart, the issue is somewhere on the coin door or the harness going to it. Could be that the coin switch is stuck closed.

#5 1 year ago

Was able to do that, can manually get the game to start somewhat normally by pressing down the start relay and the AX relay. Now 500 point relay causes motor
to run constantly.
I don’t think I’ll be playing that game tonight. Bummer!

7E140CDE-AD26-4555-AFD4-54B214B90B75 (resized).jpeg7E140CDE-AD26-4555-AFD4-54B214B90B75 (resized).jpeg
#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

500 point relay causes motor
to run constantly

This switch on motor 2B should make the 500 Point (D) relay relax.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

This switch on motor 2B should make the 500 Point (D) relay relax.
[quoted image]

Which targets triggers the 500 point relay? 2B motor and D relay seem to be adjusted right.

#8 1 year ago

Was able to get game running by disabling 500 point relay (paper between the contacts). So my issues are now in the coin door and that 500 relay. Progress has been made and was able to play game. Learned a lot too. Thanks guys!

#9 1 year ago

Does this Gottlieb have the “always closed” slam switch in the cabinet?

Check it’s making good contact.

rd

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Does this Gottlieb have the “always closed” slam switch in the cabinet?
Check it’s making good contact.
rd

It’s normally closed, cleaned it.

20E1F9C1-0A9D-4137-9F28-CF177E5231D5 (resized).jpeg20E1F9C1-0A9D-4137-9F28-CF177E5231D5 (resized).jpeg
#11 1 year ago

Jet Spin was giving me fits so I clipped it together. Could have tighten the hell out of it but I though a clip would do. Never happened again.

Slam Switch (resized).jpgSlam Switch (resized).jpg
#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

It’s normally closed, cleaned it.

In the cabinet. Not the door.

The game has a bunch of tilt switches.

rd

#13 1 year ago

I have a Lucky Hand, all the rollovers score 500 pts. Perhaps when you moved the game one of those switches got misaligned and is stuck closed?

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Peruman:I have a Lucky Hand, all the rollovers score 500 pts. Perhaps when you moved the game one of those switches got misaligned and is stuck closed?

Thanks, I’ll check on that tomorrow.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

In the cabinet. Not the door.
The game has a bunch of tilt switches.
rd

Those switches wouldn't cause the game to get stuck in a reset cycle, or cause the 500 point relay to stay energized. He needed to jumper the one from the coin door, because he was trying to test the game with the door connector unplugged.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

Jet Spin was giving me fits so I clipped it together. Could have tighten the hell out of it but I though a clip would do. Never happened again.
[quoted image]

A better permanent solution would be to unsolder one of the wires and resolder it to the other tab so that both wires are soldered together.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Those switches wouldn't cause the game to get stuck in a reset cycle, or cause the 500 point relay to stay energized. He needed to jumper the one from the coin door, because he was trying to test the game with the door connector unplugged.

Fluke meter battery is dead. Was gonna use it to ohm coin door. Guess that will have to wait as I’m not going back out today.
Thanks for your help last night.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

A better permanent solution would be to unsolder one of the wires and resolder it to the other tab so that both wires are soldered together.

Maybe better for some. not for me. I want to easily remove it when I sell it. (Someday a long time from now.)

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Those switches wouldn't cause the game to get stuck in a reset cycle,

Misread the issue as “turning on and off”

I’ve been caught out by those switches after moving an EM.

rd

1 week later
#20 1 year ago

Touch the red and yellow alligator clips and the game starts up and plays fine. Start button ohms out working to Jones plug.
Like I mentioned, game worked fine until broken down and moved.
So, is the problem in the coin door or is there something else going on here?

C6BC6B1F-4704-4ED8-8D51-6278EEDF14A4 (resized).jpegC6BC6B1F-4704-4ED8-8D51-6278EEDF14A4 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#21 11 months ago

Pinhead52 was able to diagnose my initial problem. It was a coin stuck in the coin switch!

New problem on Lucky Hand. Top rollovers don’t turn off after 5000 points when lit. Just continues to award 5000 when the ball passes through. Happens on all four. Function worked last weekend.
6BCB058D-D40F-47DD-AF06-1DF2C2144132 (resized).jpeg6BCB058D-D40F-47DD-AF06-1DF2C2144132 (resized).jpeg

#22 11 months ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Top rollovers don’t turn off after 5000 points when lit.

The top rollover lights are controlled by the trip relays in the Sequence Bank. It sounds like they're not tripping:
Lucky Hand Series relay (resized).jpgLucky Hand Series relay (resized).jpg
When any of the top rollover switches close for the first time the corresponding trip relay (1B, 2B, 3B, or 4B) should trip and the Z/Series relay should fire. If that's not happening I'd check that the Series relay coil is the correct part number (A-9746). Also check the Series relay coil wiring (slate-yellow and black wires) and the connections to the four trip relay coils through the slate-yellow wire.

/Mark

#23 11 months ago

The Z relay appears to be working fine. When the ball goes through either of rollovers, it awards 5000 points and the card light remains lit. Shouldn’t be lit and should award only 500 points the next time the ball goes through it.

#24 11 months ago

Are the trip relays tripping? Sounds like they're not. Are they trying to? They could either be mechanically bound somehow, or you could have the wrong coil in the Series relay which could starve the trip relays of enough voltage to trip.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lucky-hand-constantly-restarts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.