You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FEC0D468-475A-4E20-9F92-0D93AB568100 (resized).jpeg
Skärmklipp (resized).PNG
51BABE54-EE09-4A81-BD0A-40ECAE224B2C (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Hi I just bought a nice Tales from the Crypt. I noticed the other day the sound was very thin, even by DE standards. Sound setting is set to 100% for the music compared to SFX.

When digging further I saw that the cabinet speaker was replaced with the one pictured. It works and sound is coming out. The sound is beefier (subwoofer?) but it's very low. Is there a way to boost its volume?

Was it originally a subwoofer type speaker in the cabinet?

51BABE54-EE09-4A81-BD0A-40ECAE224B2C (resized).jpeg51BABE54-EE09-4A81-BD0A-40ECAE224B2C (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

No that’s not original. I see its 8 ohm, im not sure if that system runs on 8ohms... all my pins use 4 ohm speakers.. an 8 ohm speaker on a 4 ohm system would make it Much quieter.. I’d do some more research before throwing a different speaker in there but i think your on the right track.

#3 6 years ago

My DE Simpson's is doing the same thing. I replaced the cabinet speaker with a 4 ohm and it did not help it. I did not try to diagnose any further but I'm sure the sound board is defective

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

No that’s not original. I see its 8 ohm, im not sure if that system runs on 8ohms... all my pins use 4 ohm speakers.. an 8 ohm speaker on a 4 ohm system would make it Much quieter.. I’d do some more research before throwing a different speaker in there but i think your on the right track.

Ok, thank you. If the system is running 4ohm amp then it will "half" the power to the speaker if it's twice the load (8 ohm) like in this case? Will it mess up the amplification to the backbox speakers?

Also, I checked the manual and wiring now, the wires are connected wrong. Yellow/black is center+. Will swap it around and see how much difference it made.

Skärmklipp (resized).PNGSkärmklipp (resized).PNG

#6 6 years ago

Thanks, I will consider recapping the amps when I have it properly setup with a 4 ohm center speaker.

I don't have volume issues with the backbox speakers.

#7 6 years ago

Swapped the polarity of the cabinet speaker and got a noticeable increase in bass. Also better clarity from backbox speakers. Don't know if it actually affected the two channels since there are three amplifiers @ 14 W each but I'd like to think so.

Since the speaker is running at 8ohms it's a bit too quiet. But I will buy a separate cheap 5V or 12V amp to boost it so I can lower the overall front speaker volume.

#8 6 years ago

Although using a lower ohm speaker can make the amp work harder (and thus put out more watts), the main thing you want to look for in a speaker is the EFFICIENCY rating.

A low efficiency speaker will be very quiet.

If we had two 4 ohm speakers, one with a 94db efficiency rating and one with a 91db efficiency rating, the 91db unit would require TWICE the wattage to achieve the same volume.

Also, get a FULL RANGE speaker not a subwoofer speaker, as those tend to be very inefficient.

Finally, get a low wattage speaker. A speaker rated for 500w is not going to be happy being driven by an 8w pinball amp, lol.

#9 6 years ago

Thank you for the advice Vid. I could replace the speaker for an original full range woofer for about 20 bucks, but since the installed speaker seems to be brand new I'd like to try to amplify it separately before replacing it.

#10 6 years ago

Maybe I should be thinking the other way round? Put some resistors on the backbox speakers so I can turn up the volume without them screaming at me.

It will pump a bit more juice to the center speaker and not be too loud on top.

1 week later
#11 6 years ago

Ok I swapped for a 4 ohm speaker which improved it further. very good bass when volume is turned up.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Ok I swapped for a 4 ohm speaker which improved it further. very good bass when volume is turned up.

Excellent.

You should post the driver you found so others can use it.

#13 6 years ago

Don't know if it's available other than by one shop here in Sweden. It's probably a Chinese story.

Brand is MGR and sensitivity is decent. It's very recommended to install a stereo (for data east) L-pad to lower the backbox speakers though since they're too loud when cranking the volume up.

Specs on the speaker

Eff.160 W. Imp. 4 Ohm. Känsl. 91 dB. Frekv. omf. 35-5000 Hz. Rek. deln.frekv. <3500 Hz. Qts 0,75. Vas 10,62 l Fs 50,80 Hz. yttermått 211 mm. Baffelhål 181 mm. Djup 95 mm. Vikt 1,9 kg.

FEC0D468-475A-4E20-9F92-0D93AB568100 (resized).jpegFEC0D468-475A-4E20-9F92-0D93AB568100 (resized).jpeg

3 years later
#14 2 years ago

Is tales of the crypt sound in stereo? And if so how do you wire the L-pad into the back box speakers?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 64.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/low-volume-speaker-data-east and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.