(Topic ID: 175098)

Louisville Arcade Expo (March 3-5 2017)

By LouMatt

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PinbotBadge (resized).jpg
    OCbadge (resized).jpg
    FPbadge (resized).jpg
    IMG_0814 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0803 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0786 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0784 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0783 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0778 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0775 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0768 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0755 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0754 (resized).JPG
    AF10 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0817 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0801 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 7 years ago

Happy 2017 - LouArcEx is just 2 months away! Just saw the new flyer on the website and it's AWESOME, I hope posters will be available?

With that said... any word on guest and speaker lineups yet? That just might influence what I might decide to bring.

And speaking of which: what's everyone bringing to share? As for me, we moved to a new place which is more pin-friendly, but still makes getting them out of the house a very weather-dependent (and help available) affair, so no guarantees. But notwithstanding that, the ol' Aerobarge has comfy room for two, so: I could bring my Space Shuttle again but I'd like to have one of those German playfield protectors if so. I also have a newly fixed and shopped player's PinBot I could bring as trade bait - it looks nice, plays great and has the first "Red Shoulder Mod" seen 'round these parts. Only other games that might travel are Old Chicago and Space Station, or maybe even my dialed-in butter-fast Firepower (if I get a pf protector)... but I know other folks had those last year so I don't want to steal anyone's thunder (as if my old games have that kind of cachet, but whatever).

Anyone bringing a Bad Cats... and if so, maybe for sale/trade?

8 weeks to go so let's get this thread party started!

1 week later
    #75 7 years ago

Well yesterday I had a fun experience - mostly the opposite of everyone else here - trying to reserve a room.

Online would not even act as if a rate existed in the first place, let alone have an error at payment.

Tried to call the hotel and never got through. Just rang and rang and rang.

Called the Wyndham National line and they struggled to first find the hotel (as opposed to the Days Inn, Super8, whatever, even though I clearly said RAMADA)... then they couldn't find the rate... then they DID find the rate, but it wouldn't apply... after 10 minutes of helpfully struggling they told me to try the local hotel again.

So I did and the desk answered before the phone even rang, caught me by surprise. They hooked me right up with the $79 rate, got everything booked in 2 minutes.

Crazy! I guess just trying to get a room is like the qualifying pre-game for this year

#85 7 years ago

Yeah, nobody on this forum makes me randomly crack up like Gryszzz. I wonder if I crossed paths last year and didn't realize it? I do tend to lay a bit low myself tho. Would like to try to meet more people this year, seems like there's a lot more going on than meets the eye

1 week later
    #118 7 years ago

Butterflygirl24 (and the rest of the Cincy Pinball Club)'s games rock and are always highlights of the show! Phoebe, don't let me forget to bring that Alley Cats bg...!

Still haven't decided which games to bring. Thinking of trying those new pf protectors from Germany since I have at least one game (Old Chicago) that could use it for cupped inserts... but I'd have to order now to install & tune them for the show.

Incredibly my wife suggested the Firepower I restored since it plays so great, and it was more like Firewood when I got it. Or there's Space Shuttle, Space Station, or Pinbot. (If anyone's looking for a nice playing & decent looking Pinbot, I might consider a sale/trade for the right deal... but I'm hoping to design a new topper and one of my stainless steel speaker panels first).

1 week later
    #136 7 years ago

Is there a place that explains the various tournament formats? I always see terms thrown about and I don't know if they're official, slang, synonymous, or what. Papa.org only seems to explain the tourney schedules and ranking concepts... but not how various formats work.

At the very least, what does "pump and dump" mean and how does it work?

I've attempted to use my entry credits each of my two times visiting... but the tourney process makes zero sense to me, everyone seems so overwhelmed and taking it too seriously, and I'm not terribly great anyway so I don't want to bug anyone. I usually just use a few token entries to try the games that aren't in the free play area, before the waits get too long.

But I dunno. Maybe I'm missing out? Hell, even if I'm only a "C" (or is there a "D") class player, it could be amusing to see just how bad I am.

Unless I'm at the bottom. That would suck. You know what, nevermind!

#139 7 years ago

Wow Chuck, that was *really* helpful. And see, I had no idea that "HERB" was the same thing as pump-and-dump. But that all makes much better sense now. Thank you sir!

It does seem more approachable now. So now the decision is: to queue and stress in the tourney pen for however long, or roam the freeplay floor with my plebe friends all day? Ahh, first world problems...

1 week later
    #153 7 years ago

There's been a Flight 2000 the past two years; I believe that one belongs to the show organizers. It's a nice machine and fun to play!

~~~~~~

There's a Stargazer on the posted list this year!!! Been wanting to see and play one for a long time. Love the artwork; hope the gameplay is just as good. Does that belong to anyone here?

1 week later
    #165 7 years ago

So I placed the order last night, and will be bringing my original Old Chicago, and restored Firepower, with the new German PETG playfield protectors installed, for anyone that might like to see how those work (it will be my first experience with them as well).

Have had a few people express interest in PinBot. As it happens, I've been using it to rough out concepts for a new topper, and a custom speaker panel like what was on my Space Shuttle last year. *IF* <---- and that is a BIG IF - I'm able to get turnaround on the panel prototype in time, AND somehow arrange the logistics to haul 3 games, I might bring PinBot to show off those mods. But no promises there.

In fact, this stupid freakish warm weather we've been having and are predicted to have next week, has me worried that winter will say "Oh wait ha ha hey remember me POW!" just in time for the show, and make getting anything out of the house a non-option. So fingers crossed!

#176 7 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

That's nothin' compared to what we're gonna do to him if it snows for the show this year!!!

Um, so in that case you guys have any requests from the local distilleries down the road? A big ol' bottle o' KY's finest can keep ya warm on those bastardly snowy days Course there's the matter of delivery then but if it comes to that, fine... I'll gladly owe it!

In fact let it be on the record now that I will NOT wash the cars for the rest of the month. And I'll probably seed the lawn a few days prior just to be extra safe!

#184 7 years ago

Speaking of flights... There's probably only one that goes directly from Germany to KY (Cincinnati's carpet bagging airport doesn't count ), but thanks to that these showed up tonight:

20170222_225958 (resized).jpg20170222_225958 (resized).jpg

Hopefully not jinxing myself, but they look a little easier to install than I expected. Can't wait to play Old Chicago without dished inserts. Firepower is a "preserve my work since I used Varathane" play.

And in a week hopefully I'll be packing them up... Can't wait!

#193 7 years ago

There's a few games on my personal "short list" that I might like to acquire if the right ones turned up. But one that my whole family (especially the girls) would enjoy is Bad Cats. Does anyone have a player's or project machine they could bring down? If so please let me know as it would help my planning accordingly

#204 7 years ago

Damn, sounds like an awesome mix of games showing up! Will every random manufacturer be represented this year? I helped a buddy who's a glutton for punishment get into ATARI pins of all damn things (because that's the kind of asshole I am ), and he's bringing the one I found him this year. Interflip, Game Plan, Atari... which stepkids are we missing? ALI?

This is gonna be a great show!

Also, machine shop sent word their laser cutter didn't have issues with a test program of my art layout, so my Pinbot panel *might* be ready on Monday. Despite the logistic headaches, I actually hope so. Would love some feedback on the topper concept in its R&D stage.

Anyone know if that new Pinball beer is available locally? There needs to be a secret cooler of it somewhere.

#206 7 years ago
    Quoted from cburnett11:

I'd like to buy a new sheet of wide body glass if anyone has an extra one and would be willing to bring to the show.

Shoot, I meant to ask if anyone knows if Trent is showing up as usual? He always sells out a huge stack of glass every year, and I need to pick up a few standard sheets yet again. If he is, maybe he could bring a couple WB sheets?

I need to quit spamming this thread. Returning to my Friday Night Beer... Ahh.

#215 7 years ago
    Quoted from VDrums2112:

Weather.com is saying Partly Cloudy and 52 for setup on Thursday... Perfect!

Indeed! Now just hoping the predicted days of rain before then don't turn my yards into a bog, I still gotta offroad the barge to un/load behind the compound... games are otherwise ready to go!

#222 7 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Tony you really need to quit bringing up the weather...

Well crap, if I had that kind of power we wouldn't need to work! Glad you escaped better than last summer. I will hereby shaddap about the... Phenomenon I will no longer even mention by name.

But I have to say, that second pic is SO FREAKING METAL

#237 7 years ago

I have a decent apron from a Gottlieb Spider-Man if anyone needs that.

#250 7 years ago

Just got a photo from the machine shop:

PinbotPanelSample (resized).jpgPinbotPanelSample (resized).jpg

Assuming I can pick it up and figure logistics, I might have my (player's) Pinbot at the show after all! Damn, that means I need to address some rough edges on my topper mockup now too lol. Fingers crossed.

#260 7 years ago
    Quoted from t8tony8t:

Actually the glass is awful and needs to be replaced and my phone sucks.

Sell it to me and I'll be happy to replace the glass and shoot it with a good phone

Anyway... it's not the prettiest machine out there, but having come from what it was it's a respectable project in progress. Matt asked me to bring a PinBot to complete the trilogy (plus BOP 2.0!) expected to be there, so now that I got the panel in hand and installed, I'm happy to oblige. Traversed the backyard bog on a cart around to the garage... just gotta wait for my buddy and his trailer tomorrow. See ya'll there!

PinbotPanelColor (resized).jpgPinbotPanelColor (resized).jpg

#340 7 years ago

Torpedo Alley was a surprise hit for me as well. First time I played I got multiball and the "bbrrrAEEROOONNTGA" (or however you onomatopoeia a Klaxon) blaring out was hilarious and awesome. Also loved hearing its constant random Jaws coda audibly rumbling down the full game aisle as well. Set the GC score and kept going back! It's not a very deep game rules-wise and the upper right flipper is not really aimable, but it's just a stupid goofy silly game - the total fun package with great sound and lights. I was texting the seller about trying to buy it Sunday am but it sold at the same time. Curses.... didn't have space to immediately commit to haul a 6th back after bringing 5 to share.

Speaking of selling... holy crap it seemed nearly every electronic-era game that was for sale, was sold and gone by Sat evening. Did the same person clear everyone out? Bummer that so much left so soon. Seemed like machine count was down overall before then, but it might have been the relocated stage area just making it seem too open. The bands were awesome! But almost too loud, I couldn't hear any of the games while bands were on, even in the furthest rows. Kinda mucked the atmosphere a bit.

BOP 2.0 is amazing (even though it kept having random issues every time I played), that Funhouse was gorgeous, and Interflip Dragon was an incredible surprise hit for sure. Such an astoundingly fast and interesting game. And looked like it was made only yesterday. Whoever took that one home (was there near close Sat but gone at open on Sun) got a hell of a score. Also pleased Star Gazer was every bit as fun as I hoped, even in its beat condition. Loved that one too. Would love to fix it up even more... sigh

My eldest daughter got over 2 mil on Joust and we were all like "HowTF is that even possible" LOL. Thanks Pheobe, Larry & Crew! Great lineup as always! And thanks for confirming my suspicion on Firepower's flipper travel... I improvised a fix for that immediately Sat am. My poor Pinbot never got a break but I'm proud it held up great for over 650 plays, even though the pops kept bouncing the ball and running the energy value to 508K. Did anyone even know it caps the bonus at that point? I didn't!

Glad my games and workmanship held up... and to meet new old friends, make new new ones I hope... help a bunch of folks with random fixes throughout the show... and to play some awesome games. Can't wait for next year!

#349 7 years ago

I noticed the machine gunning slings a couple times, and the flippers got weak on me once but that was Fri or early Sat, probably before you fixed it. I came back later and was doing great, then had to text you when the ball got stuck on the shuttle ramp flasher Sat night. Funny thing was, while waiting hoping for you to respond, every time ball search kicked a locked ball out, I nailed that ramp.... over and over and over...

...Sunday AM the game was in "BOP 1.0" mode, and when I caught it later on in 2.0 I couldn't seem to make the ramp to save my life! Guess she just didn't like me for cheating with the dirty bride across the hall, LOL. But yours was still a fun game, played smooth despite the hangups! Was glad to finally experience the BOP2.0 package.

~~~~

Also neat, was seeing the Dr. Who with the "Wobble Head". Was that a factory unit or one of the aftermarket kits? The serial# was obscured, but the playfield was marked with the diamondplate logo so it might be one of the early factory units... would love to know for sure. It's a fun effect to see from the crowd.

#358 7 years ago

That Ramada is the shiz. LAX has totally outgrown the venue, but they've nowhere else to go that's amenable to all, let alone with the party shack on the grounds. You wanna know how a hotel hosts kickass room parties? When you pass by a room with cigarette butts and lucky charms marshmallows all over the floor outside a door. Talk about a head-scratcher ha ha!

So I loved the metal pins they passed out to exhibitors this year. I decided to turn them into honor badges for my games since they all survived the trial:

OCbadge (resized).jpgOCbadge (resized).jpg

FPbadge (resized).jpgFPbadge (resized).jpg

PinbotBadge (resized).jpgPinbotBadge (resized).jpg

Also, I feel compelled to apologize and mention in my defense, to anyone who might have been disappointed: we ended up on a circuit that had sporadic problems on Friday, but even after they moved us to a more stable one, I kept thinking something seemed off, and the games were slow. I mean... I could swear they were faster at home... or maybe in comparison to actual awesome games from others it turns out mine actually sucked? It was actually kinda embarrassing and bothered me the whole weekend. But then I heard a few other folks mention that something seemed "off" with a few other games.

At any rate, now set up at home I can confirm they DO play faster here. No trouble making distant shots with power to spare. Really, really strange.

It kinda has me hesitant to rate a few games, wondering how badly others might have been affected. Did anybody else notice anything odd?

Next time I will plug the EMs into the battery side of the UPS, see if that helps.

#361 7 years ago
    Quoted from cburnett11:

When I stopped to looked at the game, she asked me to take a pic of her with your game because she liked it so much.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing. Apparently a similarly-styled pic is floating around over Pinbot, which I thought was neat. It's so gratifying to see people enjoying stuff I've fixed.

Quoted from Metalmanmiles:

The old Chicago was really fun as well, where you the one who brought it last year as well?

The one from 2016 was not mine, but I met its owner (vdrums here on pinside) since it was next to my Space Shuttle... it was his OC that put the spell on me to find one. It plays really great with the protector to level the inserts.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/louisville-arcade-expo-march-3-5-2017?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.