Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DnDPins
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

In my Twilight zone, the game resets when both flippers are pushed.

Metered the wall... 112v

I need to re jumper for low voltage I believe. Does any one have a good reference for how to do this, or potentially a better solution?

#2 5 years ago

go to pinwiki.com he has a section on resets.what is on the circuit you have the game plugged into?can you run an extention cord to another outlet ? g.l. joe

#3 5 years ago

Might try this,http://www.kahr.us/

Get his daughter board, fixes reset issue.

#4 5 years ago

112vdc is plenty to run a TZ.

You need to do the standard "game resets when both flippers are pressed" WPC fixed.

The following may, or may not, need to be done depending on what actually fixes the issue ...

1) ensure there's a jumper wire between + of BR2 and + of C5 ... and - of BR2 and - of C5
2) *firmly* press the ASIC into its socket. There should be a pretty good "keerunch" as it seats.
3) reflow the solder on BR2 and C5
4) check J101 for tarnished pins, or signs of burning. If so, replace pin header, and use Trifurcon crimps on the plugs.
5) Reflow solder on the LM323k (that's the big silver voltage regulator mid-board)
6) Replace BR2 and C5 (be VERY careful removing C5, so you don't damage the PCB; if unsure, seek help)
7) Replace the LM323k

If still no go, post back for help ...

Also, if you don't want to do any of the above, you can just go buy one of those daughter boards that provides a separate +5 to the cpu board ...

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from litz:

1) ensure there's a jumper wire between + of BR2 and + of C5 ... and - of BR2 and - of C5

I hate jumpers.
Unless a monkey with a 1.2GigaWatt iron has completely destroyed the through-hole, they are not necessary.

Not trying to be argumentative. With the proper tools, technique, and experience, they aren't necessary.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#7 5 years ago

I've seen lots of power drivers where the thru holes are cracked just from age, no soldering has been done at all.

You have pretty big parts there, hanging sideways off the board, in an environment with lots of vibration.

Mechanically, it's something that CAN happen.

Whether you do or don't like jumpers, it's the #1 way to ensure that the connection is solid, and will not fail, period.

I did literally hundreds of these when I worked at Greater Southern. Not one came back because the game was resetting due to the power supply. It was always some other issue.

#8 5 years ago

Call your electric utility to verify proper voltage coming into your house. Most states require utilities to keep voltage within +/-5% of 120V (114V to 126V). They may need to put in a larger transformers, split up load, replace the service, etc if the voltage is low at the metering point.

#9 5 years ago

Did the daughter board. So far so good

#10 5 years ago

I got the daughter board for my TZ as well and it has been working fine ever since. I actually waited for summer until the problem started before I installed it so I could be sure. My issue sounds like the ops so you should be good.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Pinball Vault
$ 78.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 30.00
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 999.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Parker, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Tinley Park, IL
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Machine - For Sale
Brunswick, GA
£ 58.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside