• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by newmantjn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 4Max.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

Hi Reyab,

I've had a couple of these buzzing relays.

First step I would advise is to search "relay buzzing" in the EM forum and just select Topics. You'll get 6 hits straight away with good advice.

Of course I cannot help myself and will now add some advice too:

1. is it supposed to be locked on? If not, then you have something that needs fixing before you leave the machine turned on for longer than a few seconds.

2. If it is supposed to me on all the time (e.g. "lock" relay), then a couple of things: you can clean the actuator plate and the coil - they often create a sticky connection over time and can be fixed with gentle fine sandpaper getting them both back to smooth to the touch. Sometimes the mechanism is slightly out - meaning the spring maybe to tight (rare), or if its a relay that opens a "gate" that the wire connected to the physical gate is not seated just quite right.

Hope that helps.

#7 6 years ago

Hi Reyab,

Yep, there a lots of new words I had to learn with EMs

I did not mean to the "that guy" who says RTFM (hence why I added a couple of suggestions), but thought there was lots of good stuff under "buzzing"

You prob know this, but the Alternator relay is usually used to switch things like rollovers and pop bumpers (and their corresponding lamps). So yes in many cases it will stay on for a while, at least until you hit/complete whatever it is that releases it again,

Personally I would remove the actuator plate, clean it up, clean where it sits, clean up the coil - check the plate is not magnetized (that can happen) by touching a non-magnetized (yes, I stupidly misled myself here once) piece of metal to it. If it is, you can get rid of the magnetic effect by a couple of sharp taps from a hammer. Check the spring is right size. You can always stretch the spring a little so it "pulls" less , but I see any physical change to original as last resort - these things usually work once cleaned and adjusted, even after 50 years.

good luck

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 4Max.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/loud-humming-relay?tu=4Max and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.