Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Nokoro
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

The shaker motor that I just installed on my Star Trek Pro makes a loud noise during Klingon multiball. Almost like a rattling. It makes the usual bass rumble for hitting normal targets outside of multiball. Is this normal? Much thanks!

#2 9 years ago

It probably runs for longer duration during Klingon Multiball, which is why you only notice the rattle then. There are a hand full of things that can cause a rattle; first thing I'd check is if your model shaker has the threaded rod that extends over the top of the shaker motor to tighten the bracket, tighten it a bit and see if the rattle goes away. If you tighten too far, the shake will be reduced, so find the sweet spot.

#3 9 years ago

Thank you! I just tightened the rod, and the rattle noticeably seems to be less. I need to reach Klingon multiball a few more times (with the glass on) to make sure.

#4 9 years ago

I just installed mine and noticed if I do the shaker test in Diagnostics, there's a loud rattle after the motor ramps up to full speed (i.e. the shaker test spins it hard for about 3 seconds and it rattles for the last second or so).

It turned out to be the balls in the trough; I took them out and re-did the test and it was fine. Normally during play there's no problem, but sometimes when the shaker is going nuts like on "victory laps" after winning Vengeance Multiball it rattles (depending on how many balls are still in play).

I guess this is normal? This is my first shaker but I've never seen anyone mention balls in the trough rattling.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

I just installed mine and noticed if I do the shaker test in Diagnostics, there's a loud rattle after the motor ramps up to full speed (i.e. the shaker test spins it hard for about 3 seconds and it rattles for the last second or so).
It turned out to be the balls in the trough; I took them out and re-did the test and it was fine. Normally during play there's no problem, but sometimes when the shaker is going nuts like on "victory laps" after winning Vengeance Multiball it rattles (depending on how many balls are still in play).
I guess this is normal? This is my first shaker but I've never seen anyone mention balls in the trough rattling.

Yes. The exact same thing keeps happening to me. You described it perfectly. While it has lessened as a result of tightening the bolt, there is still a rattle. To me it seems to come from the right side of the cabinet. I am going to put it in test mode and see if I can track it down more precisely.

#6 9 years ago

So I just tested it, and I think the balls in the trough are definitely contributing to the rattle. But even with them out, there seems to be a bit of the rattle from the right side of the playfield. I guess it is manageable. I'll have to play some games and see how it goes with most of the balls out of the trough in multiball mode.

Is there any fix for the balls rattling in the trough?

Roo, have you tried tightening the bolt? I tightened mine as much as I could, and it is definitely better.

#7 9 years ago

Further update from me. When I am playing a game, the rattle gets worse. I tracked it down, and it is the glass. I guess I'll get some tape to line the sides of the glass with.

2 weeks later
#8 9 years ago

So I got the glass to stop rattling with duct tape. But I am still getting a slight whining sound during the longer vibrations associated with Klingon multiball and Vengeance victory laps. Not during the shorter vibrations associated with making shots. I oiled the shaker but it didn't help. Is this just something I have to live with, or is there a fix? Alternatively, it would be nice if there was a way to shorten the vibrations during Klingon multiball etc. especially with the whine, I don't need the longer vibrations.

#9 9 years ago

If you can't stand the whine (and I couldn't) you could try reversing the wires on the motor. This involves removing the shaker from the cab and using a soldering iron to remove and reverse the wires. On mine running the motor backwards like this fixed the whine when everything else was only a temporary fix.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

If you can't stand the whine (and I couldn't) you could try reversing the wires on the motor. This involves removing the shaker from the cab and using a soldering iron to remove and reverse the wires. On mine running the motor backwards like this fixed the whine when everything else was only a temporary fix.

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion, but what a pain in the neck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/loud-noise-from-shaker-motor-during-klingon-multiball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.