(Topic ID: 191058)

Lower GI Out (nudging J115 comes back on)

By Cserold

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ChrisHibler
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8332 (resized).JPG
2017-06-13_15-42-16 (resized).jpg
IMG_8332 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

Lower playfield GI keeps going out on FT and manually pushing on J115 causes it to come back on then off again. I redid the entire connector using trifurcon terminals. Guessing a bad pin or trace. Anybody have a suggestion on what pin to mess with first or what else I should test. Appear to have continuity from pins to solder joints and no cracked pins or joints obvious.

Thanks guys

#2 1 year ago

Reflow the solder on the pins for j115. Sounds like a cracked cold solder joint.

#3 1 year ago

Is there an unused j connector immediately adjacent to j115 (j116 or j114)? It would be configured exactly the same as j115 with the missing pin in the exact same location. Some b/w games allow use of the adjacent connector. Your fix could be as simple as moving the plug over.

#4 1 year ago

Both of these answers are correct.

But if you still have an issue those ICD connectors stink. You can try to reseat the wires in the plugs by pushing in with a small flat blade screw driver or replacing. See Molex and Trifucon pins.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Both of these answers are correct.
But if you still have an issue those ICD connectors stink. You can try to reseat the wires in the plugs by pushing in with a small flat blade screw driver or replacing. See Molex and Trifucon pins.

Thanks guys. See original post. I already redid connector using trifurcon.

#6 1 year ago

If you wiggle J115 and the lamps work, then it's likely a cracked solder joint on the board.
See: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems

LMK if you need help fixing it. See the "contact" link below.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

If you wiggle J115 and the lamps work, then it's likely a cracked solder joint on the board.
See: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems
LMK if you need help fixing it. See the "contact" link below.

Edit: Should also mention this is a Rottendog board.

Chris, thank you. I just reflowed all solder on the back of the board. Have a Hakko FX-888D. Did every joint on the back and flowed new solder as well. Continuity was good across all pins to back of board. Everything looked solid. I've attached a pic of my J115 connector which it looks like had the wires redone at some point. There are no "looped" wires as the manual states. I just replaced the connector with all trifurcon terminals. Also, I have to push the wires to the right (as shown in pic) to get the lower GI lights to come on. As soon as I relieve pressure they turn off. Should I replace all the pins in the connector on the board? Have a Hakko solder sucker but any help with how to do this would be appreciated. I'm assuming continuity could be established with the multimeter but the pin or solder joint still have an issue that would cause the lower GI to not light, correct?

IMG_8332 (resized).JPG

#8 1 year ago

Looks like the issue is with the green wire. Just tried to redo the trifurcon connector but same issue. Is next step to replace the pin?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Looks like the issue is with the green wire. Just tried to redo the trifurcon connector but same issue. Is next step to replace the pin?

Try and wiggle the wire itself and see if anything happens. I wonder if the wire is broken inside the insulation a bit further up from the trifurcon connector.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Can you narrow it down to a certain wire by wiggling, as opposed to the whole connector? When you repinned the green wire was it frayed at all?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Can you narrow it down to a certain wire by wiggling, as opposed to the whole connector? When you repinned the green wire was it frayed at all?

Hey there. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I narrowed it to the green wire. The wire was not frayed and I've redid the trifurcon terminal twice.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Try and wiggle the wire itself and see if anything happens. I wonder if the wire is broken inside the insulation a bit further up from the trifurcon connector.

I will test this further but pretty sure it only comes back on when the wire is wiggled (aggressively) near the connector which in turn is moving the connector.

#13 1 year ago

The wiring on my J115 (Fish Tales) connector looks nothing like the charts and images here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems. For example, look at my green wire compared to the one in the diagram. Whats up with this?

2017-06-13_15-42-16 (resized).jpg

IMG_8332 (resized).JPG

#14 1 year ago

Problem solved. Was the upper pin (green wire). Removed all solder and then reflowed solder while pushing pin to the right so that it made connection with the board I guess. A temporary solution I'm sure but back in business for now. thanks for all the help.

#15 1 year ago

Good going.
BTW, you GI harness is the newer version, which doesn't "loop" through J115. Instead, that harness doubles the wire at the 9 pin molex connector between that harness and the transformer secondary. It's a much better solution.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.50
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hackettstown, NJ
$ 21.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 4.99
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 28.00
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Celina, TX
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Goffstown, NH
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside