(Topic ID: 280501)

Lowering Overall WPC Volume

By radial_head

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3HYFv (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

Hi all,

I'm running into a bit of an issue with my landlord who complains about the WPC "DING" being too loud upon startup of the game. Curious if anybody has successfully found a way to lower the overall output volume from the amplifier of the DCS board and how it went.

I've been considering putting a an inline 10watt (or lower if possible) resistor on the speakers as shown (replace V1 with the speaker output molex connectors J1 and J2) but my electrical theory isn't good enough to tell if this will be putting too much load/stress on the amplifier and blow/burn something up. Obviously this method would probably dissipate quite a bit of head but I'm figuring that that backbox is hot enough it seems like it wouldn't be that detrimental to the components inside.

On my Data East games, I ended up just installing a new 10turn pot and placing a 220k 1 watt inline resistor with the sweep lug of the pot which allowed me to dial in very low volumes, but obviously I can't change something like that on the volume adjustment with the DCS system.

Thoughts?

3HYFv (resized).png3HYFv (resized).png

#2 3 years ago

Seriously? Does your landlord have his ear against the wall listening to what your up to? I think you need to find a new place and tell him to get bent!

#3 3 years ago

Install a headphone jack?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballsoul:

Install a headphone jack?

Interesting thought! Curious if I could design a normal switched headphone jack that mutes the output when the headphones are in. The real issue is that the ding is uncontrollable by the volume control.

Quoted from mollyspub:

Does your landlord have his ear against the wall listening to what your up to? I think you need to find a new place and tell him to get bent!

Her reading chair is directly below the game. I’ve put sound isolation underneath the game to try to dampen it (making nudges very hard) but the ding still sends a text my way.

#5 3 years ago

Reduce the power to the speaker 50%, drop sound 3db. At some point the noise of the mechanical parts will be louder. The "ding" being a problem rather than the low Hz sound seems unusual. The only complaint I get is when Earthshaker kicks in and wakes up the wife.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Sputnik:

Reduce the power to the speaker 50%, drop sound 3db.

Any idea how to achieve this? Again, the DING doesnt correspond to the volume level you set.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Any idea how to achieve this? Again, the DING doesnt correspond to the volume level you set.

U r being way too nice as a neighbor. Church bells and honking horns have been deemed acceptable levels by the US Supreme Court, so if I were you, I would not worry about a fix.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from eyeamred2u:

U r being way too nice as a neighbor. Church bells and honking horns have been deemed acceptable levels by the US Supreme Court, so if I were you, I would not worry about a fix.

Probably true, but she also lets me bring pins up and down the stairs so I try to be as kind as possible.

#9 3 years ago

DCS uses two TDA2030A amplifiers: one drives the backbox speakers which are wired in parallel, and one drives the cab speaker.

Probably the easiest thing to do is wire the backbox in series instead of parallel (might want to remove the high-pass capacitor at the tweeter if it has one) and add your 10W resistor in series at the cabinet speaker.

You can also add an L-Pad to the series-wired backbox speakers for variable control.

#10 3 years ago

Disconnect one wire from the cabinet speaker. Wire in a switch that you can access inside the coin door. Wire from the wire to the lug on the speaker. Open coin door, open the switch, turn on game and wait for it to boot, close switch, close coin door, open beer.

#11 3 years ago

True, maybe just the cab speaker is the culprit as it's firing down at her.

Maybe just an L-Pad at the cab speaker, so you can tune it until she doesn't complain and then you can just leave it at that setting.

#12 3 years ago

A time delay relay in line with the speakers could be automatic and cheap to add. Is it safe to make the speaker connections while the amp is already powered on?

#13 3 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for the helpful suggestions, confirmations, and tech/beer info! Greatly appreciated.

You know, I never thought to even look if the speakers were wired in series or parallel because I assumed there would be in stereo, but voila, there they are. So in theory I could just re-wire the main speakers in series (edit, typo), clip the cap, wire a 2-Watt (follow that number) dual gang potentiometer that would control both the cabinet speakers as an L-pad attenuator and set it just right? HighVoltage do you know about how much wattage those games put out (not that I would ever be pumping the game) so in theory would a 2 Watt Dual Gang 100k Pot do the trick?

I like the switch off idea. I don't think it would damage the board of the speaker...

#14 3 years ago

It's difficult to follow your description: there's two backbox speakers and one cabinet speaker. Don't know what you mean by "re-wire the main speakers in stereo".

Those amps can put out way more than 2 watts. You should use 15-watt L-Pad.

If you change the backbox to series, you don't want a stereo L-Pad to control cabinet and backbox together (I think that's what you meant?) because the balance will be messed up.

For your particular case, just an L-pad or resistor at the cab might suffice. You could change the backbox to series which would reduce its relative volume if you want too.

If you don't want to change the wiring, you could use a stereo L-Pad for the backbox and a mono for the Cabinet speaker and have full volume and balance control.

Most people who customize the audio on DCS put coaxial speakers in the backbox in series, controlled by an L-Pad and leave the cab circuit alone (or add low-pass filter). This way you can use the L-pad for balance control and digital control for volume. The most common purpose is to use the L-pad to tone down the backbox so you can up the digital volume to get more bass from the cab speaker. Since you probably want the opposite, makes more sense to put the L-pad at the cab speaker to tone it down relative to backbox.

#15 3 years ago

The initial ding?? Do you have like 20 of them packed up there? I don’t know how one would notice a single bong when turning on the game. My WPC game actually has the quietest bong between all my games. Though I do know some of them can be louder.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Interesting thought! Curious if I could design a normal switched headphone jack that mutes the output when the headphones are in. The real issue is that the ding is uncontrollable by the volume control.

Her reading chair is directly below the game. I’ve put sound isolation underneath the game to try to dampen it (making nudges very hard) but the ding still sends a text my way.

Just like a CB radio.
    Please send 10 dollars to me for the idea.

#17 3 years ago

He complains about the "ding" but not the game itself? I would tell him/her/it to go pound sand. Hell, the speaker 'pop' should be louder than that.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

True, maybe just the cab speaker is the culprit as it's firing down at her.

You can always place a piece of foam padding, a cat/dog bed, or a few empty boxes on the floor under the game if you think this the issue.

#19 3 years ago

To be fair, the one time she complained was because I had to turn the game on and off approximately 10,000 times in a short period of time

Quoted from HighVoltage:

It's difficult to follow your description: there's two backbox speakers and one cabinet speaker. Don't know what you mean by "re-wire the main speakers in stereo".

Sorry for that typo, I meant series. Corrected in my post. HighVoltage you've been a huge help and a great resource for information on this board. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

7 months later
    #20 2 years ago

I would like to close the gap here by saying that I ultimately fixed this issue by moving.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lowering-overall-wpc-volume?hl=radial_head and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.