325B83B2-8D0E-45AA-9AB5-4AE53D84FACF (resized).jpeg
CC1FCD9D-2F33-449D-866B-E0DDCC448803 (resized).jpeg
FE96DC0A-E466-4D21-8179-209F2D2E5998 (resized).jpeg
100818D8-AB65-4D01-B6AE-B4D426DEE468 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I couldn't figure out why my back glass always seemed darker than the photos I had seen. Sure enough when I played with the back glass off, the lower half of the back box lights don't come on. Flashers work and top half are fine. I started looking at the manual, does anyone know if this sounds like a fuse issue? thats what I was starting to think from first glance..

#2 5 years ago

I'd imagine it's bad GI pin on your board. Take a look at the GI plug and see if anything is crispy and burnt. You csn also look in the manual and see which pin provides power to those bulbs. Very very common issue

#3 5 years ago

If that’s the case, it means resolder the pin on the board?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

If that’s the case, it means resolder the pin on the board?

Check fuses first.

If GI connector is burned, you need a new connector and pins on the board.

LTG : )

#5 5 years ago

These are the correct fuses.. I believe if I am reading manual correctly
(Yes one is out for testing)

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago

What game ?

What is the orange wire nut mess ?

#7 5 years ago

#8 5 years ago

It’s black knight 2k

#9 5 years ago

Are the yellow wires not supposed to be there?

#10 5 years ago

It looks like the yellow wires go down to the playfield and not to the back box loghts

#11 5 years ago

They may not be causing your issue, but someone apparently didn't know how to solder and used those orange twist connectors in a repair attempt.

#12 5 years ago

Sure so someone already re pinned, or at least reconnectored (sp) one area.

#13 5 years ago

That connector with the yellow wires does look allot newer.
I check all 4 fuses there and they are good
I believe the j7 connector feeds the back box illu from tracing the wires. And I think it’s white/green and solid green that goto the lower half. There is continuity.

#14 5 years ago

That’s the pattern I get.
I guess it has it be either the pin on the board for white/grn or green wire.
Is that a fair assumption if the 4 fuses checks out and there is continuity

#15 5 years ago

So test that pin for juice, or If you have some alligator clips hook the working GI pin to the lower string and see if they light

#16 5 years ago

Ok. I can def check for voltage on the two pins for the lower half.
I can’t visualize the alligator clips
Remove the connector, and clip to the upper half pins and touch to wear the lower string starts?
I will start again tomorrw. Work gets in the way again...

Thanks

#17 5 years ago

Is there a relay on the back side of the insert board so the game can flash the GI strings? If so remove the relay and look for cracked header pins on the back of the relay board.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#18 5 years ago

I saw that board where you described. . I didn’t see that the lower wires were going to/from it so I didn’t investigate. That’s an easy one to get off and look at
Thanks

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Is there a relay on the back side of the insert board so the game can flash the GI strings? If so remove the relay and look for cracked header pins on the back of the relay board.[quoted image]

I was going to say to check this out. Just looked at a game for a buddy with the same problem. The pins and connector on his were burnt to a crisp. I just repinned it and a new connector and it took care of it.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I can’t visualize the alligator clips

Helps if you have clip one side and point on the other. Take connector off, clip one side to a working pin (the upper GI), then stick the other end into the lower GI connector.
Or other end to the beginning of the GI string.

#21 5 years ago

Ok I got the little board off. This can’t be right how it looks. The pins look good but that jumper wire? And fried diode..
I’d happily just buy new board if it looks like best solution

100818D8-AB65-4D01-B6AE-B4D426DEE468 (resized).jpeg100818D8-AB65-4D01-B6AE-B4D426DEE468 (resized).jpegFE96DC0A-E466-4D21-8179-209F2D2E5998 (resized).jpegFE96DC0A-E466-4D21-8179-209F2D2E5998 (resized).jpeg
#22 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

And fried diode..

Looks like a zero ohm resistor, like the one next to it. They are jumpers that a machine can put in because a machine can't grab wire.

#23 5 years ago

Would that be the cause of no lower lights on back box ?

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

If that jumper is underneath across it's two leads, no.

#25 5 years ago

Shoot. Was hopeful that was gonna be the fix
Ty

#26 5 years ago

I have an IJ Williams and I've been having the same issue. Lower back box lights are all out. I just replaced my Power Driver board last week with a brand spanking new Rottendog Power Driver board and the same issue still exists. Obviously the board is perfect and the connector appears to be good too.

Now I'm thinking there must be a short in the wires that lead to the lower back box lights from the Power Driver board. I'm gonna move some pins around on the connector to check and see if I can get the lower lights to operate. If that doesn't work then I'm going to rewire the lower back box lights.

I thought the new board would have fixed this but I was wrong.

QSS

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Is there another relay under the playfield you could swap into the backbox to rule that out?

#28 5 years ago

I will look for another relay, or honestly If I can find one to buy I'd do that. The hacked one I have will bug me even if it is'nt the issue

#29 5 years ago

Has anyone seen those relay boards in stock? seems like they are sold out everywhere

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I will look for another relay, or honestly If I can find one to buy I'd do that. The hacked one I have will bug me even if it is'nt the issue

Assuming it works, I wouldn't sweat it, I have seen a lot of those need repinned and/or with a jumper, not uncommon really at least in my experience. I was missing one from a Taxi entirely and bought it from @knazzo on here - great seller.

#31 5 years ago

Get yourself two sets of alligator clips and a 9v battery. With game off, hook the clips to the battery terminals, hook the other two ends of the clips to the first socket on the string. Do the lights light? If they dont, reverse the clips on the light socket, do they light now? If they do, your issue is before the lights, if they don’t, you have a short or break in the string somewhere along the sockets.

#32 5 years ago

yes.. amazon should be delivering the allig clips today, thats my next step..then power check to the pins. thanks.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Obviously the board is perfect

HaHa. Too funny. Yup new stuff never fails prematurely or arrives bad.

the connector appears to be good too.

Have you checked anything ?

Grab a meter. AC getting to driver board ? AC getting off board to bulb sockets ? Try and find where it stops and the fix gets easier.

Could be burned transformer connector, a break for power to board, board, or if power leaving board then check for breaks in wiring to sockets, sockets, bubls good ?

Narrow down your search. You'll be glad you did.

#34 5 years ago

Ok. I got the lower group to light up with a 9v battery. So the string is good

I tested the pins on the board. The four left pins 7-10 control the upper half and lower half. Pins 10,8,7 all get same voltage Pin 9 is 1/10 the amount. Pin 9 also is one of the wires that goes to the lower group. Does that point to bad pin ?
Thanks

325B83B2-8D0E-45AA-9AB5-4AE53D84FACF (resized).jpeg325B83B2-8D0E-45AA-9AB5-4AE53D84FACF (resized).jpegCC1FCD9D-2F33-449D-866B-E0DDCC448803 (resized).jpegCC1FCD9D-2F33-449D-866B-E0DDCC448803 (resized).jpeg
#35 5 years ago

Have a look at the GI lights that are out. There will be a colour coded wire that connects at one point that feeds all of them. Then look on the above connector at the PSU to see which pin that colour connects to. Re-Solder the pin and make sure the wire is properly seated/connected on the connector. Should solve it.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Grab a meter. AC getting to driver board ? AC getting off board to bulb sockets ? Try and find where it stops and the fix gets easier.
Could be burned transformer connector, a break for power to board, board, or if power leaving board then check for breaks in wiring to sockets, sockets, bubls good ?

Will get on that this weekend. Dragging my meter out and doing 2 minutes of diagnostics really cuts into my "lazy ass" time.

QSS

#37 5 years ago

is there any way for me test the dead pin theory before pulling the board and resoldering? Is there a way to temporarily give power to the wire where I suspect the dead pin is, at the connector, and see if the lights come on? I would think that would confirm that the pin for that wire is not getting any power, and that having juice gets everything working

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

is there any way for me test the dead pin theory before pulling the board and resoldering? Is there a way to temporarily give power to the wire where I suspect the dead pin is, at the connector, and see if the lights come on? I would think that would confirm that the pin for that wire is not getting any power, and that having juice gets everything working

The problem with GI voltage on those interconnect boards is almost ALWAYS in THIS order:
-A connector pin in the harness -->check for continuity with meter-
-A pin on the PCB board -->check for continuity with meter-
-A trace on the TOP of the board is broken between the PIN and the trace (the PARTS side) -->check for continuity with meter
-A trace on the BOTTOM of the board (solder side)

You can determine where the break in current flow is with the everything still in the game.

To check for continuity between pins and traces, you will want to scratch away some of the green on the top of the board to get to the traces.

#39 5 years ago

ok I did check the connector pin in harness and it was good. I assumed when the voltage on the one pin was so low that it meant the pin was not connected right. I will check continuity on the other spots before going forward
thanks

#40 5 years ago

If you suspect it might be a connector issue, you can do the 9v battery test with it or test for continuity with a meter. Game off, Insert a wire into the connector for the correct pin, use you alligator clips and clip one end to the other end of the jumper wire and other clip gets connected to the game’s ground braid. If the lights come on with the battery, your connector and wiring are good and you now know you have a board issue.

#41 5 years ago

Ok so I used a 9v battery and tested the molex I couldn’t get anything to work sticking awire into the pin hole but when I touched the wire to the back of molex ( the rectangle open areas) I was able to get all the lights to work. Does this confirm a bad pin?

#42 5 years ago

Yes. Repin that whole connector. Also, what is that bare copper wire?!?!

#43 5 years ago

Hah. That bare wire was one of my test wires I was using with the battery.. and to
Confirm you mean repin the board not the molex since that works..?

#44 5 years ago

Wait you said you got it to work when you tapped the back of the connector and not the hole?

#45 5 years ago

I got it to work when I disconnected the connector then used a 9v with two wires and connected/touched it to the molex itself where the wire for the power for Lower string is inside

#46 5 years ago

Ah, sorry I misread. Pull the driver board and start tracing for continuity. Something is broken somewhere. You proved it’s not wiring.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Ok LLoyd, I took your advice. Please read below regarding my situation and maybe it will help the original poster as well.

I have an Indiana Jones Williams. I just replace the original Power Driver Board as well as the Fliptronics Board with New Rotten Dog Boards.

With the new Rottendog Power Drive Board everything works on the game except the lower back box lights. Strange thing is, on my old original Power Driver board the lower back box lights also did not work.

Here's what I have done to try and locate the issue:
- I have confirm the lower backbox string of lights is working via a 9 volt battery test. All lights light up so we know it's not an issue with the string of lights.
- I have confirmed that there is power coming in through J115 at the #5 pin and the #10 pin. I have metered the back of the J115 connector as well as on the front of the J115 connector and I have power on both the front and rear of the connector.
- I have confirmed the F107 fuse is good which feeds the J120-5 and J120-10 pins.

There is no power coming from J120-5 and J120-10 (Green String). There is power to all other strings on J120 and J121. The Yellow, Orange, Brown and Violet strings all have power and all strings work as expected.

The only thing I can think of is there is an issue with the Q16 on the new Rottendog Board. How do I actually test Q16 to see it the problem is truely there?

What I find very odd is that the same issue existed on my old original board. How could you have the same issue on two boards made 25 years apart?

Could there be an issue with the power coming off the transformer somehow overloading only Q16 and causing it to fail or is this just a case of unusual coincidence?

Any additional help would be appreciated. Thanks.

QSS

#48 5 years ago

Ok LLoyd, I took your advice. Please read below regarding my situation and maybe it will help the original poster as well.
I have an Indiana Jones Williams. I just replace the original Power Driver Board as well as the Fliptronics Board with New Rotten Dog Boards.
With the new Rottendog Power Drive Board everything works on the game except the lower back box lights. Strange thing is, on my old original Power Driver board the lower back box lights also did not work.
Here's what I have done to try and locate the issue:
- I have confirm the lower backbox string of lights is working via a 9 volt battery test. All lights light up so we know it's not an issue with the string of lights.
- I have confirmed that there is power coming in through J115 at the #5 pin and the #10 pin. I have metered the back of the J115 connector as well as on the front of the J115 connector and I have power on both the front and rear of the connector.
- I have confirmed the F107 fuse is good which feeds the J120-5 and J120-10 pins.
There is no power coming from J120-5 and J120-10 (Green String). There is power to all other strings on J120 and J121. The Yellow, Orange, Brown and Violet strings all have power and all strings work as expected.
The only thing I can think of is there is an issue with the Q16 on the new Rottendog Board. How do I actually test Q16 to see it the problem is truely there?
What I find very odd is that the same issue existed on my old original board. How could you have the same issue on two boards made 25 years apart?
Could there be an issue with the power coming off the transformer somehow overloading only Q16 and causing it to fail or is this just a case of unusual coincidence?
Any additional help would be appreciated. Thanks.
QSS

The problem has to be one of the connector pins in the J115 harness right?

QSS

#49 5 years ago

QSS-
My issue ended up being the hack job orange nut mess Lloyd pointed out in one of my early posts. It turns out that was the connector where power was coming into the board, and inside one of the nut caps there was a loose wire, the wire that powered went to the lower half.
One other test I did, not sure if this is what you mean, was with the molex connector on the pins, I used that 9v battery to see if sending power from that start point lit up the lights, and it did. When you said you tested the string I wasn't sure where you tested from. Good luck

#50 5 years ago

The problem has to be one of the connector pins in the J115 harness right?

Sounds like. I'd take a break to clear my mind. Then measure AC power to driver board, and off. See if problem lies before board, on board, or off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,500 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lower-half-back-box-lights-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.