(Topic ID: 161385)

Love it or hate it...GB Pro led mod...Vote.

By MustangPaul

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by labnip
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Love it or hate it...GB Pro led mod...Vote.”

• Love it. 7 votes
    5%
  • Hate it. 59 votes
    43%
  • No thanks, I'll leave my T molding stock. 51 votes
    37%
  • Bacon. 21 votes
    15%

(138 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 21 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMGA0884[1]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0883[1]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0486[1]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0457[1]_(resized).JPG
christmas-truck_1_(resized).jpg
tzm5syB_(resized).jpg
IMGA0526[1]_(resized).JPG
pasted_image_(resized).png
IMGA0521[1]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0520[1]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0519[1]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0517[2]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0518[1]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0513[2]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0517[1]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0516[1]_(resized).JPG

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I have been wanting to do this on a game for a long time and when Ghostbusters came along I knew it would be the perfect game to try it on, total cost was only about $100 and took about 2 hours to put on so I gave it a try. The 2-6ft non waterproof RGB strips had to be cut to length but slid right into the hollow T-molding with no problem. The strips use a 44 button remote so there are plenty of choices for color and effects and both strips are controlled by the same remote so they are in sync and is powered seperately from the game because of the amp draw. The hot spotting of the leds doesn't bother me and I think it looks really good especially when they are fading between the colors but solids are nice too. As you can see in the blue and green pictures those 3 leds sections are out, probably from heating the T molding to much to make the bend so I'll have to get a new strip, not a big deal. Let the voting begin.

IMGA0510[1]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0511[1]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0513[1]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0514[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0515[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0516[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0517[1]_(resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

How bad is the glare on the glass? Typically I consider these type of leds too bright for the naked eye..would need a diffuser of some kind on the top for me personally.

#3 3 years ago

I think the green has potential but would rather not see individual bulbs. Also it show just be warm light as mentioned above.

At this time my vote is for bacon!

#4 3 years ago

saw those t-molding a while ago and thought exactly the same thing. personally i think it's a great idea, i don't have them installed so i can't really say 100%, not sure i'd like to have theme directly in my eyes. i'd be curious to see what it looks like dimmed down.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

How bad is the glare on the glass? Typically I consider these type of leds too bright for the naked eye..would need a diffuser of some kind on the top for me personally.

The glare is there but off to the sides (see picture) and it's on the right plastic too but it's not as distracting as the glare of the tl which really covers the upper pf. The remote can vary the brightness of the strips.

#6 3 years ago

Me no likey, sorry

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

saw those t-molding a while ago and thought exactly the same thing. personally i think it's a great idea, i don't have them installed so i can't really say 100%, not sure i'd like to have theme directly in my eyes. i'd be curious to see what it looks like dimmed down.

Brightest,

IMGA0513[2]_(resized).JPG

Dimmest,

IMGA0518[1]_(resized).JPG

Brightest,

IMGA0517[2]_(resized).JPG

Dimmest,

IMGA0519[1]_(resized).JPG

#8 3 years ago

Not for me. Sorry.
I was considering getting some neon green [non LED] for my LE, but not sold on the idea yet. rather see someone else try it first!

#9 3 years ago

That's really bright Paul. Undercab lighting is great because it's a warm glow under the game. That seems overly garish and distracting. IMHO.

#10 3 years ago

If it causes even a slight glare then it's not worth it. Show some pics standing back so the entire playfield glass can be seen.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

That's really bright Paul. Undercab lighting is great because it's a warm glow under the game. That seems overly garish and distracting. IMHO.

See brightest and dimmest pictures above.

#12 3 years ago

I wish someone would come up with something like this for the legs too. Darn it.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

If it causes even a slight glare then it's not worth it. Show some pics standing back so the entire playfield glass can be seen.

Here they are with brightness all the way down.

IMGA0520[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0521[1]_(resized).JPG

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I wish someone would come up with something like this for the legs too. Darn it.

I'll get right on that.

#15 3 years ago

pasted_image_(resized).png

#17 3 years ago

it looks cool but it would be in the way for me. But if you could turn them off with the start button that would change the game I think.

#18 3 years ago

I was wondering what this would look like also. I didn't realize the T-Molding wrapped all the way around the back on these bacboxes. I thought it stopped at the back of the top and bottom.

I have a strange question...did you try sliding in a light strip upside down to see how that would look??? I'm guessing you would get a dark strip in the middle with 2 lit edges on each piece of t-molding, but who knows.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Twilight1:

it looks cool but it would be in the way for me. But if you could turn them off with the start button that would change the game I think.

With them on the lowest brightness setting they aren't really that bad in person and almost all of the glass reflection is on the black painted inner cab sides. The translight reflection is wayyyy worse, that covers the top third of the pf and makes it very difficult to see what's going on there. Just use the remote to turn them off your still just pushing a button.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I have a strange question...did you try sliding in a light strip upside down to see how that would look??? I'm guessing you would get a dark strip in the middle with 2 lit edges on each piece of t-molding, but who knows.

Not strange at all, I tried that but it didn't look right at all, it looked like ya put the strip in backwards. The molding is crowned inside, just like an led strip is crowned so the long strip slid in easily, up to 5 and half feet anyways then it was difficult for the last 6 inches. Turning the strip over I was only able to go 6 inches or so and it couldn't push it any further.

#21 3 years ago

Cool idea but too bright for me.

#22 3 years ago

With some leg light ups and your ball launcher lit up, and this could be a pretty cool way to light up a game room with color instead of using neon lights and led strips. Way to go. Would be cool to see a few games together with all 3 lighting ideas. Don't let nobody break your stride.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

With some leg light ups and your ball launcher lit up, and this could be a pretty cool way to light up a game room with color instead of using neon lights and led strips. Way to go. Would be cool to see a few games together with all 3 lighting ideas. Don't let nobody break your stride.

GB is the only one with all 3 so here's a picture. That's the best my camera will do.

IMGA0526[1]_(resized).JPG
IMGA0525[1]_(resized).JPG

#24 3 years ago

Cool pic thanks. I wounder what el wire would look like instead of led strip. Those leg light ups are my favorite . Such cool ideas

#25 3 years ago

Also I voted bacon!

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Cool pic thanks. I wounder what el wire would look like instead of led strip. Those leg light ups are my favorite . Such cool ideas

Well each wire has to have a transformer and it would take quite a bundle of wires to fill the void of one molding strip and the wires would be all kind of hap hazard looking inside too.

#27 3 years ago

I dig it

#28 3 years ago

Too gaudy for my taste. Prefer to keep the pin bling under the glass where it's less distracting.

#29 3 years ago

Do your leg lights have the ability to change color? I think it would be cool if all 3 mods could fade in and out of different colors together as well as the option to stay at one color. Would look cool in a row of pins.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Do your leg lights have the ability to change color? I think it would be cool if all 3 mods could fade in and out of different colors together as well as the option to stay at one color. Would look cool in a row of pins.

No they don't. It would be cool though.

#32 3 years ago

If you like it, awesome... as long as its easy to remove later on. Not something I would do or want personally, but green is a nice match for the game.

#33 3 years ago

Pictures won't do proper justice to MustangPaul games. I have visited his place and all his games are perfectly playable - that was before he got this GB but I have no doubt this game is fine.

Generally not a big fan of heavily modded games in dark gamerooms but Paul's is one notable exception.

Have to come back some day and

#34 3 years ago

I though you drove a Mustang Paul?

Maybe a little over the top for me, but I like the light up legs and shooter.

tzm5syB_(resized).jpg

#35 3 years ago

Hi Paul,

Im sure it looks great in person!

Curious, though.....is this your car?

christmas-truck_1_(resized).jpg

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Pictures won't do proper justice to MustangPaul games. I have visited his place and all his games are perfectly playable - that was before he got this GB but I have no doubt this game is fine.
Generally not a big fan of heavily modded games in dark gamerooms but Paul's is one notable exception.

I agree pictures never are the same as the eye. I've tried to capture my Dj lighting in my gameroom and it looks like shit in the picture .

#37 3 years ago

I'm digging it at its dimmest setting. Anything brighter and me no likey. Too bad you had to put "bacon" as one of the voting choices as being a chef I'm immediately drawn to pig fat

#38 3 years ago

To each his own.

#39 3 years ago

Nice idea. My $.02

Have you considered a different material for the leds, one that is more cloudy than clear? It would help disperse the light, and not show the led location/hot spots.

If the leds shut off during the game (or dimmed to lowest brightness) that would be nice. A buddy of mine has a Metallica that the backbox dims when you push the start button. When the game is over, it brightens back up. Attract mode only would be less distracting.

#40 3 years ago

Put some 3/4 inch translucent white tape over the T molding to tone it down to a soft glow. Do that , and you may have something.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Millz:

Nice idea. My $.02
Have you considered a different material for the leds, one that is more cloudy than clear? It would help disperse the light, and not show the led location/hot spots.
If the leds shut off during the game (or dimmed to lowest brightness) that would be nice. A buddy of mine has a Metallica that the backbox dims when you push the start button. When the game is over, it brightens back up. Attract mode only would be less distracting.

Good idea. I have the back box dimmer for ACDC and it's awesome. Totally eliminates glare.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Thanks for the kind words Jean Louis, I hope you can make it back too. I'll have another party and I for sure won't drink as much as last time. I wish you would have taken more pictures, your phone did a GREAT job and I'll take you for a nice cruse in the Mustang.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

If you like it, awesome... as long as its easy to remove later on. Not something I would do or want personally, but green is a nice match for the game.

T molding is a snap to do so no problem there.

#44 3 years ago

I think it looks great Paul! Do you play in the dark usually?

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I though you drove a Mustang Paul?
Maybe a little over the top for me, but I like the light up legs and shooter.

That's not my Mustang... This is...well it's gettin there anyways.

IMGA0457[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0486[1]_(resized).JPG

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hi Paul,
Im sure it looks great in person!
Curious, though.....is this your car?

See above pictures.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I'm digging it at its dimmest setting. Anything brighter and me no likey. Too bad you had to put "bacon" as one of the voting choices as being a chef I'm immediately drawn to pig fat

I like it brighter cuz the colors are more pure. My eyes must be in good shape cuz I have no problem at a brighter setting.

#48 3 years ago

Not my thing. Overpowers the translight and shines directly at player. But who cares if you dig it?

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Millz:

I've never seen anything RGB like that, I could get the waterproof type of strip and sand the crap out of the covering which I'm gonna try (I have an order in for it) but with that covering the strips are a VERY tight fit so I may have to but some luberschlider on them to get it in. Then, because of the thickness of the strip I hope the molding can make the tight bends of the bb.

Quoted from Millz:A buddy of mine has a Metallica that the backbox dims when you push the start button. When the game is over, it brightens back up.

I have the same thing on Mustang and Nascar but you have to remember they are using game power and because of the 5 amp draw of the color changing strips I'm using an outside power source and GB is a Spike game, the others are not so it's a different set-up.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

Put some 3/4 inch translucent white tape over the T molding to tone it down to a soft glow. Do that , and you may have something.

I'll see if I can find some. Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, NY
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, TX
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside