Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jamesays
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

contestant-amazed.gif
    image4 (resized).jpeg
    image3 (resized).jpeg
    image2 (resized).jpeg
    image1 (resized).jpeg
    image0 (resized).jpeg
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Is it just me or do others feel like some low ball offers cross a line. I almost feel like there should be a rule that you have see the machine in person and play it before being allowed to insult the seller with a low ball offer. The offer should also be in person, It might reduce the number of those offerings. I know this isn't a realistic idea but I bet it would sure reduce those insulting offerings.

There are fair offers & then those who seem to have no shame.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from House:

then those who seem to have no shame.

the same could be said of some of the absurd asking prices...

#3 1 year ago

Or the opposite, stupidly priced objects for junk.

#4 1 year ago

Arg Flynn, you beat me to it!

#5 1 year ago

These days sellers consider MSRP for a used game that's still in production to be lowball.

#6 1 year ago

If someone makes you an offer below what you're wanting why not just say "no thanks" and move on with life? Why take it personal and get pissed enough to make a thread about it?

If you say OBO in the listing it's par for the course you're going to get people trying to get the machine for a steal. If it's that big a deal just say Firm and ignore anyone who still tries to haggle.

#7 1 year ago

Would you take $5 for this thread?

#8 1 year ago

I don’t buy the idea of insulting a seller. If the seller is insulted that’s their problem.

If I put in a low ball offer I will always provide an explanation of how I arrived at the number, detailing what the machine is eventually worth, what needs to be fixed and how much it will cost me to get it there. I haven’t had a seller be offended yet and most of them take the offer.

#9 1 year ago

I’d never drive a long distance to see a game before making an offer. That’s crazy. Would the price go up relative to distance i had to drive? I mean i’m pretty invested already then.

Here’s my strategy to a “low ball” offer. Reply to sender (and i reply to all pm’s) and simply say ‘I appreciate your offer but it is lower than i am willing to accept’. No hard feelings in that. I never counter offer when i think we are too far apart.

#10 1 year ago

I don't know. I'm just glad that an opportunity for everyone to bitch about prices was created all afresh this morning.

5 stars.

#11 1 year ago

It's people fishing hoping they get a bite from someone that is desperate for cash, going through a divorce, needing money for medical, etc. Happens on eBay, Offerup, Craigslist, etc, basically all of them. It's the way of things. I just don't reply to low ball offers here, on other services I don't reply and also permanently block them.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

If someone makes you an offer below what you're wanting why not just say "no thanks" and move on with life? Why take it personal and get pissed enough to make a thread about it?

Yep, low ball offers never bother me. The only time I get somewhat put off when I’m selling something is with the PM along the lines of:

“Hey man, I need to know ASAP what the lowest price is you’ll sell it for!!!! I’m really interested but it’s urgent I know the lowest price you’ll take!!!”

Im not sure why would I even give that information to anyone under any circumstances? It seems like every for sale thread gets some sort of PM along those lines from the alleged rushed buyer.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yep, low ball offers never bother me. The only time I get somewhat put off when I’m selling something is with the PM along the lines of:
    “Hey man, I need to know ASAP what the lowest price is you’ll sell it for!!!! I’m really interested but it’s urgent I know the lowest price you’ll take!!!”
    Im not sure why would I even give that information to anyone under any circumstances? It seems like every for sale thread gets some sort of PM along those lines from the alleged rushed buyer.

Seems like a very strange and very ineffective tactic to get a lower price. If they're in that much a rush it typically means they're willing to pay asking price or more. Using it as an angle to get a lower price makes no sense lol

#14 1 year ago

If the offer is absurd like half off no need respond,if a bit low I counter.If Firm just say so.

#15 1 year ago

It’s called anchoring. If a game is priced appropriately it’s not going to be for sale long enough to get a bunch of low ball offers. But if you price the game too high, people react with low balls in order to balance the negotiations.

https://www.pon.harvard.edu/daily/dealmaking-daily/dealmaking-grappling-with-anchors-in-negotiation/?amp

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from House:

Is it just me or do others feel like some low ball offers cross a line. I almost feel like there should be a rule that you have see the machine in person and play it before being allowed to insult the seller with a low ball offer. The offer should also be in person, It might reduce the number of those offerings. I know this isn't a realistic idea but I bet it would sure reduce those insulting offerings.

What machine are you trying to sell and what is the asking price?

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from vidguy:

It’s called anchoring. If a game is priced appropriately it’s not going to be for sale long enough to get a bunch of low ball offers. But if you price the game too high, people react with low balls in order to balance the negotiations.
    https://www.pon.harvard.edu/daily/dealmaking-daily/dealmaking-grappling-with-anchors-in-negotiation/?amp

My experience is that the bulk of low ball offers come on day 1 of the listing, usually within a few hours of the listing.

#18 1 year ago

If you post with obo, expect to get a lowball opening offer. Then negotiate..

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from House:

The offer should also be in person,

You’re not even coming to look at the game before we have agreed on a price. I’m not wasting my time with you showing up and offering a number I’m not willing to take.

#20 1 year ago

You just need to say "Price is firm, I know what I got." This will prevent even the thought of a low ball from entering the buyers mind.

#21 1 year ago

It’s tough making an offer then showing up and the game is not as described

#22 1 year ago

I get a lot of “whats the lowest you’ll take?” …what? I put a price in the listing. Whats the highest you will offer? I dont mind low offers but at least make an offer.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Thats a great time to lowball!

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from madtown:

I get a lot of “whats the lowest you’ll take?” …what? I put a price in the listing. Whats the highest you will offer? I dont mind low offers but at least make an offer.

Agreed. My #1 rule in negotiations - i will never negotiate against myself.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

It's people fishing hoping they get a bite from someone that is desperate for cash, going through a divorce, needing money for medical, etc. Happens on eBay, Offerup, Craigslist, etc, basically all of them. It's the way of things. I just don't reply to low ball offers here, on other services I don't reply and also permanently block them.

Exactly ! People with no shame in taking advantage of others in dire circumstances.
    “the time to buy is when blood is running on the streets!”
    Karmas a bitch though and I believe that most actions especially ones like this come full circle. Unfortunately it’s usually years later.

#26 1 year ago

I call them flippers this happens too everything in the world up for sale they are hoping they can get it cheap what ever it is and put it back up for sale too make money on it ,just say no thanks and move on no big deal at all

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from madtown:

Exactly. Then if you name a price and they offer even less than that.

I constantly see this in the housing industry especially in times that the market is slow. Someone will say I’ll give you $500,000 for the home that’s listed for $800,000. If I had time to waste id track down the listing for their home they are moving from and offer them $35% less than asking price. The response will always be the same Hell no!! that offer is insultingly low!

It follows the age old … if they are selling its solid gold so no discount!
    If they are buying it’s a turd and you are lucky they would consider taking it off your hands!

My grandfather called it “Arthritis of the wallet hand.”

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from House:

No. Is this a serious post? Just ignore them. They aren't serious, don't give it another thought. You don't owe them anything. Your instincts are right; if they can't be bothered to put any effort into the sale, you don't have to either.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

With modern technology this isn’t really much of an issue. Except if you show up and the machine smells like cat Piss,mold/mildew.

#30 1 year ago

Wow, I think I opened Pandora's box on this posting. I meant the post to be a bit on the humorous side, not as angry. My dreams of being a comic writer just went up in smoke. This was my first forum topic posting. I'll take the beatings I had coming on this one.

#31 1 year ago

A minor annoyance maybe. Definitely not offensive. There are a huge number of people on this forum that paid "unfair" prices at least once. They either stole a game that was under priced or they got screwed paying too much. Ask and pay what you want. It will sell or it won't.

Many non-pinheads and those new to the hobby don't always understand the pricing. A lot of people can't comprehend the cost of these things being over a couple hundred dollars.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from House:

I hear what you are saying, but it really goes both ways. Plenty of unrealistic sellers out there. I've seen people asking $6k for a players Tee'd Off, and then get mad when offered $2k. Is the person offering $2k a low baller, or are they just being realistic?

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from House:

Is it just me or do others feel like some low ball offers cross a line.

If you list a game for 2k, and u offer $200 for it, why is that offensive or taken as an insult?

#34 1 year ago

Would you take a non-working 1975 John Deere snowmobile and a dirty hot tub for your JP?

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Completist:

Agreed. My #1 rule in negotiations - i will never negotiate against myself.

LOL - it is amazing the number of people who don't get this. It's like the number 1 rule of selling anything.

I used to work with contract negotiations for very large long term deals.. the first basic rules were

1- seller offers a price
    2- buyer accepts or counters
    3- if the buyer's offer is deemed a lowball the seller will counter with the initial price

There are a million sub-rules - like buying using a strawman, ala carte purchasing, and so on... but the one that I think is critical is if a buyer will make a comment like "I will buy it today for $...." which shows they are serious. However... if someone says that and backs out... they are persona non grata for all upcoming deals. In my world... if you agree to a price, unless something major was undisclosed or there was a caveat, the price negotiations are over. I don't care if I can buy it/sell it for a better deal, there is no going back.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If you list a game for 2k, and u offer $200 for it, why is that offensive to, or taken as an insult?

It can be offensive when they try to shame you into taking a low ball offer.

That's probably the origin of the "I know what I have" comment.... some dude had a game for sale and someone offered them 1/4th the price by pointing out that Bally made 10,000 of them, that they have faded side art, and there is wear in the shooter lane.

Personally, I wouldn't take it as an insult but I definitely would give it an eye roll.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Well yeah. That’s called being a jerk and it’s never okay. But someone making you an honest offer is never offensive. Just say thanks but no thanks. No need to go into anything else.

#38 1 year ago

Why do you or they get their feelings hurt when someone offers any price. No is an easy word to say. It might get you in a conversation that is beneficial to you both.

#39 1 year ago

Go watch Pawn Stars. They are the kings of low balling. And they learned how to do it without pissing off the other party…

I don’t mind when people negotiate. Worst that can happen is no deal is made. In fact, I like it when potential employees negotiate terms with me. Shows they have a backbone. I’ve done the same for myself..

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

That's probably the origin of the "I know what I have" comment.... some dude had a game for sale and someone offered them 1/4th the price by pointing out that Bally made 10,000 of them, that they have faded side art, and there is wear in the shooter lane.
    Personally, I wouldn't take it as an insult but I definitely would give it an eye roll.

So this really depends on the situation right? We see for sale ads ALL the time that are WAY over priced. So, if you have a faded Sorceror with shooter lane wear and broken plastics that doesn't boot and you are asking $3000 for it...well then the low baller who explains why that game is worth far less is correct. I guess I understand someone getting annoyed if someone just offers them 1/2 price for a fairly priced game without any reasoning but whatever, say no and move on.

#41 1 year ago

Low ball offers amuse me and I just reply no thanks. I have wound up Eventually selling to the initial low Baller

#42 1 year ago

Buyers start Low.

Sellers start High.

They meet in between.

Nothing has ever been wrong with the process.

#43 1 year ago

Here's a recent example. I just bought a 300 from a guy that was a 2 hour drive away. He had it listed for $550. It has a pretty beat up cabinet but the playfield is pretty decent and he said it turned on but was stuck on tilt. Probably a relatively easy fix. I messaged him and explained that I restore and refurbish machines as a hobby and would like to offer him $300 for the machine. I explained that this would leave me enough room to get the machine working correctly and re-do the cabinet while not being upside down on the machine. I ended by saying I fully understood if he wanted to wait for more and just to keep my offer in his back pocket and let me know if he decided to accept it.

He messaged me back and said he would rather the game sell to someone who knew what they were doing and would take the $300. No one was offended.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from NEW-B:

"Price is firm, I know what I got."

I see or hear, 'I know what I got' out of a seller and I don't bother with the item.

Famous words of the guy with a nice car rusting away, out on the back 40.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

o watch Pawn Stars. They are the kings of low balling. And they learned how to do it without pissing off the other party…

People still watch that fake ass show. In case you don't know, that show is fake and rehearsed bullshit.

#46 1 year ago

Op still has not said what game or his asking price of said game that he was lowballed on. He has no for sale ads on pinside.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

People still watch that fake ass show. In case you don't know, that show is fake and rehearsed bullshit.

I’m sure what we see on tv is just that. I’m sure they run their business the same way when not on tv. Their tv show is called entertainment, maybe you need some of that.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

no one can possibly think these guys know the history and details of most of the items off the cuff.Big Hoss comes off as smart as a bag o rocks.

#49 1 year ago

this is still my favorite low ball inquiry i've ever gotten..

image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).jpegimage4 (resized).jpegimage4 (resized).jpeg
    #50 1 year ago

Yup there's lots of them out there too try and try too make a fast buck it doesn't always work but they will keep trying

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/low-ball-offers?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.