2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbaumle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

All of my dads pins took water to about half way up the playfields. Anyone have experience with flooded pins? Is there any saving a playfield that got wet?

#2 2 years ago

I would unplug the game, raise the playfield and place a dehumidifier in the cabinet ASAP. You still might end up with the damage association with the expansion and contraction of the wood. However drying it out quickly might limit rusting. That sucks. What games were they?

#4 2 years ago

F-14
    Data East Simpsons
    Rocky & Bullwinkle
    Teachers Pet
    Williams World Cup
    Sky Kings
    Time Warp

#7 2 years ago

sorry to hear this man the whole situation sucks. i would def open them all up and start letting them dry out. maybe put a fan in each.

#8 2 years ago

I don't know the best way of preventing damage, but I own a game that was in a flood to the mid backbox and it is in surprisingly good shape. It is on location now doing fine. I'm guessing they opened it up quickly and dried it out. My point is to not lose hope. They'll never be the same, but all is probably not lost. Best of luck!

#9 2 years ago

The only SS machines I've worked on were a couple of Williams system 6/7, so I'm not familiar with those machines. It depends a lot on how much electronics got wet. The water should have been mostly fresh, so you won't get as much corrosion as with salt water. I agree with others to open them up and get everything dry before doing anything else. With the flooding you described, you might not have power yet for A/C or dehumidifiers, but open them up anyway.

It also depends a lot on how long they sat in the water as to how much the cabinets will want to delaminate (plywood) or crumble (presswood), but that should become apparent fairly quickly.

#10 2 years ago

There is a product called damp rid available at hardware stores.it rocks. I would place tupperwares inside the games and perhaps one for the room as well. Good luck! My thoughts go out to your community!!

#11 2 years ago

I has three games flood in 2010. TZ, DM, and GnR. The water didn't get up to the playfields, but came pretty close. I left all the pins off for a while until they were completely dry. They all cleaned up great and didn't really have a major impact other than the bottom particle board needed replacing and a lot of cleanup in the cabinets.

#12 2 years ago

Thank you all for the advice. Going to try to save them if I can.

#13 2 years ago

I've had plenty of experience with flood/fire damaged pins.

First thing is to remove all the light bulbs from their sockets and unplug all connectors. This gives a chance to get the water out of them. Trapped water will corrode the sockets and connectors.

Prop the playfield all the way up against the headbox so the cabinet has plenty of ventilation to dry out.

Now get out a hair dryer and start drying off the playfield with forced warm air.

Set a desk fan in the cabinet to help dry it out.

The key to saving any flood damaged machine is to get it dry right away. I've saved a Williams EarthShaker that was completely underwater all the way over the headbox and today you'd never know it was in a flood.

#14 2 years ago

Contact PAPA in PA.
    They will help you.
    They have the experience in this area you need right now.

Get them in a dry area with light heat, no humidity, and air circulation.

#15 2 years ago

Good advice from both Ken and Black Knight.

http://papa.org/about-papa/papa-flood/

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I've had plenty of experience .... completely underwater all the way over the headbox and today you'd never know it was in a flood.

Amazing!

Does anyone have any hints for what to do in preparation for a possible flood? I've collected my pins since last time we flooded about two years ago. I've had it flooded twice in the 15 years I've lived here, I live on the Anclote River in holiday Florida and neither time did the water come up above my knee. So I think the games would've been safe, I suppose I could put a plastic bag over the legs or something, but does anybody have any experience with this?

-b

#17 2 years ago

Putting a wet phone in rice seems to help suck moisture out. Wonder if you could do the same to help water from seeping too far into the wood?

#18 2 years ago

Like pour rice inside a machine? I'd like to see pictures of that...

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from bdPinball:

More so for the playfield, but all the wood. People use flour to get rid of adhesive after pulling off mylar

#20 2 years ago

Dude, i would vomit...

#21 2 years ago

I'm so sad for the folks in Louisiana.

I hope the pins get saved... And easily

#22 2 years ago

I know this will be of no help, but I am pretty sure that Time Warp having gotten wet will warp over time.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTiger225:

Thank you all for the advice. Going to try to save them if I can.

I bought a Mystic off a guy in Lavalette, NJ that got flooded in Hurricane Sandy. The water went up into the cab right below the playfield, but it was far enough to rust some of the bulb sockets, pop brackets, etc. There is a group of us on here that bought some of his games, and keep each other updated with info and the resto process. Check out the thread below...Vid1900 offered some good tips for dealing with this stuff, especially if they don't get aired out in time and you start to see oxidation or rust.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superstorm-sandy-fathom-lucky-or-stupid

Good luck and God speed. Sorry to hear about the situation down there...very unfortunate.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from bdPinball:

Silica gel would probably work better. It's reusable and reasonably cheap to buy in bulk at a craft store.

#25 2 years ago

Dry area with light heat, no humidity, and air circulation.

You have to get the baseline going first.

Pouring rice in a cabinet is not going to do much.
    Pouring flour in a cabinet is just plain stupid.

There are plenty of commercial products that can be used to absorb moisture, but the best way is naturally, to avoid quick over drying and cracking.

1 week later
    #26 2 years ago

I just avoid a flooding incident, and this wasn't the first. I live on a river that is prone to flooding, so I'm going to have to figure something out for future issues.

I'm going to start a new thread regarding this flooding prevention topic, or, ways to sandbag, or I don't know what. I had all my games stacked on top of each other, and spent the whole time praying for no more rain.

-Brian

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from bdPinball:

I just avoid a flooding incident, and this wasn't the first. I live on a river that is prone to flooding, so I'm going to have to figure something out for future issues.
    I'm going to start a new thread regarding this flooding prevention topic, or, ways to sandbag, or I don't know what. I had all my games stacked on top of each other, and spent the whole time praying for no more rain.
    -Brian

There are actually three simple solutions to your problem without make an entire thread.
    1) Elevate your home on stilts
    2) Build a loft area in your home or move machines to the second floor
    2) Move to a new home

Having pinball machines on a first floor or basement in a flood zone area = waiting disaster.
    It is going to happen, sooner than later, and there is no way you can move a large collection fast enough.

I once lived in Long Beach, MS near Gulfport while working with the US Navy Seabees.
    I resided on the top 3rd floor of an apartment building with over 25 pinball machines.
    Floods arrived (repeatedly), parking lot went underwater (8-10 feet), including all first floor apartments.
    My machines were untouched.

Fortunately, I left before Hurricane Katrina blasted the area again.
    However, I actually was part of the reconstruction efforts with the US Army Corps of Engineers.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I resided on the top 3rd floor of an apartment building with over 25 pinball machines.

My guess is that your friends never volunteered to help you move again, lol.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

My guess is that your friends never volunteered to help you move again, lol.

The US Army knew me as the "pinball guy". It's not just the games, it's parts, playfields, projects, and the rest. There were broken steps on that move. They moved me for over two decades, but the games did not always go with me.

Just part of the hobby, but not necessarily a conducive one to my first career.

#30 2 years ago

+1 for the damp rid. it works great. Good luck on the salvage.

#31 2 years ago

I keep a little bucket of Damp Rid in the cabinets behind the coin door of most of my games, just as a principle for extra insurance. I keep my games in my basement, which always has a dehumidifier running anyway.

One concern with damp rid is that it isn't terribly fast acting, and not efficient at all. It's really just calcium chloride--the same stuff some people use to melt ice in their driveways. Nothing special. It's highly water soluble, and we use it in our laboratories in special containers called "desiccators" to "hyper dry" components that are highly sensitive to water.

Forced warm air in a room with a couple dehumidifiers running is probably going to be the best way to get the moisture out quickly, and use damp rid buckets in the games for a long term slow acting dehumidifying technique.

Best of luck, PinballTiger.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 134.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    £ 58.00
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 8,500.00
    $ 59.99
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 14.95
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 5,799.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside