(Topic ID: 109522)

Love the "new member warning" in the marketplace!

By NJGecko

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pezpunk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Was reading an ad placed this morning in the marketplace. Was a little skeptical when I saw they listed a CV for $3500. Scrolled down to the bottom of the ad and saw a pinside warning that it was placed by a new member. Nice feature!

IMHO, I still think brand new members should have a waiting period before posting, but that's just me....

#2 7 years ago

What if there were something set up like a $100 fee to place an ad, that would be automatically refunded 4 weeks later, except in the case of some intervention - eg: a buyer reporting to paypal that the game was not shipped, or was not as described?

I think scammers would be unwilling to front any money to place their ads, and would leave the marketplace in favor of craigslist or some other completely $ risk free venue for their scamming.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

What if there were something set up like a $100 fee to place an ad, that would be automatically refunded 4 weeks later, except in the case of some intervention - eg: a buyer reporting to paypal that the game was not shipped, or was not as described?
    I think scammers would be unwilling to front any money to place their ads, and would leave the marketplace in favor of craigslist or some other completely $ risk free venue for their scamming.

Nah, I don't think that would be helpful. I think the biggest thing is just a waiting period. Most scammers don't bother with any waiting periods. If they can't do it immediately they move on.

#4 7 years ago

Or what about X number of posts before a new member can post in the marketplace?

#5 7 years ago

X number of posts & a waiting period. These two requirements will make most scammers & spammers move on.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from JBK:

X number of posts & a waiting period. These two requirements will make most scammers & spammers move on.

Yes...except they can still post F/S posts, just not in the marketplace.

#7 7 years ago

I PM'd this person mentioned in this thread and specifically mentioned I would be a cash-only purchaser and needed the phone number to talk over stuff. I received a PM back with an email address and was told the pins would ship from Delaware even though the person shows up as being in Georgia. Of course he asked for my email which I did not supply.

The 'seller' has no forum posts and was a little miffed when I said that I would consider reporting him if I did not receive a phone number and explanation. Well, surprise-surprise, nothing in return. My scam-o-meter was pretty high when I first saw the ad. How can we get this account looked into and possibly banned?

I'd hate to think someone might fall for this stuff.

#8 7 years ago

Aussie Arcade is 30 days and 30 posts, or a $50 donation, before you can post in the for sale section

#9 7 years ago

I have several suggestions for the Marketplace ads, given the high amount of scammy-type listings I've seen recently:

(1) The "new member warning" box should be moved to the top of the page on Marketplace listings so that a scammer can't attempt to bury it by typing a long list of pins for sale.

(2) There should be a "Report" link with each Marketplace ad, so that if several established Pinside members report it as suspicious, it will throw a red flag to the mods.

I've noticed a bunch of suspicious seller listings in the Marketplace within the last week.

There were several different "new member" usernames creating Marketplace listings using a sideways picture of a Cirqus Voltaire. When you clicked on their ad, it had a huge list of pins for sale, many of which were priced too good to be true.

It looks like it might be all the same guy from seeing the same listing price pattern over & over again. For instance, he always lists Wizard Of Oz "Ruby Red/Limited Edition" for thousands of dollars less than the "Regular/Standard Edition".

#10 7 years ago

As a new member myself (Hello BTW), I would have to point out New members could be on the level and have new things and ideas to offer, a mandatory wait, or cash outlay could be considered offputting, and possibly chase away a sweet deal. (and/or new member.)

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from xt101:

As a new member myself (Hello BTW), I would have to point out New members could be on the level and have new things and ideas to offer, a mandatory wait, or cash outlay could be considered offputting, and possibly chase away a sweet deal. (and/or new member.)

of course 99% of new members are awesome, but most arent signing up and immediaately posting games for sale -- a warning to potential buyers is certainly in order, given the recent influx of scam posts. for the most part, the scams are easy to spot, but an additional warning can help.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from blue95:

Aussie Arcade is 30 days and 30 posts, or a $50 donation, before you can post in the for sale section

its a good idea but its worth nothing that this tends to lead to 30 threadmines/nonsense posts in a lot of cases

#13 7 years ago

I like the idea of 'report'. At least that way mods can look into the situation and make a judgement call. As is stands now, I'm not exactly how to report the current listing. It is certainly a scam. I called the guy out on it and he got pretty testy but then he never emailed me back once I told him I would not give him my email address.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

its a good idea but its worth nothing that this tends to lead to 30 threadmines/nonsense posts in a lot of cases

still more effort than these scammers are willing to go to, i would bet.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside