(Topic ID: 126129)

Lowering playfield, have to slam it in place...help!

By Jeff_PHX_AZ

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Stern Metallica premium, its been like this since owning it (July 2014). I dred having to lift it, cuz its a battle to get it back into place. The two hooks on the playfield don't line up with the slots on the cabinet if I normally and gently lower playfield it don't line up, about 1/8th of an inch off, instead I have to literately slam the damn playfield in so it fits into place. I feel like something is gonna break/come loose cuz of this. Any ideas on what I'am doing wrong, or an easy adjustment of any kind? Its real frustrating. Thanks

#2 9 years ago

Well I'm not sure if this is what your talking about but it is possible. With Sterns once you get the playfield pushed down to a certain point you need to put a little downward pressure on the service legs and push forward so the playfield will go into place. That is not abnormal. Of course you can just shove it in but usually less banging around to do it the way I described above.

Please see attached video to see what I am talking about:

#3 9 years ago

Could you not sand (file) down one of the outside edges 1/8 "? Or just enough to make it slide into place a little easier.

#4 9 years ago

I have seen this before, and tried that technique, but it dont work for my machine. Damn playfield almost fell off it track when I tried this. I reach around and lift it up over that bump.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I have seen this before, and tried that technique, but it dont work for my machine. Damn playfield almost fell off it track when I tried this. I reach around and lift it up over that bump.

When you tried did you push down on both sides evenly and push in? If you are doing this properly and it is falling to bottom then there may be an issue with the cabinet. Is there anyway you can have someone local that knows how to do put down Stern PFs well come and give it a try?

The reason I ask is the first time I tried to put down a Stern playfield I had serious difficulties and nearly had the PF off the rails. Once I learned how to do it properly I haven't had any issues since.

#7 9 years ago

"You have to" Slam the PF backwards over the hump, or down so it fits all the way down?
Because slamming it backwards over the lip is normal.

#9 9 years ago

No not bent

Quoted from ForceFlow:Is the receiver bent?

Quoted from TheLaw:

"You have to" Slam the PF backwards over the hump, or down so it fits all the way down?
Because slamming it backwards over the lip is normal.

I'am talking about the two hooks going into the slots on the cabinet where lock down bar goes over it. It don't line up with the slots for hooks unless I slam it hard then it in, but only with force will it go in. When it hits the last bump, I reach around and lift it from the back, then procede to put it in place.

#10 9 years ago

So you have to slam it hard downward to get the playfield to seat properly in the receiver; got it.

#11 9 years ago

How many times have you lifted the playfield? My ST was pretty tight in the beginning and got easier after a while. Never had to slam it, though. I hold it by the center of the apron, pull it up and push it down into place. One suggestion is to bend the hook out a little.

#12 9 years ago

Is your machine level? This usually happens when the machine is severely unlevel...

1 week later
#13 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

How many times have you lifted the playfield? My ST was pretty tight in the beginning and got easier after a while. Never had to slam it, though. I hold it by the center of the apron, pull it up and push it down into place. One suggestion is to bend the hook out a little.

Lift it when needed. Just was trying what you all suggested, and it just not working right, damn there almost dumped it in the cabinet again. took a small chunk of wood out the back end from the playfield hitting it. If I do what the video above shows, that's when I almost dumped the playfield into the cabinet. I came off the rails, and it took everything I had to hold it from going into the cabinet. I'am used to Williams, this is new to me. I like Stern, but there clunky, bumpy playfield lowering design is not real user friendly. I know I'am doing something wrong, but just don't know what. Like I said, I tried what has been explained, but having no luck. Thanks for everyones suggestions, I do appreciate the help. Gotta get this figured out. Jeff

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
NinjaCamp Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 29.95
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,000 (OBO)
$ 12.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.