(Topic ID: 216897)

Low Voltage for Williams System 6 sound

By ThatOneDude

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThatOneDude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

When debugging a Williams Gorgar sound(no sound out at all), I discovered that the voltage coming from the transformer at that tap is ~9.4V. According to the schematics I have, that should be 18.7V AC. So, I'm assuming that this is likely the root cause of my problem.
Since the rest of the system seems to power up just fine, I'm inclined to simply replace this particular voltage, with a separate AC transformer. Has anyone else tried this?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Look at the manual on IPDB. Page 20 has the power wiring diagram. The 12v for sound board is very clearly hooked up to the logic power. It's further rectified on the sound board, yes, but they share a source.

Looking at page six of the manual(the block diagram): http://www.ipdb.org/files/1062/Gorgar_Manual.pdf
It shows that the input to the sound board is 18.7V AC. I have also traced those wires back to the transformer directly. The logic is not connected, AFAICT.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

18vac rail to rail. 9vac either rail to ground. Center tap transformer setup.

Right. I posted that as I didn't see a connection to the 12V logic supply.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

after rectification there are capacitors which keep the voltage up. should be right around +12v and -12v on the sound board test points. Is that voltage low?

I think I made some bad contact when I was measuring the power originally. This time, I got a clear 19V from the incoming voltage.
I got +12V,-12V and 5V on the test points.

I'll run through the rest of the debugging and see where I get. I've already ruled out the front volume control.

#10 5 years ago

Ok, so it wasn't voltage. Mysteriously, the sounds(but not speech) have started working. Now I'm going to work on narrowing down the cause. Thanks for the posts!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThatOneDude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/low-voltage-for-williams-system-6-sound?tu=ThatOneDude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.