Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Tomass
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Resized_Screenshot_20210923-112219_Instagram (resized).jpeg
    20210918_113405 (resized).jpg
    20210922_184843 (resized).jpg
    20191204_190307 (resized).jpg
    20191204_190302 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Set a machine for the kids to play at youth group tonight. My daughter goes to Wednesday night group at our church so I offered a loaner for them. There was a line before I could finish setting it up. Was nice seeing kids enjoy some pinball.

20191204_190302 (resized).jpg20191204_190302 (resized).jpg20191204_190307 (resized).jpg20191204_190307 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

It's new and novel. In a couple of weeks take the same picture and see if there is anyone around. I could be wrong and might be surprised, I'm just going by my own personal observations about kids, including my own. It is fun to see the little ones excitement light up when they see them the first time.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I could be wrong and might be surprised

Ur not wrong and u won't be suprised. people love to play my pins but not a one young or old go out to play on site or have a desire to purchase. This is nice but not gonna happen. Pinball dies with us. Plain and simple.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

It's new and novel. In a couple of weeks take the same picture and see if there is anyone around. I could be wrong and might be surprised, I'm just going by my own personal observations about kids, including my own. It is fun to see the little ones excitement light up when they see them the first time.

I'd set the high scores super low and ensure they know how to enter their initials. That might keep them playing.

#5 4 years ago

Pinball "died" in the 90's, it's 2019. What makes the people playing now different than the people who will find pinball in 20 years? If anything, with our increasingly digital society, it could help pinball as tactile will feel more and more new and different.

Quoted from Hazoff:

Pinball dies with us. Plain and simple.

#6 4 years ago

Well these kids only come once a week. There were more than 50 kids there. When I picked my daughter up 2 hours later there was still a line and 2 kids asked how much one costs. When I told him he was upset cause he couldn't get one for his house. They asked if they make smaller ones. Lol. They may get tired of it, but that has not been the case with the air hockey table and foosball that are there. If they do, it will likely be the adults lined up. Things are a little different up here. Most of these kids are home schooled and still do outdoor stuff.

#7 4 years ago

out door stuff! tell um to be careful..i heard tell they might learn something out there..

#8 4 years ago

Great pin for kids to learn on! My younger cousins love my F14 tomcat and cant get enough of the flashing lights, sounds, etc. Pinball isn't just an old guy thing, it will live on and on and on.

8 months later
    #9 3 years ago

To all the naysayer, the kids are still fighting for a turn on High Speed. Just went to drop off my daughter and put a fuse in the flipper board and there were 20+ kids waiting for the fix. Unfortunately something melted in the left flipper coil, so they will have to wait till next week. They were sad, but understanding.

#10 3 years ago

My little half-sister (16years old) loves playing pinball and already came to a classic tournament with me (EMs and some EE machines). She even finished higher than me

Sure that says nothing about if she will still be interested in pinball 30 years from now. But not all kids loose interest after some games.

But i can also give a contrary example: We had a kid over (16yo boy) who could play on my new JP Premium. After 10 games he came back and begun playing fortnite on his switch. Even tough he can play that at home all the time and the pin was a one time chance
    I will never understand it. I'm an avid gamer myself. But nothing comes to the real feel of steelballs (glad i added steel ) bashing around unpredictably.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

What makes the people playing now different than the people who will find pinball in 20 years? If anything, with our increasingly digital society, it could help pinball as tactile will feel more and more new and different.

Once us arcade kids die off pinball dies and by that I mean no more manufacturing of physical machines. Now u diehards who listen to pinball podcasts and go to conventions maybe can't accept that and yeah there's lots of pins out there for the few young people who might get into but let me ask you this, When B/W stopped making pins and if Stern never started up a business do really think it would be still be going strong outside of passing around the same 90's 80's ems with a lot of us throwing in the towel by now. Gary Stern waited and luckily for him us "arcade kids" were now in a position to afford buying these very expensive toys for the house. When we stop it dies. I hope I'm very wrong. But then again I don't particularly care.

#12 3 years ago

I'm just glad I can give the kids something to do on a Wednesday night. Things are just a little different up here. We have the highest rate of homeschooled kids in the US. From my experience more than half of the kids in our church are homeschooled. Perhaps a big part is the social aspect.
    Not disputing that pinball may die off, but I am just glad the kids continue to enjoy it here. Several parents have thanked me for supplying the game and their kids tell them they want one too. I am going to offer to put second machine in there since there is plenty of room. I would rather let them enjoy it than have it sit in my game shed. I play my games, but not as much as the High Speed gets played.

1 year later
    #13 2 years ago

Put my extra Comet for the kids. They still play the crap out of HS. Had to tune it up with a few rubbers worn out. These were the first ones to show up after.

20210922_184843 (resized).jpg20210922_184843 (resized).jpg
    #14 2 years ago

Your kindness, and generosity will provide bonding and memories for a lifetime.
    Ill say, "Thank You!"

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Your kindness, and generosity will provide bonding and memories for a lifetime.
    Ill say, "Thank You!"

Thanks! I asked tonight if they wanted a Defender Stargate and the adults were all about it. Hope the kids will enjoy it.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Thanks! I asked tonight if they wanted a Defender Stargate and the adults were all about it. Hope the kids will enjoy it.

That’s a great game.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

That’s a great game.

Great but super hard.

#18 2 years ago

I took my cyclone out to our local community building this past weekend. Had it set on free play and reset the scores. Kids didn't even know what to do but once they figured it out it was going all afternoon

20210918_113405 (resized).jpg20210918_113405 (resized).jpg
    #19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Put my extra Comet for the kids. They still play the crap out of HS. Had to tune it up with a few rubbers worn out. These were the first ones to show up after.
    [quoted image]

Gives the kids something to do.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shewmanga:

I took my cyclone out to our local community building this past weekend. Had it set on free play and reset the scores. Kids didn't even know what to do but once they figured it out it was going all afternoon
    [quoted image]

Nice! I love Cyclone...my first pin.

#21 2 years ago

They posted this on their Instagram!

Resized_Screenshot_20210923-112219_Instagram (resized).jpegResized_Screenshot_20210923-112219_Instagram (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/love-seeing-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.