(Topic ID: 252690)

Louisville Arcade Expo 2020 (March 6th-8th, 2020)

By CoreyStup

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 348 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Viggin900
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B06C8AE1-8D94-40B3-95D6-E3E82A486CED (resized).jpeg
    D551350D-091C-4BB7-8D13-8B9BB5757DAA (resized).jpeg
    B8D0E98F-3CCD-430B-B112-4395E5CB2215 (resized).jpeg
    20200307_190142 (resized).jpg
    20200307_190123 (resized).jpg
    C57D509D-01FE-4447-BA02-3E71779A8E3A (resized).jpeg
    48AF5F18-6904-4AF8-83B1-FCDF5907DAE3 (resized).jpeg
    20200306_182402 (resized).jpg
    15835515076003230365665186901559 (resized).jpg
    0982CB23-223F-4E15-B1C2-FB3382DCA338 (resized).jpeg
    D964A7B3-DBE8-43CF-937B-0BB99C0840CA (resized).jpeg
    AC046C19-DB85-4BBC-AF96-3153C7BAAA5D (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200306_113752554 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200306_113741555_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200306_113736197_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200306_113719998_BURST001 (resized).jpg
    There are 348 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 4 years ago
    Quoted from Photopin:

By vendors I meant parts, accessories, etc. Like Marco or others

No pinball vendors, i really wanted buy some balls and lights etc. Disappointed. I have to order now.

#302 4 years ago

Yeah those vendors don’t make any money at shows so they stopped coming to most of them.

#303 4 years ago

And the TWIPY for best set design goes to @zmeny....

#304 4 years ago

Thanks to everybody that made this an awesome event, I'll definitely attend next year again. Had a really good time.

Thanks to Brian Eddy and team for being available so long to answer questions, sign goodies that they brought and handed out and just to chat and last but not least for an awesome game. Thanks ZMeny for that spectacular display with Will's tent - it was a blast to play.

Met so many cool people, Ken and Bedi from flip n out stream - you guys rock!
    Also pb undesirables was there and streamed and had a good time.
    There was a Rick and Morty to pay there, a tournament going on and so much more.

I wish I could have attended all 3 days. Next year I'm gonna have a room to be there all days!

#305 4 years ago

Talked to Recbar peeps. R&M from the show is going to Jtown and they have another one on order for Clarksville!

#306 4 years ago
    Quoted from bahbevans:

I made it. And it is at the show.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Ok, that is awesome. Love it.

#307 4 years ago

Only got to the show Sunday, but overall I thought it was pretty good (considering media overwhelming everyone with Coronavirus concerns).
    Got to play Stranger Things and Rick & Morty for the first time. I thought R&M was pretty cool for what little I got to play it. I think I was averaging $.01 per second of ball time. I don't know the game well but I think I perfected that 'off the post-straight down the middle shot'.
    Played both the premium and Pro Stranger Things. Premium looked fantastic with UV and projection...But I don't think I'll ever own one. That demigorgon shot would drive me insane knowing what it's supposed to do and what's nearly impossible to do. I nailed that sucker straight in the mouth about five times and the ball just rimmed out. That's not counting the number of times the ball caromed off other parts.
    I did leave with a better feeling about Elvira, probably because I could hear it a little better. I was also really surprised there was no Willie Wonka there considering it came out since the last Louisville show.
    Overall I left with the feeling that the best new(er) pins out there are Jurassic Park, Deadpool and Beatles.
    The Steamboat Willie homebrew was pretty cool and so was the Tron with color DMD.

#308 4 years ago

Had a really good time at the event. Thanks CoreyStup for putting on the show along with everyone else that helped! Glad I got to play the Prospector today and it really was some good old fashion fun! Whoever’s Attack From Mars that was... BEAUTIFUL. Loved the blue flasher domes with the red? Lights inside. 3D backglass as well. Wow! Thanks to those who helped keep my machine alive this weekend. I can’t remember who gave me the flipper button but without that mine would have been dead until I could order a new one. So thanks for that! Many people got to play because of that!

#309 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

That moment when THE Brian Eddy plays your custom UV game....! He was ever so gracious and shared war stories about tuning UV paint, haha! How awesome! Thanks to chuckwurt for letting me know he was there!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Your Time Fantasy was game of the show for me. Excellent work!

#310 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jmckune:

Had a really good time at the event. Thanks coreystup for putting on the show along with everyone else that helped! Glad I got to play the Prospector today and it really was some good old fashion fun! Whoever’s Attack From Mars that was... BEAUTIFUL. Loved the blue flasher domes with the red? Lights inside. 3D backglass as well. Wow! Thanks to those who helped keep my machine alive this weekend. I can’t remember who gave me the flipper button but without that mine would have been dead until I could order a new one. So thanks for that! Many people got to play because of that!

That was me! No problem at all. Glad I was able to help!

#311 4 years ago
    Quoted from GuiitarMan:

Your Time Fantasy was game of the show for me. Excellent work!

I pretty much only played Rick and Morty and time fantasy. Haha

#312 4 years ago

Checked the plays on Starwars. 609 show plays. I believe I was developing an anxiety disorder. Constantly checking EBD.

The only issues I had were,
    The multiplier drops not resetting.
    The two ball drop target got knocked out of track.
    And then for some reason on Saturday the free play setting on the mpu switched to credit play. Then when I checked it later it was working again. Weird

But everything kept working after that so it was a big win for me. Just wanted them to make it till the end.

#313 4 years ago

This event was the tits. That is all.

#314 4 years ago

Huge props to all involved in the event. So much effort by all, and its certainly appreciated. Amazing weekend!

P.S. The Super Mario Bros in their prime couldn't keep up with the plumbing issues in the mens restroom.

#315 4 years ago

Just here to be the third independence KY pinhead to post in a row! Haha

#316 4 years ago

Good times. Cool to meet a bunch of new peeps. Love expo weekend!

#317 4 years ago
    Quoted from Waderade812:

Checked the plays on Starwars. 609 show plays. I believe I was developing an anxiety disorder. Constantly checking EBD.
    The only issues I had were,
    The multiplier drops not resetting.
    The two ball drop target got knocked out of track.
    And then for some reason on Saturday the free play setting on the mpu switched to credit play. Then when I checked it later it was working again. Weird
    But everything kept working after that so it was a big win for me. Just wanted them to make it till the end.

Thanks for bringing the EBD. I must have played it a dozen times myself. Love that game!

#318 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just here to be the third independence KY pinhead to post in a row! Haha

Small but mighty city.

#319 4 years ago

Awesome show this year! A few changes from the previous year that to me made this a little more special.

Quick notes I thought I would share:
    - Loved the additional room usage for the console areas (didn't feel as crowded)
    - The tournament area w/the 2 stages and the pinball tournament area made it very simple to watch all tournaments going on.
    - Whayne did an awesome job with power, layout, and running a tournament (Clone Whayne?)
    - Phoebe Smith Lifetime achievement award! Well deserved! (and really everyone in the Cinci pinball group deserves a huge thanks for representing)
    - The Beatles Gold w/the audio upgrade rocked, and was my 11 yr old daughter's favorite pinball at the show (woohoo!)
    - My daughter has never played Super Mario Brothers, and we spent at least 2 hours playing it on a Famicom (her new favorite lol). I guess I have kept her from the console world too long.
    - Last but not least, awesome job Corey and Joe for organizing the 10yr event!

#320 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballj:

Awesome show this year! A few changes from the previous year that to me made this a little more special.
    Quick notes I thought I would share:
    - Loved the additional room usage for the console areas (didn't feel as crowded)
    - The tournament area w/the 2 stages and the pinball tournament area made it very simple to watch all tournaments going on.
    - Whayne did an awesome job with power, layout, and running a tournament (Clone Whayne?)
    - Phoebe Smith Lifetime achievement award! Well deserved! (and really everyone in the Cinci pinball group deserves a huge thanks for representing)
    - The Beatles Gold w/the audio upgrade rocked, and was my 11 yr old daughter's favorite pinball at the show (woohoo!)
    - My daughter has never played Super Mario Brothers, and we spent at least 2 hours playing it on a Famicom (her new favorite lol). I guess I have kept her from the console world too long.
    - Last but not least, awesome job Corey and Joe for organizing the 10yr event!

YES!!! ^^^^^ Another great LAX show and it being the 10th anniversary of the show on top of that! Corey, Joe and all their helpers and assistants stepped it up this year! Awesome Job!!
    The layout was nice!! Didn't get majorly crowded in any areas. Except maybe by the main stage and tournament area...It got a little tight and warm down there especially when they had events happening on the stage like the costume contests! I really didn't plan on being down in the tournament area as long as I was LOL! but I ended up doing better than anticipated so I was down there alot! Whayne did a great job running the tournament! I know he had MANY challenges in the process but he managed to pull it off without too many hitches!
    Thanks to everyone who brought games for the show! There were alot of nice games there and congrats to all the collectors who got awards for their games, I don't know them all but I know Tony's UV Time Fantasy got one and it was well deserved he put many hours into it and it looked great! Recbar got one for bringing Rick & Morty they just got and opened for the show. Tony & Corey from Recbar brought a ton of games and they're great guys and enjoy a good party!! 1 of the guys in our group got best DMD for Apollo 13...Corey & Joe really shocked and surprised me with the lifetime achievement award! There are alot of people that should be included in that! Corey said that I was the glue that holds the Cincy group together, if that's true...it's not regular glue it's CRAZY glue!! LOL!!
    Zach & Nicole @ Flippin-N-Out had a great set up and brought a bunch of new Sterns. I know a couple of the show games came home with our group! They had a really cool display for Stranger Things with a UV tent and had Brian Eddy there for a talk and he was super nice and enjoyed talking with him.
    Also it wouldn't be the LAX show without the Fleitz brothers!! They started the show and even though they have stepped back from running it it wouldn't be the same without them there!! Even though now they're more into the party side and get to relax!!

Phoebe

#321 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballj:

I'm glad your daughter enjoyed the game. It's my wife's favorite.

A big shout out to PinWoofer for creating such a wonderful audio upgrade product.

#322 4 years ago

What a great weekend!
    Thank you to everyone involved in putting this together.
    Sorry my Strikes and Spared what the bed. I really wanted it to shine the whole weekend.

#323 4 years ago
    Quoted from MadPole:

What a great weekend!
    Thank you to everyone involved in putting this together.
    Sorry my Strikes and Spared what the bed. I really wanted it to shine the whole weekend.

Thanks for bringing it dude. I think you did a great job.

#324 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phesson:

I just registered my Revenge From Mars for the show. It is in great condition and has had cpu upgrades and the CRT monitor has been recapped and serviced. It is for sale or trade + cash for the rite machine. If you're interested let me know. See you in a couple weeks.

Either I'm blind, or you chose not to bring it. I was a little sad about not getting to play!

#325 4 years ago

Well in a relief to the world in these troubled times, I finally lost my voice, ha! Just had too much fun over the weekend... I apologize to all who had to endure me running my yap but I was also sheepishly amazed at how many people either sought me out or recognized me. It was great to meet all of you. So many awesome folks in pinball and always neat to see old friends and maybe make new ones. Outside of pinball, My kids will probably lean on me to find a Jubeat now, oops... but could always do worse

So glad the Prospector won best EM; I told Joe specifically to seek that one out. And Phoebe's award is surely the most deserved. I was humbled to repeat with another Best of Class award and even more tickled I got to take the winner back home with me this time I'm so glad everyone enjoyed TFUV - it was neat to see the posts on the big LAX screen, and hear folks yell and cheer when they finally got to UV-mode (it's not as easy as it looks)! Personally I almost think Larry saying it plays better than his might be the bigger prize (yes I said that publicly; that's what he gets for setting GC on a game I had for two years within minutes of the show starting, ha ha!)

For me it's both the longest and quickest weekend of the year, but everyone involved does a fantastic job. Corey, Joe, & crew couldn't be kinder, the Fleitzes are always fun to hang with and rep the wierd; Wayne is way too chill for someone in charge of so much; Cincy crew brings the heat (heh!), and Zach and his family were quiet monsters getting their space set up and totally cool. And of course Tony Corey Dave & the Recbar crew are the nicest guys to seek empire domination, ha.

The new floor layout was much improved this year, though I missed the "80's living room" until I discovered it was literally in its own room this time, ha. Great improvement over last year, hopefully machine counts creep up again. As always, can't wait 'til next year...

#326 4 years ago

Really fun show - wish I had to energy to hang out more Sunday but I was exhausted and was facing a 5-hour drive home

Hopefully, I'll get the videos I made edited and uploaded to youtube in the next couple of days.

#327 4 years ago
    Quoted from PocketSnacks:

Either I'm blind, or you chose not to bring it. I was a little sad about not getting to play!

I got a local offer 2 weeks before the show that I couldn't turn down.

#328 4 years ago
    Quoted from pbu:

Really fun show - wish I had to energy to hang out more Sunday but I was exhausted and was facing a 5-hour drive home
    Hopefully, I'll get the videos I made edited and uploaded to youtube in the next couple of days.

Was awesome meeting you and the crew in person! Glad that you made it home safely.

#329 4 years ago

450 plays on Doctor Who. I was able to get it working again... wound wire fell off the motor control board. Doh! At least it made it to Sunday morning before it broke.

#330 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

450 plays on Doctor Who. I was able to get it working again... wound wire fell off the motor control board. Doh! At least it made it to Sunday morning before it broke.

Thank you so much for bringing that! The only game that no matter how loud it is at the show, you hear the Dalek screaming lol.

Btw, it was your Tron Pro I bought off you that won the "Best Modern Pinball award". I feel you deserve some credit for that!

#331 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballj:

Thank you so much for bringing that! The only game that no matter how loud it is at the show, you hear the Dalek screaming lol.
    Btw, it was your Tron Pro I bought off you that won the "Best Modern Pinball award". I feel you deserve some credit for that!

I was able to play it once, fell a little short of SOS, just needed Gem. Thanks for bringing it! I think it was the last Tron ever made... has high serial #.

#332 4 years ago

I am just curious, with this show being held just under the wire before
    nearly all gatherings and events have been de facto cancelled or postponed.
    How was the turn out for the show compared to normal years?

Reading back thru the last few pages of the thread
    it appears the show was very successful and greatly enjoyed.

And also curious
    how many show goers contracted the C-19 virus
    (hopefully none)
    or some other normal malady?

#333 4 years ago

Only Corey can speak to that. I know that this year at pincinnati the attendance seemed way down and when we ran the numbers they were actually up 30%. So every year will have a difference cadence to when people decide to show up and how long they stay.

Saturday was packed in the afternoon that’s for sure. Any new game you wanted to play you had to wait at least 1-2 games.

I never felt the place was dead at any point. Line almost out the door for the first few hours of Friday at show open.

#334 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I am just curious, with this show being held just under the wire before
    nearly all gatherings and events have been de facto cancelled or postponed.
    How was the turn out for the show compared to normal years?
    Reading back thru the last few pages of the thread
    it appears the show was very successful and greatly enjoyed.
    And also curious
    how many show goers contracted the C-19 virus
    (hopefully none)
    or some other normal malady?

Very thankful this event beat the whole freak out phase. Lets hope none of us caught anything, haha. Props to whoever managed to keep all the Dr Mario sanitizer stations fully stocked. Pleasantly surprised they could be found anywhere you looked, and were always fully stocked.

#335 4 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

Very thankful this event beat the whole freak out phase. Lets hope none of us caught anything, haha. Props to whoever managed to keep all the Dr Mario sanitizer stations fully stocked. Pleasantly surprised they could be found anywhere you looked, and were always fully stocked.

Corey was doing it each time I saw them replenished! Huge thanks to all of the sanitizer stations!

#336 4 years ago

I think LAX has provided sanitizer stations in past years too; LAX happens during flu season after all. Staff does a great job keeping them filled! (Ramada staff could take a lesson for Men's room upkeep, tho).

As for attendance, I am by no means an official source but when the show ended and we were loading out, I asked Corey if I could have one of the "general public" passes since they featured cool NES-game-box inspired art. He discovered they finally sold out just a couple hours before show end and they started issuing alternate passes. Which is a great problem to have! But he admitted they made fewer than from 2019. I don't know the delta, or if they sold enough "other" passes to equate the difference.

Agree the show never felt slow per se but *to me* the traffic did seem lighter. But that might owe to significant changes made to the floor plan which greatly enhanced crowd flow and reduced choke points. Even so, I've been attending since 2015 (bringing games since 2016) and anecdotally Sat from 3-7pm was always a crush time of "nowhere to move in areas / getting stuffy in here / 2-3 round waits on popular games"... and that most decidedly did not happen this year. Waits were generally short to non existent throughout the show (except R&M ha ha). Heard lots of casual conversation among participants and repeat attendees if things seemed lighter or not and opinions were decidedly mixed. It's hard to say for sure... but either way it seems like the show was a success.

Which is great because Covid19 trepidation was on everyone's mind right from setup. KY announced its first confirmed cases that Saturday, traced to Louisville, and by Sunday the mood among folks was beginning to change. In the week leading up to LAX, what with the statistics and panic buying setting in, I'd been saying that however questionable my own attendance might have been, it was probably going to be one of the last "big events" of any sort for a while. I had no idea how on the wire it would prove to be! The show ended Sunday; by Wednesday the Governor implored Churches to cancel services; on Thursday school districts throughout the state were announcing immediate closures; on Friday large agencies began essentially shutting or curtailing access... and so on to now.

In hindsight LAX seems like the buzzer beating end of an era. I've no regrets for attending and come what may, I will continue to support Corey and everyone else involved with the show as much as I can in the future. I hope everyone stays healthy and secure and we have a great return in 2021.

#337 4 years ago

I would like to start out by saying that if the goal was to reach the same attendance each year consistently, you guys are doing a great job. There is a large chunk of attendees that only came for the PAPA tournaments in years past. That has seemed to morph into something else entirely and the show is better because of it. The tournaments were great fun this year and I would play in them again. I don't really care for those "Herb style", pump and dump, rebuy tournaments and stopped playing in them years ago. Tournaments that immediately start with groups of players at the start are a lot more fun. There is always room for improvement but considering the environment, Whayne, Jeremy, and others helping keep the games running, all did a great job. Bringing the tournaments back this year was great and I hope they continue.

#338 4 years ago

I think LAX has provided sanitizer stations in past years too; LAX happens during flu season after all. Staff does a great job keeping them filled! (Ramada staff could take a lesson for Men's room upkeep, tho).
    As for attendance, I am by no means an official source but when the show ended and we were loading out, I asked Corey if I could have one of the "general public" passes since they featured cool NES-game-box inspired art. He discovered they finally sold out just a couple hours before show end and they started issuing alternate passes. Which is a great problem to have! But he admitted they made fewer than from 2019. I don't know the delta, or if they sold enough "other" passes to equate the difference.
    Agree the show never felt slow per se but *to me* the traffic did seem lighter. But that might owe to significant changes made to the floor plan which greatly enhanced crowd flow and reduced choke points. Even so, I've been attending since 2015 (bringing games since 2016) and anecdotally Sat from 3-7pm was always a crush time of "nowhere to move in areas / getting stuffy in here / 2-3 round waits on popular games"... and that most decidedly did not happen this year. Waits were generally short to non existent throughout the show (except R&M ha ha). Heard lots of casual conversation among participants and repeat attendees if things seemed lighter or not and opinions were decidedly mixed. It's hard to say for sure... but either way it seems like the show was a success.
    Which is great because Covid19 trepidation was on everyone's mind right from setup. KY announced its first confirmed cases that Saturday, traced to Louisville, and by Sunday the mood among folks was beginning to change. In the week leading up to LAX, what with the statistics and panic buying setting in, I'd been saying that however questionable my own attendance might have been, it was probably going to be one of the last "big events" of any sort for a while. I had no idea how on the wire it would prove to be! The show ended Sunday; by Wednesday the Governor implored Churches to cancel services; on Thursday school districts throughout the state were announcing immediate closures; on Friday large agencies began essentially shutting or curtailing access... and so on to now.
    In hindsight LAX seems like the buzzer beating end of an era. I've no regrets for attending and come what may, I will continue to support Corey and everyone else involved with the show as much as I can in the future. I hope everyone stays healthy and secure and we have a great return in 2021.

I wouldn’t have gone. Don’t blame people who did.

My last location pinball game was a week ago today. Was already feeling uneasy about it.

#339 4 years ago

I am glad the virus impact on the show (attendance) was minimal and it appears to have been a success.
    But statistically curious if a show of this size and bringing in people from I assume a 3 hr drive radius;
    what effect (if any) it had on the spread of the virus, especially on the cusp of the beginning of
    this global pandemic. I am hopefully that it will all be minimal, especially if people followed the guidelines
    of no handshaking and frequent use of purell and hand-washing, and most importantly
    if someone was starting to feel a bit under the weather they self isolated and stayed home.

#340 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My last location pinball game was a week ago today. Was already feeling uneasy about it.

It was a really weird debate to have with one's self. For me, it came down to:

- I put a lot of effort into prep for the show, and mine was minimal compared to others. It's one of the few "fun" weekends my whole family stone-etches on the calendar...

vs...

- We do a LOT of travel. My wife and I both work for public agencies. My kids are in school. We'd been to Lexington and Louisville for tournaments and (non-Covid) Costco runs amidst the pre-panic... A good friend of ours had been in China just before the Wuhan deal blew up... I pretty much took the impression that Murphy's law meant we or our friends had already been exposed to community spread, probably, so one more big weekend we'd all prepared for and needed to support wouldn't make the difference "at that time, on that particular weekend".

I equipped my family with personal hand sanitizers (small clip-on bottles) and used them liberally throughout the show. Drank enough myself to force a hand-wash bathroom break every hour, ha. But you can only do so much.

But it was all very much day by day. Had LAX been scheduled a week later, I doubt we would have gone. Amazing how quickly emotions and opinions can change.

On that note: my 15yo daughter was prepaid for a big trip to NYC with her high school band. Trip was supposed to be Apr 2-6. Over a grand paid months ago and to her this was biger than Christmas for anticipation. Last Monday, Mar 9 (after LAX!) the big parent / tour operator meeting was held. The operator rep assured us "...I've been doing this over 30 years and NYC *NEVER* shuts down. We ran tours during 9/11. A specific venue closes, we find another. Understand, your deposit has already been forwarded to all the itinerary venues, shows, restaurants, hotels, etc and cannot be obtained. So we WILL be there on Apr 2.... it would take an unprecedented act beyond 9/11 to change that, at which point we'll have to figure it out at that time." 3 days later the school cancelled all events including the trip, and a few days later NYC began its own shut down (including trip venues).

I imagine things are "being figured out now".

So how are things in NYC truly at this point, Levi? People still "pfft WTF is the drama about" or starting to take things more pensively? I can't imagine the logistics of enforcing quarantine and supply chains up there. People still need to work, eat... I imagine cabin fever in the apt towers endears neighbors even more than usual LOL....

#341 4 years ago

- I put a lot of effort into prep for the show, and mine was minimal compared to others. It's one of the few "fun" weekends my whole family stone-etches on the calendar...
    vs...
    - We do a LOT of travel. My wife and I both work for public agencies. My kids are in school. We'd been to Lexington and Louisville for tournaments and (non-Covid) Costco runs amidst the pre-panic... A good friend of ours had been in China just before the Wuhan deal blew up... I pretty much took the impression that Murphy's law meant we or our friends had already been exposed to community spread, probably, so one more big weekend we'd all prepared for and needed to support wouldn't make the difference "at that time, on that particular weekend".
    I equipped my family with personal hand sanitizers (small clip-on bottles) and used them liberally throughout the show. Drank enough myself to force a hand-wash bathroom break every hour, ha. But you can only do so much.
    But it was all very much day by day. Had LAX been scheduled a week later, I doubt we would have gone. Amazing how quickly emotions and opinions can change.
    On that note: my 15yo daughter was prepaid for a big trip to NYC with her high school band. Trip was supposed to be Apr 2-6. Over a grand paid months ago and to her this was biger than Christmas for anticipation. Last Monday, Mar 9 (after LAX!) the big parent / tour operator meeting was held. The operator rep assured us "...I've been doing this over 30 years and NYC *NEVER* shuts down. We ran tours during 9/11. A specific venue closes, we find another. Understand, your deposit has already been forwarded to all the itinerary venues, shows, restaurants, hotels, etc and cannot be obtained. So we WILL be there on Apr 2.... it would take an unprecedented act beyond 9/11 to change that, at which point we'll have to figure it out at that time." 3 days later the school cancelled all events including the trip, and a few days later NYC began its own shut down (including trip venues).
    I imagine things are "being figured out now".
    So how are things in NYC truly at this point, Levi? People still "pfft WTF is the drama about" or starting to take things more pensively? I can't imagine the logistics of enforcing quarantine and supply chains up there. People still need to work, eat... I imagine cabin fever in the apt towers endears neighbors even more than usual LOL....

I can’t speak for all New Yorkers. I’ve been pretty much self quarantined since Thursday. Haven’t eaten out or gotten together with friends. Have done a little shopping and taken some bike rides around town.

It’s quieter for sure. I’m sure this week is a new thing; we still had plenty of tourist stragglers trying to pretend things are normal but that’s over after yesterday. Most people I talk to are taking this seriously. Everything closed tomorrow.

Just hunkering down. Seems like a snow day so far. Cooking at home. Cleaning up a lot. I’m sure it’ll get old but so far hasn’t been so bad. Have had zero trouble with shopping / supplies so far.

The kids are obviously the last ones to get the fucking point; they were crowding some bars over the weekend. I think reality is going to set in with everybody within a day or so.

#342 4 years ago

This is how we felt about it also...but we really didn't anticipate it getting this bad!!

Phoebe

#343 4 years ago

I had to work part of the weekend but stopped by Sunday for a couple hours.. the show was as busy on a Sun afternoon as I'd ever seen it. Played a lot of games, didn't worry too much about the virus, no real ill effects (couple days of typical post-show sniffles but that's it). Don't think the virus was an attendee. Congrats on squeezing in the last show of the spring season, Corey!

#344 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A week ago today, so you have been playing public pinball more recently than the show was...

To be honest...the virus, or at least not attending the show because of it, didn't even cross my mind. I have been watching news on the virus since before it left Wuhan, but it didn't really seem like an "it's here!" issue until last Wednesday to me. I actually talked with an old co-worker about hitting the pub this Thursday to watch the NCAA tourney kick off. That was about 1pm......by 5pm that day the virus mood had drastically changed. No reason to wonder about that any longer....the tourney is off and the pub is closed.

#345 4 years ago

It seems like if people were exposed at the show, it would start showing up about now. Hopefully any cases will be shared here to educate us who were at the show.

#346 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

It seems like if people were exposed at the show, it would start showing up about now. Hopefully any cases will be shared here to educate us who were at the show.

I read 2 weeks , but then again, I read lots of things. Truly hope no one got sick. Epic event.

11 months later
    #347 3 years ago

Hard to believe it's been exactly a year since lax 2020.
    Had such a blast and made some new friends.
    Bringing a game and talking and hanging out
    with other "Collectors" was awesome.
    Here's to seeing everyone next year in 2022.

#348 3 years ago

I'll never forget the first case in Indiana showed up that same week and all the people constantly washing their hands in the bathroom and freaking out. Understandable for what we were told.

There are 348 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/louisville-arcade-expo-2020-march-6th-8th-2020/page/7?hl=t8tony8t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.