Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by harryhoudini
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A5B1EAD2-FC90-478A-8D91-B5499DCFFB3E (resized).jpeg
F579F3F4-98E6-4F23-9196-8DC4ECBAEE2B (resized).jpeg
D25B4E59-F9DA-43F9-8602-DC3E9C576A31 (resized).jpeg
3D8A8760-EBBE-4821-8B7D-68242C57214F (resized).jpeg
511F58D1-10B1-4FA8-8E05-DE1468E95E1E (resized).jpeg

#1 11 days ago

If you are in So Cal and looking for a good low run & good priced Brass & Gold parts plater, this guy is the man. Did my IJPBA & TOTAN ball rails and they are fresh!

A5B1EAD2-FC90-478A-8D91-B5499DCFFB3E (resized).jpeg3D8A8760-EBBE-4821-8B7D-68242C57214F (resized).jpeg511F58D1-10B1-4FA8-8E05-DE1468E95E1E (resized).jpegF579F3F4-98E6-4F23-9196-8DC4ECBAEE2B (resized).jpegD25B4E59-F9DA-43F9-8602-DC3E9C576A31 (resized).jpeg
#3 10 days ago

I don’t want to quote on his behalf so if you have parts call him and he’ll let you know. It’s a bargain though

#4 10 days ago

I just wondered what yours cost, to get an idea. I have ended up talking to people for powder coating who say, "Oh, $150" and then when it comes time to get down to it there are add ons and other costs. Seems like its going to be around $400 to do all the parts I want (wire ramps, cabinet hardware) so I was considering just getting the wireforms plated instead. I'll call for sure, I haven't found anyone local.

#5 10 days ago

FWIW, $400 ish sounds like the going rate for powder, and I've used Chris below who does plating, I think my tally was $375 for rails, wireforms and lock bar.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballplatingcom-chrome-brass-black-nickel-powder-coating

It may seem easy but there are multiple steps involved in each process and those take time, you are essentially paying for the time & expertise for one who knows what they are doing, as in they know where to "hit"... reminds me of this diddy:

There was this old timer that worked at an engine shop behind where I used to work, I'm talking the size of engines that power ocean liners (that's a misnomer these days in they power generators that power electric motors) anyway , he told me once about a job he made $10.1K for about 30 seconds work, there was an engine on a generator set that was making a terrible racket, multiple "experts" had been called out to fix it, none prevailed. He pulled out his 8# hammer, went to a spot on the engine and hit it one time. The racket stopped and the vessel could set sale, when asked why he demanded $10K he said his rate was $100 per hour, knowing where to hit the engine to knock the thing back into tolerance, that was the rest.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powder-coating-services-offered
^^ seems to do all the powder coating for the "big guys" on here.

GL with your quest!

#6 10 days ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

FWIW, $400 ish sounds like the going rate for powder, and I've
used Chris below who does plating, I think my tally was $375 for
rails, wireforms and lock bar.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballplatingcom-chrome-brass-black-nickel-powder-coating
It may seem easy but there are multiple steps involved in each
process and those take time, you are essentially paying for the
time & expertise for one who knows what they are doing, as in
they know where to "hit"... reminds me of this diddy:
There was this old timer that worked at an engine shop behind
where I used to work, I'm talking the size of engines that power
ocean liners (that's a misnomer these days in they power generators
that power electric motors) anyway , he told me once about a job he
made $10.1K for about 30 seconds work, there was an engine on a
generator set that was making a terrible racket, multiple "experts"
had been called out to fix it, none prevailed. He pulled out his 8#
hammer, went to a spot on the engine and hit it one time. The
racket stopped and the vessel could set sale, when asked why he
demanded $10K he said his rate was $100 per hour, knowing where to
hit the engine to knock the thing back into tolerance, that was the
rest.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powder-coating-services-offered
^^ seems to do all the powder coating for the "big guys" on
here.
GL with your quest!

Thanks for the antidote. I actually talked with both of those folks already, and a local PC place. So yeah, trying to decide what kind of money I want to put in to the game for aesthetics. If there was a more cost effective plating, I might do that. It's $175 to exchange my wireforms for plated ones with Chris, so I might end up doing that.

#7 10 days ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I just wondered what yours cost, to get an idea. I have ended up
talking to people for powder coating who say, "Oh, $150" and then
when it comes time to get down to it there are add ons and other
costs. Seems like its going to be around $400 to do all the parts I
want (wire ramps, cabinet hardware) so I was considering just
getting the wireforms plated instead. I'll call for sure, I haven't
found anyone local.

Mine was much less than $400. Again, not sure what you are looking to get plated so quoting wouldn’t be fair. PM me and I’m more than happy to tell you what I paid for both IJ & TOTAN combined.

#8 10 days ago

Well yeah, $400 was for everything PC. Plating just the wireforms (doing an exchange with Chris) was $175 (so I send him mine, he sends back already plated ones). Thanks.

#9 9 days ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Well yeah, $400 was for everything PC. Plating just the wireforms (doing an exchange with Chris) was $175 (so I send him mine, he sends back already plated ones). Thanks.

If you want to give away your originals to get somebody else’s parts plated in your machine, go ahead. I like to keep the original parts with the machine. To each each their own. This guy is in LA though so your guy might be good for shipping if your not in So Cal. But if you are in So Cal, James is the guy to go to

#10 9 days ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

If you want to give away your originals to get somebody else’s parts plated in your machine, go ahead. I like to keep the original parts with the machine. To each each their own. This guy is in LA though so your guy might be good for shipping if your not in So Cal. But if you are in So Cal, James is the guy to go to

Meh, it's not like their serial numbered and he's a reputable guy here, so no worries on my end. Still not sure what I'm doing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 254.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Austin, TX
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 89.99
$ 28.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Hardware
CPR Playfields
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside