(Topic ID: 305728)

Lower Playfields Love them or Hate them?

By BSavage

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you love or hate lower playfields?”

• I love them! 37 votes
      59%
    • I hate them! 26 votes
      41%

(63 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 Elektra lowest PF removed (resized).JPG
    2 Elektra lowest PF removed (resized).JPG
    5d3e46bcbaec8ec831848008a18ec3580d55ef61 (resized).jpg
    Tinker toy (resized).jpeg
    e5549a814cadf418ab5c90d5eb986326e5133db0 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

So, do you love playing machines with lower playfields or hate them? Also, what's the best one and worst one?

#2 2 years ago

Black hole has one of the best since it’s big, has lots going on, and is flipped. Also the path the ball takes to get down there with the spiral and the long tube back out are really cool.

#7 2 years ago

Just hate them.. don’t ask me why, because I don’t have any good reason other then that for me it’s not something that belongs on a pinball. Played on one machine that has it and just hated it.

Same with the LCD screens.. I prefer the dot matrix displays .. I think games with those LCD screens won’t age well.

Anyway, no offense to anyone. Just putting my personal opinion in

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vin-bot:

Just hate them.. don’t ask me why, because I don’t have any good reason other then that for me it’s not something that belongs on a pinball. Played on one machine that has it and just hated it.
    Same with the LCD screens.. I prefer the dot matrix displays .. I think games with those LCD screens won’t age well.
    Anyway, no offense to anyone. Just putting my personal opinion in

You must be really opinionated saying it 5 times

#9 2 years ago

I like them. Congo's could be a bit harder but it's still ok. The Big Lebowski bowling area is really good. Never played a Haunted house but the lower pf looks fun. ACDC one is decent. I feel these lower playfields add some extra fun factor to their games.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I like them. Congo's could be a bit harder but it's still ok. The Big Lebowski bowling area is really good. Never played a Haunted house but the lower pf looks fun. ACDC one is decent. I feel these lower playfields add some extra fun factor to their games.

The Fight Club pin being built here on pinside is going to have the first lower playfield I actually want to see

#11 2 years ago

The only one with a lower playfield I've played is Munsters. I thought it was fun and fit the theme well.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Black hole has one of the best since it’s big, has lots going on, and is flipped. Also the path the ball takes to get down there with the spiral and the long tube back out are really cool.

e5549a814cadf418ab5c90d5eb986326e5133db0 (resized).jpge5549a814cadf418ab5c90d5eb986326e5133db0 (resized).jpg
    #13 2 years ago

The one in haunted house is devious. Love them

#14 2 years ago

They always seem fun...the first time. The third time in five minutes though is a different story. "Great, let me stop playing this awesome pin and start playing this child's tiny pin...again". Munsters is an excellent example.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

They always seem fun...the first time. The third time in five minutes though is a different story. "Great, let me stop playing this awesome pin and start playing this child's tiny pin...again". Munsters is an excellent example.

id be more concerned about calling munsters an excellent pin.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

No comparison between a Munsters lower playfield and Black Hole. Black Hole the ball actually travels there and back (and you can lose it, no guarantee of return) BH has 2 drop target assemblies, 2 poppers, a sling shot, a kicker, a ball lock and an orbit shot. Black Hole is also a somewhat difficult to get down there as well. Munsters does have a mini ramp and wireform which is pretty cool compared to AC/DC.

Why the hell even have a lower playfield on AC/DC? It looks barren.

#17 2 years ago

Other than Haunted House and Black Hole… no thanks.

#18 2 years ago

Love Elektras lower playfield. Kind of a bonus for building up Elektra points. Can be adjusted to drain on a timer or keep playing until you drain.

#19 2 years ago

ACDC’s lower playfield takes a lot of heat but I think it’s one of the better ones with good theme integration, multiple objectives, score potential/balance and most importantly flipper skills.

Munsters on the other hand is a novelty that gets old quick IMO. Reminds me of playing one of these things as a kid:

Tinker toy (resized).jpegTinker toy (resized).jpeg

#20 2 years ago

Depends. AC/DC was meh ok but Munsters was horrible. Generally not a fan

#21 2 years ago

Something different on a game that is well done can be fun ... would I want a gameroom full ?... no

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

ACDC’s lower playfield takes a lot of heat but I think it’s one of the better ones with good heme integration, multiple objectives, score potential/balance and most importantly flipper skills.
    Munsters on the other hand is a novelty that gets old quick IMO. Reminds me of playing one of these things as a kid:
    [quoted image]

Perfectly said imo. Munsters lower playfield is creative but it doesn't feel like real pinball with those tiny little pebbles.

AC/DC has an OK one but I still find it annoying. I often choose songs that don't use the lower playfield so I can avoid it.

Black Hole's is pretty awesome. I actually enjoy when the ball is down there. If more games made one like Black Hole I'd probably enjoy them more.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Congo actually does get difficult after a while and pretty fun. But agreed, the first few rounds are way too easy. At least it's pretty quick to complete win or lose.

#24 2 years ago

Escape from the Lost World is the worst because it doesn’t do anything.

#25 2 years ago

My opinion varies from table to table. For Munsters, it’s something I miss when I flip on a Pro vs Premium. Black Hole is in a class of it’s own, it’s awesome. AC/DC if given a take it or leave it choice….I’d probably leave it.

#26 2 years ago

Black Hole has the best one, in my opinion. It is a challenge to play and very well integrated into gameplay.
    At first, it keeps you on your toes: you want to finish one of those drop target banks just to be safe. After that, you want to shoot for the ball lock and points. And if you have succeeded there, you want to get a high bonus multiplier during the rest of your game.

I remember enjoying Elektra's as well, also for its integration into the game. And it flows well.

Haunted House: beautiful, but very meh gameplay-wise. Just like the rest of the game. Not my thing.

Congo is ok. It's too easy if the monkey is balanced well and too hard if it's not.

AC/DC? Don't like it.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Escape from the Lost World is the worst because it doesn’t do anything.

This game just sucks in all areas except for looks, imho.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

Haunted House: beautiful, but very meh gameplay-wise. Just like the rest of the game. Not my thing.

Had a HH- The problem with the lower level is it is too easy to get there for one. You have three different paths you can take! It would have been better if they did away with the center entrance at least. The trap door was clever and something you would expect to have in a haunted house.

Heaviest pin I ever moved.

5d3e46bcbaec8ec831848008a18ec3580d55ef61 (resized).jpg5d3e46bcbaec8ec831848008a18ec3580d55ef61 (resized).jpg
    #29 2 years ago

Bump! VOTE! Not enough responses yet!

#30 2 years ago

The only thing I don’t like about lowers is that they are like potholes in playfields. Some games excluded

#31 2 years ago

I would say no. They aren’t interactive enough with the overall game play. Black Hole is the exception. It actually is main part of the game. I haven’t tried Big Lewbowski, although it looks great.

#32 2 years ago

You should add to your poll, ‘indifferent’. They don’t make or break a game for me….

#33 2 years ago

more votes please!

#34 2 years ago

Elektra's lower playfield is fast and fun!

The main playfield is entirely covered by thick, clear plexiglass, separating it from the lower playfield. This protects the main playfield artwork and precludes any chance of lower window potholing...unique and awesome factory design!

[Currently, the lower playfield is out of my Elektra to do some paint touch up but have discovered I can still play the game on just the main and upper playfields. Quite a different and cool challenge as you try not to get Elektra points and avoid activating the lower playfield. Stay under 10 Elektra points and you can finish as normal, exceed that and it's game over!]

Love that backglass!

1 Elektra lowest PF removed (resized).JPG1 Elektra lowest PF removed (resized).JPG2 Elektra lowest PF removed (resized).JPG2 Elektra lowest PF removed (resized).JPG
    #35 2 years ago

I'll te you why BH/HH are the best, because for some reason LP are often symmetrical which is boring.

#36 2 years ago

Please take 2 seconds and vote! Want to see what people really thing. I know I should have put an indifferent but I can't seem to edit the poll.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from BSavage:

Please take 2 seconds and vote! Want to see what people really thing. I know I should have put an indifferent but I can't seem to edit the poll.

Sorry I'm not picking a side here.

#38 2 years ago

They can be cool, but my biggest beef is when they get all foggy and you can't see anything down below. I've played AC/DC and Congo that have had this problem. I've yet to play a BH or HH in person, but just based on Pinarcade, I would go with BH for best lower playfield.

#39 2 years ago

I think for a pin on location the more the better, so pretty cool. In your personal collection maybe not so much. Before I owned TOM i thought it was one of the best pins, After month of owning it. The horrible ball drop entry, and hit the crate, hit the crate. I was never so glad to see a pin go. The upper and lower play fields might not be so cool.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lower-playfields-love-them-or-hate-them and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.