Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I recently purchased an AMH and noticed that mine has a fairly loud buzzing or whining noise coming from underneath the playfield. I think it is the fan for the power supply but was wondering if anyone knew. I'm curious. I also wanted to make sure that this is normal and that I don't have something wrong with mine. I'm confident that that there isn't but just wanted to make sure. None of the other machines that I have make this noise so I just thought it a bit odd.

#2 7 years ago

Pretty normal, it's the power supply.

4 weeks later
#3 7 years ago

Have no worries,mine is loud enough to make sure you know it's on from a distance.
Mike

3 months later
#4 7 years ago

Has anyone replaced the fan with a more quiet one?

#5 7 years ago

Yeah I'd just swap it out with something even more powerful and less noisy.

#6 7 years ago

Or just leave it, its just a fan noise. It cant be heard over pinball being played or a tv, plus now if you don't hear it you know there is a issue.

4 months later
#7 6 years ago

The noise drove me bananas. I replaced with a fanless version. Same output amps. Much better!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

That power supply is noisy. We ordered a few accidentally when mixing up the part number. We use the SP-320-48

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Atlgills:

The noise drove me bananas. I replaced with a fanless version. Same output amps. Much better!

Awesome! Was it just plug&play and what was the cost?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Atlgills:

What did you buy?

Have you replaced the whole PC part?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

What did you buy?

It appears that he replaced the stock power supply SE-600-48 ($75) with an HLG-600H-48A ($170), but Aaron @ FAST says that is noisy? The stock one has a noise rating of 200mVp-p and the replacement is rated at 250mVp-p

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

The stock one has a noise rating of 200mVp-p and the replacement is rated at 250mVp-p

That's electrical noise, not audible noise. The HLG-600H-48A is fanless.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That's electrical noise, not audible noise. The HLG-600H-48A is fanless.

Correct - I thought Aaron was referring to electrical noise and saw the difference in the specs. The more expensive one should be damn near silent.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

It appears that he replaced the stock power supply SE-600-48 ($75) with an HLG-600H-48A ($170), but Aaron @ FAST says that is noisy? The stock one has a noise rating of 200mVp-p and the replacement is rated at 250mVp-p

It is possible be that the specific power supply in question is just needing replacement and is EXTRA noisy.

What I found with the SE-600-48 is that the fan would get louder when it was under active use. Switching power supplies don't love a pinball environment right out of the box. This is why we created the FAST Power Filter Board, so that off the shelf HV switching supplies would be happier in a pinball machine. The SP-320-48 we use is what Stern uses in some of the Spike machines I have seen.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#15 6 years ago

What did you buy?

I simply replaced the original 600w (12.5amp) power supply with the ultra noisy fan with a model that is fanless with the same output specs. I did have to mount two terminal blocks for the 120v supply voltage and 48v output voltages. I think that is better that wire nuts or butt connectors. It looks like I could have gone with a smaller (and cheaper) 320w unit instead ;(. Oh well, it works very well and at least it stays cool with the small load on it!

The only noise I hear now is noise from the speakers. This noise is very minuscule and does not bother me like the fan noise. Sounds like unfiltered signal from amp. Its on its own power supply so cant blame the new hardware. I suspect its always been that way. Just couldn't hear it over the ready for lift off old power supply fan!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Atlgills:

I simply replaced the original 600w (12.5amp) power supply with the ultra noisy fan with a model that is fanless with the same output specs. I did have to mount two terminal blocks for the 120v supply voltage and 48v output voltages. I think that is better that wire nuts or butt connectors. It looks like I could have gone with a smaller (and cheaper) 320w unit instead ;(. Oh well, it works very well and at least it stays cool with the small load on it!
The only noise I hear now is noise from the speakers. This noise is very minuscule and does not bother me like the fan noise. Sounds like unfiltered signal from amp. Its on its own power supply so cant blame the new hardware. I suspect its always been that way. Just couldn't hear it over the ready for lift off old power supply fan!

Interesting as RZ has same SE 600 48 unit and very noisy. Quite tempted to get the HLG Fanless.

The SP 320 48 that Stern use in Spike is also quite noisy!

What do you mean when you say , mounting terminal blocks? This is not my area - I just don't like noisy fans

#17 6 years ago

Interesting as RZ has same SE 600 48 unit and very noisy. Quite tempted to get the HLG Fanless.
The SP 320 48 that Stern use in Spike is also quite noisy!
What do you mean when you say , mounting terminal blocks? This is not my area - I just don't like noisy fans

I used one of these for input power and one for output power. They supplied a good solid termination for the wires since this model didn't have the wire terminals built on the power supply like the noisy one did. It comes with pig tales and bare wires. The HLG-600H-48A is built for LED system power and has an RC dimming capability that you are not used in this application.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Atlgills:

I used one of these for input power and one for output power. They supplied a good solid termination for the wires since this model didn't have the wire terminals built on the power supply like the noisy one did. It comes with pig tales and bare wires. The HLG-600H-48A is built for LED system power and has an RC dimming capability that you are not used in this application.

Looks good.

Shame these weren't factory but they are a lot more money so can see why they weren't.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Atlgills:

Be sure to cover that terminal block w/ AC coming in. Don't want to accidentally drop a screw or other bare metal object across it. The results are shocking!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/loud-fan-on-amh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.