Loud buzzing out of speakers when turned on

By vivagolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I have a Tommy pinball and have had it for the last 13yrs. It has worked fine except for a few minor problems. Now when I turn it on I get a loud buzzing sound out of the speakers. All the lights turn on but you can't start the game.
Any help would be deeply appreciated
Thank you,
vivagolf

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from vivagolf:

I have a Tommy pinball and have had it for the last 13yrs. It has worked fine except for a few minor problems. Now when I turn it on I get a loud buzzing sound out of the speakers. All the lights turn on but you can't start the game.
Any help would be deeply appreciated
Thank you,
vivagolf

Did you try reseating any ribbon cables or look for blown fuses?

#3 11 years ago

Did check fuses but not reseating cable. Will try that next.
Thanks

#4 11 years ago

if your getting buzz, wondering if there's a bad ground somewhere

#5 11 years ago

I will check for a bad ground, fuses and reseating checked and still get buzzing
thanks for the reply

#6 11 years ago

Are you sure the outlet you plugged into is grounded?

#7 11 years ago

I know you said "all lights turn on" but is it actually booting all the way into attract mode? Are you seeing what you would expect on the DMD?

#8 11 years ago

Sounds like you have something touching that should not be.

#9 11 years ago

Buzzing is normal on DE games. You can change every cap and all it might do is drop the buzz 10-30% Its interference via the bsmt2000

*EDIT* WOOOPS just read your post again. Is blanking led flashing?

#10 11 years ago

Any signs of battery corrosion on the board?

#11 11 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the replies. The noise is so loud that you can't keep it on to see if everything is working properly. There is no battery corrosion and I did replace the batteries. The outlet is grounded. I'll try and let it boot up when no one is at home to see if everything else is working.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from vivagolf:

Wow, thanks for all the replies. The noise is so loud that you can't keep it on to see if everything is working properly. There is no battery corrosion and I did replace the batteries. The outlet is grounded. I'll try and let it boot up when no one is at home to see if everything else is working.

Sounds to me maybe your speakers or speaker is shot...Unplug the connector on the board so you can turn the game on and do further inspections.

BTW,Any signs of burn marks by the small caps on the sound board?There are 3 caps

#13 11 years ago

Norma had the same problem

#14 11 years ago

Check the bridge rectifier on the power supply. It might be open and half-waving. Remove the board and put your multimeter on diode/continuity test. There are four diodes inside the rectifier that all share a connection with a neighboring diode. It's possible to test this while it's installed on the board. Connect a probe to any leg and connect the other probe to a neighboring leg. Now reverse the probes. You should see a number of around 500 one way and 1 the other. If you see 1 both ways or 0 either way the rectifier is bad. Do this all around the rectifier until you come back around.

#15 11 years ago

It drives me crazy when people ask for help, but haven't even checked the simple things first.

That's like me saying "Hey guys, I noticed one of my tires was low this morning! Any idea what could cause that? What should I do?"

Did you check to see if it was punctured?

Umm, no

Go check

Hey guys I found a nail in my tire. Thanks!

Not sure where this battery corrosion or bridge trouble shooting is coming from. That's news to me.

It's most likely a grounding problem as stated before.

For starters:
Look at the speaker connections and speakers
Tighten all the screws on the boards for grounding
Could also be the large filter cap on the sound board is shot and needs to be replaced (1000 mfd)

I'd start with those 3 before you start tearing into anything else.

#16 11 years ago

There is no state abbreviation, that I am aware of, "NO".

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Not sure where this battery corrosion or bridge trouble shooting is coming from. That's news to me.

It's most likely a grounding problem as stated before.

If the OP was just talking about a loud buzz coming from the speakers during gameplay, sure...but he also said:

Quoted from vivagolf:

All the lights turn on but you can't start the game.

I agree more info is needed, but a bad ground isn't going to prevent you from starting up a game (assuming the machine is booting in the first place, which is probably a bad assumption).

6 years later
#18 5 years ago

Any chance of an update on this? Did it get fixed? I'm having the same issue on a TMNT now. It is not the DE speaker hum that is so common. It's a loud blaring/buzzing sound that's so loud you can't keep the game on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 45.95
$ 18.95
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/loud-buzzing-out-of-speakers-when-turned-on?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.