Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a basement room just for pinball that I have blacklight carpet (and a blacklight) and room for 6 games (currently full).
Recently bought my first Ledded machine STpro (ya, ya...I know I'm a cheapo). Anyway, I absolutely love the look of this machine and the playfield is so cool with the color changing leds. I added undercab dynamic lighting.

Now my AFM,STTNG, and Stargate look like they need leds...

However, this weekend my kid had a graduation party and we set up the basement with "party" lighting (moonflower and laser) in the main room and the door open for the pinball room. Problem was the STpro was producing so much light it was washing out the party lighting in the main room. Also the blacklight wasnt really showing off the carpet because of the STpro. So I turned it (st) off.

So now I am unsure what I want to do about adding leds to the other machines.
What have other people done?

Ben

#2 9 years ago

I did a 16x13 room with blacklight carpet, back when I had 24 video games in it (0 pins). Even with videogames, with the 15watt marquee lights could cause a bit of a wash out, plus, with screens covered only in glass instead of tinted plexiglass, the UV actually illuminated the monitors which is a huge distraction. Then when I started bringing in pins I found the UV is quite distracting, especially if mylar is on the playfield, it causes it to glow a ghost-white, dulling the colors much like the video game monitors. Also, it changes the colors of other things, though does make yellow and white bats glow very nicely. Overall however, they are a distraction from the game.

As far as LED's go, honestly if you think they are whitening the room you went with too bright of LED's (IMHO). In my Bally Vector, I actually found that the #555's behind translucent inserts were brighter than the entry level Ablaze/PBL or Comet LEDs by quite a bit. However those LEDs worked great behind the blue/green translucent or red/yellow opaque inserts bringing out the true color without being too bright (brighter than a 555 incandescent behind a blue but only because the blue was now the correct color, but still dimmer than the translucent amber lit by a 555 incandescent)

I'm in the camp of as close to original as possible/intended with brightness/color temp, so rarely do I use anything but the entry level LED's.

If you want to maintain the brightness level but also get the carpet to really glow, you need some blacklight canon's to spot hit just the carpet, and mount them under the games so they aren't directly visible. The normal ways just throw the light everywhere and can be distracting to those with sensitive eyes or glasses that do some weird refraction of the light.

#3 9 years ago

I like the factory lighting look of the classic B/W games from the '90s and I will not change any of mine to LEDs. However, I have a Stern Mustang premium coming (due this month) and it comes with LEDs. I will not "dumb down" the lighting of the Mustang, but I am afraid that the LEDs will make it look out of place with the rest of my lineup.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I will not "dumb down" the lighting of the Mustang, but I am afraid that the LEDs will make it look out of place with the rest of my lineup.

Believe me it will. The Mustang will look like it's high beams are on. Some like that look...I don't.

#5 9 years ago

LEDs are nice for some inserts and can look cool in upper playfield areas over the plastics.

I still hate LEDs as GI down at the bottom. Near the flippers should always have old fashioned incandescent bulbs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lovehate-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.