(Topic ID: 175098)

Louisville Arcade Expo (March 3-5 2017)

By LouMatt

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PinbotBadge (resized).jpg
    OCbadge (resized).jpg
    FPbadge (resized).jpg
    IMG_0814 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0803 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0786 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0784 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0783 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0778 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0775 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0768 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0755 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0754 (resized).JPG
    AF10 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0817 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0801 (resized).JPG
    There are 371 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 7 years ago
    Quoted from mizary:

Anyone have a link to the final standings? I know the final 4 in mains were the Rosas and Trent and ?, and I know that Trent won. I know they will eventually show up on ifpa site. But I am also curious about the payouts. There was some finals info on https://www.pbchallenge.net/lax/ but the site doesn't seem to be working now. And the YAPSS app only has qualifying info.
    I know 9-16 in Classics finals got $100. And 5-8 in B division got $50.
    What did Trent get for winning? I wonder how much money they took in. Wish you could see voided entries like in the INDISC system. But overall the YAPSS app and system worked great - no issues at all.
    Was a great show. This was the biggest tourney I'd ever played in. I loved the Classics - I'd never played in a Classics tourney before. The main bank chewed me up. Especially that TWD machine. I regret giving up on it. Wish I'd bought at least 3 more entries just so I could have had another chance at that game. I played it 4 times and got 11m 5m 5m and 18m. Had Prison MB lit on TWO of those attempts, once even on ball two and failed to start it. heh. Only had one well walker MB which is how I got my 18m. I am fine with doing poorly on games like Atlantis which I didn't know at all. But TWD? I know I can crush that game.
    And finally thanks to everyone that helped make this tourney happen. The PAPA guys, the score keepers, techs, etc. The show ran smooth as silk and everyone I can in contact with was super nice and helpful. This was the most fun 4 days of pinball in my life. Let's see if pinburgh can top it!

Finals brackets are at the link above. Click results, then finals, then the second "Main A" (the first one is no good). They did not/have not put in any data from the final 4 match. The new software worked well but was a bit hard to navigate through. I was told it was PAPA's proprietary software and this was it's first time being used. A div finishing order was Trent, Rosa Sr., Myself(Chris Warren), Rosa Jr. I don't know the other prizes but 3rd place was $500.

That TWD had zero ball saver and an extremely tight tilt. No wonder scores were so low. I had a 30M score that was like 9th after the first day of qualifying. I eventually got 88M, a score that seems laughable until you realize it was 13th best for the whole weekend of qualifying. They slightly loosened the tilt just before the first round of finals on Saturday night. Players were still giving warnings to the following players.

#352 7 years ago

Thanks to everyone who came out to the 2017 Louisville Arcade Expo. And special thanks to all the game bringers, volunteers, and PAPA folks!

We can't say thanks enough. Without everyone coming together a show like ours wouldn't happen. You guys and gals all rock!

Please support your local shows where ever you are and we'll see you all down the road.

#353 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Does any one happen to know of any one who may have filmed Jacks speech Saturday evening!

That would be the Broken Token podcast (Whitney Roberts was in the room). He typically puts the interviews up on youtube afterwards.

-Jeremy

#354 7 years ago

Had a good time at the event, I'm sure I talked to people on here, but never got any names. Played in the tournament and had one of the worst runs of games of my life, but still almost qualified for B Finals. Played a lot of cool stuff on the floor I'd never seen before. Hit up that Dragon by Interflip. Very interesting game, came back to play it and I guess it had sold. Played a ton of Ready...Aim...Fire! Pretty cool game, getting more and more drawn into the weirder System 80 Gottliebs. Played Dialed In. Still not sure what I think, but definitely shows promise. Maybe if I knew what to do, it would click more, but overall pretty good. Got to play Atlantis finally, even if it was tournament play. Overall had a really good time, left yesterday wishing the event was longer.

#355 7 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I agree 100%. It was my favorite playing game at the show!

I'm glad tyou guys enjoyed it. I blame this show for starting my addiction. Glad to do the same for anybody else.

#356 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballj:

That would be the Broken Token podcast (Whitney Roberts was in the room). He typically puts the interviews up on youtube afterwards.
    -Jeremy

Great thank you!

#357 7 years ago

So the Ramada just called and asked if I would be checking out today.
    Thanks to everyone that brought a machine...esp Madpole for his ACDC and Phoebe's GORGEOUS Fathom. And the Zanzibar dudes who are the coolest cats in KY. Great times!

#358 7 years ago

That Ramada is the shiz. LAX has totally outgrown the venue, but they've nowhere else to go that's amenable to all, let alone with the party shack on the grounds. You wanna know how a hotel hosts kickass room parties? When you pass by a room with cigarette butts and lucky charms marshmallows all over the floor outside a door. Talk about a head-scratcher ha ha!

So I loved the metal pins they passed out to exhibitors this year. I decided to turn them into honor badges for my games since they all survived the trial:

OCbadge (resized).jpgOCbadge (resized).jpg

FPbadge (resized).jpgFPbadge (resized).jpg

PinbotBadge (resized).jpgPinbotBadge (resized).jpg

Also, I feel compelled to apologize and mention in my defense, to anyone who might have been disappointed: we ended up on a circuit that had sporadic problems on Friday, but even after they moved us to a more stable one, I kept thinking something seemed off, and the games were slow. I mean... I could swear they were faster at home... or maybe in comparison to actual awesome games from others it turns out mine actually sucked? It was actually kinda embarrassing and bothered me the whole weekend. But then I heard a few other folks mention that something seemed "off" with a few other games.

At any rate, now set up at home I can confirm they DO play faster here. No trouble making distant shots with power to spare. Really, really strange.

It kinda has me hesitant to rate a few games, wondering how badly others might have been affected. Did anybody else notice anything odd?

Next time I will plug the EMs into the battery side of the UPS, see if that helps.

#359 7 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

So I loved the metal pins they passed out to exhibitors this year. I decided to turn them into honor badges for my games since they all survived the trial:

Your Old Chicago was very nice. On Sunday some random young lady was playing it, seriously looking at all the art, and also taking some pics of the game. When I stopped to looked at the game, she asked me to take a pic of her with your game because she liked it so much.

#360 7 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

That Ramada is the shiz. LAX has totally outgrown the venue, but they've nowhere else to go that's amenable to all, let alone with the party shack on the grounds. You wanna know how a hotel hosts kickass room parties? When you pass by a room with cigarette butts and lucky charms marshmallows all over the floor outside a door. Talk about a head-scratcher ha ha!

Also, I feel compelled to apologize and mention in my defense, to anyone who might have been disappointed: we ended up on a circuit that had sporadic problems on Friday, but even after they moved us to a more stable one, I kept thinking something seemed off, and the games were slow. I mean... I could swear they were faster at home... or maybe in comparison to actual awesome games from others it turns out mine actually sucked? It was actually kinda embarrassing and bothered me the whole weekend. But then I heard a few other folks mention that something seemed "off" with a few other games.
    At any rate, now set up at home I can confirm they DO play faster here. No trouble making distant shots with power to spare. Really, really strange.
    It kinda has me hesitant to rate a few games, wondering how badly others might have been affected. Did anybody else notice anything odd?
    Next time I will plug the EMs into the battery side of the UPS, see if that helps.

I played all 3 of yours in that picture man and they played great! The old Chicago was really fun as well, where you the one who brought it last year as well?

#361 7 years ago
    Quoted from cburnett11:

When I stopped to looked at the game, she asked me to take a pic of her with your game because she liked it so much.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing. Apparently a similarly-styled pic is floating around over Pinbot, which I thought was neat. It's so gratifying to see people enjoying stuff I've fixed.

Quoted from Metalmanmiles:

The old Chicago was really fun as well, where you the one who brought it last year as well?

The one from 2016 was not mine, but I met its owner (vdrums here on pinside) since it was next to my Space Shuttle... it was his OC that put the spell on me to find one. It plays really great with the protector to level the inserts.

#362 7 years ago
    Quoted from CoreyStup:

Glad everyone had a good time! It was a great show and we look forward to 2018!

Yep!! Great time as always!! Thanks to the staff for the hard work in putting the show together!! Thanks to everyone that brought games!! It was an awesome show! (Now to rest up!!)

Phoebe

#363 7 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Yep!! Great time as always!! Thanks to the staff for the hard work in putting the show together!! Thanks to everyone that brought games!! It was an awesome show! (Now to rest up!!)
    Phoebe

How can you rest when that heavy metal band is still playing in your head

#364 7 years ago

Picked up an Atari Tempest video game at the show. Been looking to get one of these fro 5 or 6 years. It's the one game that I dumped plenty O quarters into during my high school years. This was a great show with plenty of great games. Thank you to all who helped make this possible.

#365 7 years ago

It's always disappointing running into violators of expo etiquette.

Any fun stories to share?

My best 2 are from the day I brought my wife and baby:

1: Waiting to play the Initial D pair behind a few people in what was obviously a line for the game. For some reason the concept of queuing up is too hard to fathom for some because people kept walking up the in front of the line thinking they'd have next game or that only the front 2 people were waiting to play, assuming everyone else was just watching. A couple groups towards the front got into it. One guy got up into another guy's face like he wanted to fight... it was stupid! As we eventually made our way to the front, people kept coming up in total confusion about the line for the game!

2: My wife wanted to play Street Fighter 2 with me, so we found one with 2 people playing. One person lost and walked away. Apparently the other guy was trying to get through all the computer opponents single player. I guess that's fine, if it can be done on one credit when people are waiting. I wait a bit with my wife and the guy soon gets KO'ed. Without even turning around, he starts spamming the start button and continues... we walked away frustrated and found SF2 on one of the candy cabs where the campers there were happy to let us step in and play a round together.

1 week later
    #366 7 years ago

Saw a woman playing Sorcerer who thought you had to hit the credit button to get another ball. She stood there and played it for probably 45 minutes as I played other machines around her. Never once catching on that she didn't have the game end nor did her score tally up right. She must have played 200 balls easily. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

#367 7 years ago

Lol. I gotta tell the owner of Sorcerer that!

#368 7 years ago

I was playing Dragon and saw a guy behind me. Offered to play 2 player game with him. He said OK. So I put two games up, played my first ball, then he played his first ball. I played my 2nd ball, the he proceeded to play 3 or 4 balls in a row. Just didn't get the concept....

#369 7 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I was playing Dragon and saw a guy behind me. Offered to play 2 player game with him. He said OK. So I put two games up, played my first ball, then he played his first ball. I played my 2nd ball, the he proceeded to play 3 or 4 balls in a row. Just didn't get the concept....

Haha. I told multiple groups of 3 and 4 people that were taking turns playing one player games that they could play multiplayer games. Each time they first looked at me like I had six heads, then acted like playing a multiplayer game was way beyond their comprehension so they were going to stick with single player games.

1 year later
    #370 5 years ago

We need a new thread for the 2019 show.

I was thinking the advent of the 3/4 size cabinets from arcade1up would lead to people potentially flooding the the show with junk. Are these going to be discouraged? If not, I might save my back and use one as my entry ticket!

Now it would be cool if there was a section of mini cabs in a kids only area (i.e. don't go in the area unless you're with a kid).

#371 5 years ago

Anyone know the status of the tournament. I read that the LAX tourney was no longer on the Stern Pro Circuit. Will there even be a tourney?

There are 371 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/louisville-arcade-expo-march-3-5-2017/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.