Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by isJ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hey all. Went to play a few games and noticed the gi was dark. All the gi associated with the fuse f25 are out. Replaced fuse and checked connector. Connector looked good, so I didn't tinker with it.

What should I check on this? I am crap at diagnosing, so the simpler you can put it, the better.

Excuse any typos, please! Damn smartphones

#2 8 years ago

I think you mean LOTR? Try fuse #26. It happened to me and it was fuse #26, or whatever the third fuse I'm that row is, maybe 27 but I think it was 26.

#3 8 years ago

Yeah I fixed that typo, lol I replaced those fuses and prayed that the problem would go away to no avail.

#4 8 years ago

Probably wires wiggled loose under the playfield and are touching. Did you look under the playfield for wires touching/rubbing? Give it a close inspection.

#5 8 years ago

I'll check in the am and look at yellow // white/yellow. Thanks

1 week later
#6 8 years ago

I can't find any wires touchiing, but if I put a fuse in, it blows. What else besides checking Yellow // white/yellow.. would be next?

#7 8 years ago

Fuse holders themselves on my LOTR are weak and more than one over the years have loosened up just enough to check out fine but not actually make contact with a good fuse in it. Worth a check anyways, one was my GI as well! Took way longer than I'd like to admit to find, friend actually found it...

oops, just saw the part where your fuse is actually blowing! not that probably.

Next I'd check any mods, some of them plug right into the GI.

#8 8 years ago

Good call. Will check when I get time. Those fuse holders are loose, and I thought that might be the problem, but the fuses have 0 continuity when I check them, hence, they are blowing

#9 8 years ago

There is a short circuit (a connection between hot and neutral) in that gi loop. It doesn't just happen by itself, think about any changes or work you did since it worked last. Check that area first. Get yourself one of these circuit breakers and clip it across the fuse holder.

TE Connectivity W58-XB1A4A-3 Circuit Breaker; Therm; Push; Cur-Rtg 3A; Panel; 1 Pole; Vol-Rtg 250/50VAC/VDC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DECRYG4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_R72owbN4Y1SDF

The one I linked is rated for 3A. Make sure the circuit breaker is rated equal to or less than the correct fuse size. This way you won't burn up a bunch of fuses while troubleshooting.

I usually start by marking the affected sockets under the playfield with blue painters tape so I know where to focus. With the machine off start at one end and try to eliminate anything obvious with a thorough visual inspection like bent tabs, alligator clips, etc. in that gi loop. If you find something suspicious, make that correction only then turn the machine on to test. Don't leave the machine on if it trips, turn it off quick to avoid more serious damage. If you don't find anything obvious, go back and remove the socket and bulb one at a time. Blow the socket out with compressed air, look for something that might have fallen in the socket, etc. Test each time you do this until you isolate the problem.

This has always worked for me in the past. For me it was usually a socket short I caused when replacing a gi bulb. One time I put in a new LED bulb that was longer and had a metal ring around the face which was extending up through the playfield and touching a metal lane divider (took me a while to figure that out!) If you go through each socket thoroughly and still blow a fuse, your problem is in the backbox and I wouldn't know how to help you there.

#10 8 years ago

Thanks. That was very helpful!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lour-gi-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.